• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Stratus Symbol

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote
I though Ougun Musou Kyoku X was already licenced.
There was talk with Carpe Fulgur forums on it, they said someone had already got it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote
Terror of the Stratus, a game made for the sole purpose of destroying memes? I'll buy it!
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
So no news about Metal Gear Solid Rising yet? Crying or Very sad
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
Might want to fix the bit about Golden Fantasia X in the article. I don't know how the linking to anime titles works in articles, but it's linking to Higurashi, not Umineko. And from the description and looks of it, it has nothing to do with Higurashi at all.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
New RPGs: Neither seems to hold much interest for me honestly. I could care less about some Monster Hunter clone.

Nintendo: They really need to update info on the new Kid Icarus. I'm sure people are dying to play it.

Elevator Action DX: Since you brought it up, I'd gladly pay for a new P&R game, but I assume the series has seen its last.

FF Type-0: Still pass. It doesn't sound or look that interesting, no matter how much promotion they put into it.

Macross Frontier: Stupid various companies, they have to ruin it for everyone. I used to want to finish the Macross series, but I've kind of given up on it.

Terror of the Stratus: This still looks like it would make a nifty sci-fi anime series.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Preordered the Limited Edition of the MGS HD Collection, so I'm super-psyched about this. And I really hope Beyond The Labyrinth gets licensed, because it looks really freaking neat!

And for shame, Todd: I remember Rumble Roses, and I loved the crap out of the cheesy exploitation rampant in RR:XX, which entertained the living bejeezus out of my younger self.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
No write up on Idolm@ster?
DJcream

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
No write up on Idolm@ster?
This.

Also this week had a some great domestic releases. Aside from Uncharted 3 on PS3, Fate/Extra came out on PSP. For those who care, Harvest Moon: Two Towns was also re-released on 3DS.
Konopan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
ONORE, HAAMONII GORUDO

But anyhow, tri-Ace games are always nice to hear about
xBTAx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
I though Ougun Musou Kyoku X was already licenced.
There was talk with Carpe Fulgur forums on it, they said someone had already got it.

Oh wow, you're right, though it's the PC version. Wonder if that'll actually happen. I'll just continue importing the Japanese versions in any case, since there'll probably be a translation patch for the story sometime soon anyway.

Also, regarding OMK: those goats aren't wearing masks.
vyrhn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
information about FF Type-0 being the 1st game with 2 UMDs for PSP is incorrect

IIRC Sora no Kiseki SC(2007) is the 1st game with 2 UMDs
swienke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I'll eat my socks if FF Type-0 never gets a Western release.

I realize that the PSP isn't anywhere near as popular here in the US as in Japan, but the game is still bound to attract the hard-core RPGers at least, and I'm sure Square could make a nice little profit off of the whole thing. And if the game is as good as the opening cinematic suggests, then it could help rehabilitate the franchise in the eyes of its recent critics. Seriously, there's every reason for Square to bring the game over here eventually, and no real good reason not to.
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The two MSX Metal Gears stay just as they were, with old-fashioned 2-D graphics and character portraits unabashedly based on movie stars.

They made new portraits for the subsistence versions of the games so unfortunately no Sean Connery Big Boss.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
swienke wrote:

I realize that the PSP isn't anywhere near as popular here in the US as in Japan, but the game is still bound to attract the hard-core RPGers at least, and I'm sure Square could make a nice little profit off of the whole thing. And if the game is as good as the opening cinematic suggests, then it could help rehabilitate the franchise in the eyes of its recent critics. Seriously, there's every reason for Square to bring the game over here eventually, and no real good reason not to.

It gets increasingly difficult to receive a favorable response for a JRPG with each passing year, as western gaming culture has largely moved away from them (and from anime in general). That's likely why Nintendo never bothered to bring Xenoblade Chronicles to America, for instance--JRPGs have become a niche here. Instead, western RPGs and MMORPGs have taken their place.

You also have to add in that game journalists are now openly biased towards or against certain genres, and JRPGs hit many foul notes for a lot of them (and a lot of western consumers): They're story-intensive, they're usually turn-based, customization is minimal to nonexistent, there isn't much multiplayer, and the protagonists tend to be young scrawny (and scrappy) upstarts with well-defined personality traits rather than the big hulking experienced Everymen that westerners seem to really love.

Much of this is why the Pokémon games continue to fly off the shelves whereas even Final Fantasy now struggles: It's light on story, heavy on customization, and has multiplayer as a major selling point. Western gamers want to establish an identity in an RPG that's theirs and feel like they're telling the story, not experiencing someone else's story through someone else's eyes. They can watch a movie or TV for that.

Don't get me wrong; I do enjoy JRPGs, and if I had a PSP, I'd pick up Type-0 if it came out in English. But I do find it useful to know why JRPGs are still the craze in Japan while they're taking a nosedive in the west.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1