• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Anime have you found the most touching?

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Verdoozle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I would personally have to say Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. I thought it was really well done and the character development i thought was really well done. That is by far the closest I have ever come to crying.
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I really don't know which anime, because most anime that's good, is usually touching... It would have to go to either Love Hina (Series, not the rest of it, which i didn't like) and manga, and Nadesico, because both ended with direction of continuation but with no conclusive end. Great characters that we are unable to see anymore! Confused Confused
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
thebraxtonidentity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
The ending to the tv series is weak to be sure, but EoE answers all your major questions you might think were unanswered. The reason Evangelion is such a widely known anime is because it was original, an animation achievement, and had an all-around magnificent plot. Though some may think the ending to EoE was weak, they only think that because they are incapable of seeing past the literal ending. They are unable to ask themselves what they think because they are too busy whining over why the show didn't tell them what to think. The many interpretations are a great way to keep the story alive.
menshi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
I don't really understand why but One Piece is the most emotional for me. For example spoiler[ When Luffy is kicking the desks out of Arlong Park because Nami hated being there, end of Crocodile Arc luffy's action there.] Spoiler very far into anime wouldn't read this if your not past 200+ or so spoiler[The fight between Luffy and Usopp out of respect for him goes all out even when Usopp has no chance at all.]
NinjaJedi007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:22 am Reply with quote
Naruto is quite touching for me. There's something about it that hits all the right spots. The sad scenes are so effective they almost always bring out the tears. Any emotional scene works so well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:44 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd have to say either Figure 17 and/or Haibane Renmei.

I say Figure 17 because it has some of the best character development and depth that I've seen. Despite the sci-fi backdrop it's really just a story about Tsubasa and how she lives and grows once Hikaru enters her life. It manages to get you to really care for the characters more so than most shows do, and not just the main characters but most every supporting character as well. The story is so well told and the characters are so well portrayed that it's easy to forget it's just an anime as it sometimes feels so real. In the end spoiler[when Tsubasa is standing in the field after she seperates from Hikaru and looks around and realizes that Hikaru is gone and starts to cry is really one of the saddest moments I've seen in an anime].

Now Haibane Renmei gets a mention because like the above mentioned anime it also has well done character development and depth to it. It brings you into the life of the Haibane and tells a touching tale about friendship and redemption and does so in a very personal fashion through the eyes of Rakka as she faces the unknown world she finds herself in and the realities of that world. The series has a really deep meaning and does a great job in driving that point home, all while presenting a very real feeling slice of life style portrayal of the Haibane and their lives there to the point you really care for the characters and feel for them in the tough situations they face.

I guess ultimately for me the most important factor is obviously character development when it comes to how much a series touches me. No matter how well the story is told or the plot is paced or how much gore is seen or action is done, if I don't care about the characters and truly understand them as a person then it's hard for the story to really reach me on that level. Characters are everything to me, they need to be believable and they need to have depth. I really need to feel like I've gotten to know them to start to feel for their situation and be touched by their story overall, if the characters are weak then their story and how much I truly care for it is weakened. I can still enjoy the series and the story, but will I find it touching if the characters are undeveloped and I care little about them? No.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15