• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Haruhi Suzumiya Figures Bundled with Coffee Cans

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Who the heck is Sasaki? I'm only on the 6th book and theres no mention of her that I know of yet and in the anime. Won't Tsuruya make more sense for the 5th person?

Last edited by nhat on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeoFireHawk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Who the heck is Sasaki? I only on the 5th book and theres no mention of her that I know of yet. Won't Tsuruya make more sense for the 5th person?

Sasaki first appears in the 8th novel I believe. And she is a really important main character, so of course she would be chosen over Tsuruya, who is after all, only a side character. You need to remember that this is not aimed towards Americans (where the latest novel released is the sixth one) but towards the typical Japanese Haruhi fan, who will most likely have read the whole eleven novels already.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
NeoFireHawk wrote:
nhat wrote:
Who the heck is Sasaki? I only on the 5th book and theres no mention of her that I know of yet. Won't Tsuruya make more sense for the 5th person?

Sasaki first appears in the 8th novel I believe. And she is a really important main character, so of course she would be chosen over Tsuruya, who is after all, only a side character. You need to remember that this is not aimed towards Americans (where the latest novel released is the sixth one) but towards the typical Japanese Haruhi fan, who will most likely have read the whole eleven novels already.

I was going to say, they must be way ahead of the novels and the anime to introduce those characters. I thought the anime was up to date somewhat at least.
NeoFireHawk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
First of all, I think I made a mistake in my last post: Sasaki first appears in the 9th novel, not the 8th one. Sorry for the mix-up.
nhat wrote:

I was going to say, they must be way ahead of the novels and the anime to introduce those characters. I thought the anime was up to date somewhat at least.

There is enough material for at least another season and another movie already. The anime has adapted only the first four novels fully and stories published in the fifth and sixth novel. I believe that the first story not adapted into anime is "Snowy Mountain Syndrome" that is included in volume five. Of the sixth novel, only one or two stories were in the anime. The seventh, eight, ninth, tenth and eleventh novel are completely new material yet to be animated.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Who the heck is Sasaki? I'm only on the 6th book and theres no mention of her that I know of yet and in the anime. Won't Tsuruya make more sense for the 5th person?

She's mentioned in the 6th volume, but not by name. spoiler[The guy with a crush on Nagato talks about Kyon's middle school girl friend who Kyon says was just a friend and hasn't seen since graduating. That was Sasaki. When characters that knew Kyon in middle school talk about his attraction to weird girls that's an off-handed reference to Sasaki as well.]

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1