• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime on [adult swim]?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NExclusive

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't find a thread on it and I've heard plenty of rumors both in the adultswim.com forum as well as from other anime forums,but why did they stop airing anime during the week and just limit it to Saturday nights? This was mainly my only source of anime for the week and now I'm left with poor attempts at comedy-cartoons...Is there a reason why most anime is gone from adult swim and is there anything we can do to try to bring it back? Confused
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Long story short- Noone was watching it. You could argue that it was their own damn fault- I can't remember their lineup, but I do recall it was pretty unremarkable. In any case, no big loss. They still have Saturdays, and Jetstream.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Long story short- Noone was watching it. You could argue that it was their own damn fault- I can't remember their lineup, but I do recall it was pretty unremarkable. In any case, no big loss. They still have Saturdays, and Jetstream.

So they move to the anime to Saturday, the dark ugly void of NO RATINGS because no ones watching TV then, and then they wonder why these shows bomb in the ratings. You'd be better off forgetting adult swim and just moving on to Sci-Fi.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Remember, NExclusive, if you have Adult Swim I'm assuming you have a package that includes SciFi, so watch for their AniMonday block as well. Depending on your cable package, also look out for anime on IFC, Starz Edge, Encore Action and Encore WAM. If you add all of them up, there's actually quite a bit of anime on cable if you have a good package, ranging from some real clunckers to an occasional classic once in a blue moon. So don't give up just because AS has scaled back to Saturday/early Sunday.
CSousuke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, [AS] to me has gone way down hill. They replaces shows like Full Metal Alchemist for moronic shoes like Assy McGee and Fat Guy Stuck In Internet. Although they do have a few good shows left, I don't watch it that much anymore (except Saturdays).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
If you're lucky enough to live near certain cities here in the country, it's possible for you to get Funimation Channel. Specific cities would be New York City; Sacarmento, CA; Wausau, Wisconsin; and Dayton and Columbus in Ohio. From what I've looked up, the Funi Channel in New York City is the only one that runs 24/ 7 while the others are in television blocks. Anyone who can get Verizon FIOS could also get the channel. It used to broadcast on Colours TV every evening during the week on DISH Network, but was pulled from the network for unknown reasons a few months ago.

There's also ADV's Anime Network offered through Video On Demand from some cable providers and DirecTV which ceased its 24/ 7 broadcast run back in January.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:

So they move to the anime to Saturday, the dark ugly void of NO RATINGS because no ones watching TV then, and then they wonder why these shows bomb in the ratings. You'd be better off forgetting adult swim and just moving on to Sci-Fi.

Given that Bleach was the second-biggest thing in anime for awhile (after Naruto), and Death Note has since replaced it, I would assume the shows are actually doing just fine.

Honestly, I don't see where the "AS on Saturdays brings in crappy ratings" idea. I mean, compared to what? Their weekday evening broadcasts obviously do worse.

Maybe what you mean is that people are forced to watch anime on a night where they should be out getting drunk and trying to have sex with other drunks, and so it's a choice between being a pathetic geek and being pathetic in socially acceptable ways?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what they will replace deathnote with? I'm hoping they have a new series instead of another round of flcl and samurai champloo.
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
i'm still piss that Time Warner got rid of their Anime on Demand.......but yea if you have regular cable you can get sci-fi and watch anime on monday.
NExclusive

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Remember, NExclusive, if you have Adult Swim I'm assuming you have a package that includes SciFi, so watch for their AniMonday block as well. Depending on your cable package, also look out for anime on IFC, Starz Edge, Encore Action and Encore WAM. If you add all of them up, there's actually quite a bit of anime on cable if you have a good package, ranging from some real clunckers to an occasional classic once in a blue moon. So don't give up just because AS has scaled back to Saturday/early Sunday.

Unfortunately,I don't have the cable package that includes IFC,starz,etc..but I do have scifi so I'll give the anime they're showing monday nights a shot,thanks for the tip Very Happy
fullmetal biologist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder what they will replace deathnote with? I'm hoping they have a new series instead of another round of flcl and samurai champloo.

This is what I am wondering too. I have to thank AS for introducing me to Death Note and GITS:SAC but that channel could be so frustrating. I remember one time I was trying to record all of the Cowboy Bebop episodes and on April Fool's Day they changed their schedule (for fun!) and (because I'm a fool) I missed an episode which was crucial to Spike's back-story. Aargh!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Given that Bleach was the second-biggest thing in anime for awhile (after Naruto), and Death Note has since replaced it, I would assume the shows are actually doing just fine.

Honestly, I don't see where the "AS on Saturdays brings in crappy ratings" idea. I mean, compared to what? Their weekday evening broadcasts obviously do worse.

Maybe what you mean is that people are forced to watch anime on a night where they should be out getting drunk and trying to have sex with other drunks, and so it's a choice between being a pathetic geek and being pathetic in socially acceptable ways?

Even if Bleach and Naruto bring in some ratings, they have absolutely no variety and will never be able to expand or profit off brining these shows to TV.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Even if Blech and Narutu bring in some ratings, they have absolutely no variety and will never be able to expand or profit off brining these shows to TV.

Uhhh... no, not true on both counts. If they're not profiting off Naruto, which is (I think) their most successful show, then they're not going to profit off anything, making the point moot. And as for variety- well, for one those two shows are not homogeneous, and though both fall well within the shonen genre they take markedly different tacks with it. And then you add Death Note, Code Geass, and (pushing it a little) Inu Yasha reruns, and you've got a pretty impressive range.

Really... why is it that people always look at AS through shit-tinted glasses? People always go on about how the channel sucks, the lineup sucks, they hate anime, they're obviously failing, they can't get good shows, etc. Yet from my point of view, they still get stuff that gets good press, they air no fewer than three series that are or were at some point the biggest thing in anime, they have a consistently better lineup then any other network doing an anime block, and for all its ups and downs the block has stayed on line and provided good viewing consistently since the 90's, though admittedly they've never gotten the weekday schedule to work. Okay, sure, the fact that they don't have a monopoly on televised anime anymore has weakened them and Loki the Scheduler's schtick can get very exasperating, but really is that worth all the prophecies of doom? Honestly, the more people doom and gloom over the fate of CN, the more it really sounds to me like they just think they're too cool to root for the establishment, or somesuch...
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Even if Blech and Narutu bring in some ratings, they have absolutely no variety and will never be able to expand or profit off brining these shows to TV.

What the heck are you talking about? First of all, in television, profit is ALL about ratings. Not variety. If profit was about variety there is no way that a show like Everybody Loves Raymond would have been the smash hit that it was. I mean, every episode was the same. Did that deter America for tuning in for nine seasons*... or from really enjoying the re-runs once the show ended?

Television makes money from the commercials. The channel sets the commercial prices by how many people tune in and, thus, will see said commercial. So if shows like Naruto and Bleach are getting good ratings, then they are bringing in money because of the commercials.

Not to mention the merchandising of both shows. I don't know how much of a cut CN/AS gets for the various shirts/figurines/cards/posters/etc sold for each show, but I'm sure they get something. And that is just icing on the cake.

*not really sure about that number. but whatever it was it was much higher than it should have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
Right because we all know other channels with a lot of cartoons like nickelodeon make all their money off reruns and only have to make 6 episodes a year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10