• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kure-nai

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Kure-nai

Just watched the first episode, and I liked it enough to create a topic about it. It may not end up being one of my favorites out of the many series I'm watching this season but I do plan on finishing it. Who knows, I just might be surprised.

It's based on a series of light novels about the adventures of high schooler Shinkuro Kurenai and Murasaki Kuhouin. I haven't read the novels, so I went in only knowing that much. The first episode sets things up in a pretty good fashion. The first few minutes of the episode felt kind of "off" in its execution, but it got better as time went on and I was able to determine what was going on. The politics surrounding Shinkuro and his profession intrigues me (especially how spoiler[Shinkuro wants Benika to recognize him as a professional]), and I liked getting to know Murasaki's back-story. Her father has quite the opinion of women. Rolling Eyes

Being a Minami Kuribayashi fan I like the OP song. The animation sequence derails it quite a bit though. It's not poorly animated or anything, I just found it to be a little too silly for my tastes. I did not watch the ED this time around (skipped right to the preview), but I'll probably watch it next episode. The musical scoring is nice. I really like all the usage of piano (I play the piano myself).

Brain's Base (Baccano!, Kamichu!) is the studio behind the animation, and it looks pretty good thus far. I was expecting as much in terms of animation, since Baccano! and especially Kamichu! were both nicely animated. I can't compare them to the original novel art (having not seen it), but I like the anime's character designs. Especially Murasaki's and also that goth chick's (she's awesome, by the way).

The best part is the early stages of Shinkuro and Murasaki's relationship. It gets off to a rocky, yet also quite cute start, and given the events of the first episode I'm really looking forward to seeing their relationship develop over the course of the series. Oh, and did I mention that the goth lady is awesome? Anime smile I'm interested to see what happens in the next episode in regards to her, given the preview.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Guess you saved yourself from making another thread AG heh.. anyway the art is quite different from the manga/light novel in terms of style but I honestly don't mind the change. I guess anime Benika doesn't look as much of a bad ass as her manga counterpart but whatever the show looks great.

Out of the 7.5 (guess which lol gonzo title is the .5... lol) first episodes I've watched from this season this places 2nd so far behind Macross Frontier and it should get better. I'm really looking forward to seeing Manga chapter 2 animated.. though they might happen in epiode 4 or 5 since the manga ignored the meeting between the two main characters... I'm guessing it was going to cover it in a flashback.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
So far I definitely enjoy the show, other than the seemingly very out of place OP/ED. Seems fairly dramatic, but I hope it doesn't get too cliche with the interactions of the bratty girl, the teenager, and the two neighbor ladies. Overall seems promising, and I like the somewhat dark feel I get from the series in regards to it's potential plot, especially in regards to the main characters body. Overall looks like it could be one of the more interesting and deep shows of the season, with possibly an actual plot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:
So far I definitely enjoy the show, other than the seemingly very out of place OP/ED.

Yes, the OP is very out of place. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thought this.

Ultenth wrote:
I hope it doesn't get too cliche with the interactions of the bratty girl, the teenager, and the two neighbor ladies.

I feel the same way. It certainly has the potential to go that route, but the dark tone makes me think that it won't. Especially given what has transpired in regards to spoiler[Shinkuro's body], amongst other things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
It's my fav ed this season in terms of the actual song :( op is just something else lol
Ultenth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
It's my favorite ed this season in terms of the actual song Sad op is just something else lol

Don't get me wrong, the ED is a kinda fun cutsy up-beat song that actually doesn't grate on me like a lot of songs of that nature. It just seems really out of place given the somewhat more somber nature (other than bratty girl being bratty girl) of the first EP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Series will get a lot lighter but it will go back to being dark like this, Kure-nai's past is much more dark than what we saw in episode 1.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Dang it. I was gonna make this thread. Mad

Will watch the first episode in a while here.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Dang it. I was gonna make this thread. Mad

Sorry, Ko, but you were too slow. j/k Wink Thought I'd make a thread, seeing as how I don't create them too often.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Kure-nai will probably be the show that surprises me the most this season, which is my impression after watching just this first episode. It was on my "maybe" list along with Itazura na Kiss and one or two others.

Anyway, although the introduction didn't make sense to me at first, the more I watched of the episode the more everything started fitting together. Just from what we've been shown, I think we're going to see a lot of nice interaction between the two main characters, like we did with Lawrence and Horo. I really liked the goth chick and the spunky chick, too (Shinkuro's neighbors). I'd also like to learn more about what it is that Shinkuro does, same with Benika. Then there's Murasaki's home life. XP

I didn't really pay much attention to the OP and ED songs themselves because I was more interested in the animation used.

All in favor of the art as well. Looks nice. <3

(Finally having watched this, I can make a post in the "What are you watching?" thread soon.)

Jedi General wrote:
Sorry, Ko, but you were too slow.

I'm always slow. Anime smile + sweatdrop I only got around to making those other threads because they were weeks ahead of time.

Westlo wrote:
(guess which lol gonzo title is the .5... lol)

Blassreiter! Very Happy
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
This is a series I actually forgot to list in the Spring 2008 season thread was going to be on my maybe list. Anime smile + sweatdrop Whatever the case though, I think it's still on my maybe list. There's just too many good series this season, and I've already got my 4 musts. Right now I'm kind of going through a bit of stress thinking about whether or not I either want to go ahead and go more than 4 or drop some of the 4 for others, in which that last one I highly doubt is going to happen. But from the plot summary it sounds like it could be potentially be a great series, and it sounds like some of you are liking it quite a bit so far as well. So I guess we'll see. It mostly just depends on what I decide to do about the whole 4 series limit thing. (That doesn't exclude following Naruto and Bleach now that I think about it, so it's actually more like 6. Anime smile + sweatdrop )
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Anyway, although the introduction didn't make sense to me at first, the more I watched of the episode the more everything started fitting together.

That's pretty much how I felt as well. The beginning was a bit hard to follow, but it all made sense later.

Quote:
Just from what we've been shown, I think we're going to see a lot of nice interaction between the two main characters, like we did with Lawrence and Horo.

Yup, and if it is anything like the interplay in Spice and Wolf, then it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing at all. I'm really looking forward to future episodes with that in mind.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Sorry, Ko, but you were too slow.

I'm always slow. Anime smile + sweatdrop I only got around to making those other threads because they were weeks ahead of time.

It's good that you made those threads, since it got folks interested. Don't worry though. I won't steal your Kaiba thread from you. Well, unless you take too long to make it again. Wink

EDIT:

@BroEly: Don't stress yourself. You can always catch up later if you drop a series or something.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
@BroEly: Don't stress yourself. You can always catch up later if you drop a series or something.

Yeah, you're definitely right. I think that's what I'm going to do, either that or think about it over time as to whether or not I want to expand past 6. It'll be a little stressful having to catch up with some of these though, but I guess we'll see. But then there's the possibility of some of these getting licensed as well, so that might help quite a bit.

Whatever the case though, just do note that both this and Kaiba are at the top of my list as series that are on hold for now. Smile Druaga, I've gone ahead and decided not so much.....
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

Yeah, you're definitely right. I think that's what I'm going to do, either that or think about it over time as to whether or not I want to expand past 6. It'll be a little stressful having to catch up with some of these though, but I guess we'll see. But then there's the possibility of some of these getting licensed as well, so that might help quite a bit.

Whatever the case though, just do note that both this and Kaiba are at the top of my list as series that are on hold for now. Smile Druaga, I've gone ahead and decided not so much.....

Getting caught on series up can be fun. At least for me anyway. When I got caught up on Ghost Hound not too long ago, it was great to be able to watch at once. Series getting licensed would be nice though. Gives me an excuse to stop following wait for the DVDs (although I'm a bit more wary of doing that after dropping so many series that were licensed by Geneon).

I hope you do decide to watch Kaiba in the future! Druaga I don't mind so much. I have a feeling that the rest of the series may not be as enjoyable as the first episode anyway.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Getting caught on series up can be fun. At least for me anyway. When I got caught up on Ghost Hound not too long ago, it was great to be able to watch at once. Series getting licensed would be nice though. Gives me an excuse to stop following wait for the DVDs (although I'm a bit more wary of doing that after dropping so many series that were licensed by Geneon).

And the thing about it is that some of the series I'm watching right now, such as Real Drive and Soul Eater, are actually series I wouldn't be too surprised to see get licensed before the end of their run too, while series like this one and Kaiba might not be for a while. So that could prove to be a good advantage there.

As for marathoning a series, yeah, I can admit it's quite fun, I'm just worried about the kind of time constraints it'd give me is all.

Quote:
I hope you do decide to watch Kaiba in the future! Druaga I don't mind so much. I have a feeling that the rest of the series may not be as enjoyable as the first episode anyway.

Well, I don't think I'd mind Druaga much either if there weren't so many other series I'd rather watch. I just don't think I want to put something like it as a priority amongst the kind of shows I'm already watching is all. That and like you said, in hearing about how the series might to downhill after that first episode in that thread, that doesn't make it any more promising......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13