• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Listen To Me Girls, I'm Your Father! (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Listen To Me Girls, I'm Your Father! (TV) Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai!

Encyclopedia plot summary wrote:
College student Yuuta Segawa is suddenly given custody of his older sister's three daughters, aged 14, 10, and 3. They're now stuck living together in a 10 square meter apartment. Meanwhile Raika, the object of his affection, has a fondness of cuteness, and his unexpected arrivals may finally offer an opportunity for them to get together.

Well if you were looking for a new romance comedy series, with cuteness and subtle loli and incest themes, here it is. I found a couple things interesting, while others have some problems. Firstly the guy has someone he like who is of an understandable age, and chances are she like him. Bad side is his the 14 year old daughter of his sister likes him, with an embarassing walk in scene involved, well she is actually the child from a previous mariage. Not put in the summary was that all three of the daughters (his nieces) were from different mariages, he did not aprove of the mariage and became estranged from them so that he does not really even know the youngest who is the biological relative.

I definetly had fondness of him playing with the 3 year old, she seemed kind of realistic with demanding and not understanding. Reminded me of being with my mother's cousin's kids. I liked hearing Daisuke Ono being a player, and abbandoning the MC like he did. The Love interest (Raika) is the often emotionless type, but does some odd things, which could be fun, I also have such a weakness for black haired anime girls with red eyes. Oh and the nerd/ geek character, I swear I have seen someoen who looks just like him else where, perhaps Highschool of the Dead.

This series looks to fits into my guilty pleasure. Not quite in a dirty way.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote
This is exactly what I've been waiting for all season long. Twisted Evil

The 3 year old is definitely the cutest with the way she talks, realistic and adorable at the same time!

One thing that still confounds me is how the girls all have different hair colour...his brother-in-law must get remarried a lot.

Last edited by Gon*Gon on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ringking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:02 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
This is exactly what I've been waiting for all season long. Twisted Evil

One thing that still confounds me is how the girls all have different hair colour...his brother-in-law must get remarried a lot.

Dunno how you figure that one. Even if they were all biologically related to the MC (we know they aren't, but for examples sake) they could still all have different hair colors assuming that one of the grandparents was blonde. Of course, we know that two sets of parents are involved here, so that makes it even easier:

Sora- fathers hair color (its lighter, but its still brown)
Miu- father's previous wifes hair colour
Hina- Mothers hair colour

Not much to say on the series thus far personally. Not much hope of it being the season's standout, but its good enough that the first episode hasn't turned me away from the series.

If I had any criticisms it would be how much of this first episode is spent focusing on the main characters interaction with Raika as opposed to more important first episode checklist requirements like establishing the premise of the series or introducing the MC's nieces (did Miu's name even get a mention? I dont recall it. Had to look up her name on wiki).

That and the noses. For some reason the noses on the majority of the characters jump out at me as being drawn weirdly.

Last edited by Ringking on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:11 am Reply with quote
Yes yes it can all be explained away by genetics but it's still hella weird whenever it happens nonetheless. I'm assuming one of the previous wives was blonde.

On the other hand, a man keeping the children and remarrying so often is weird by itself.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
Didn't he say in the flashback something like "he's got two kids from two previous marriages". That would mean that each one likely has a different biological mother, chances the middle child's mother was western, she also seems to like a lot of attention.

Of course it is understandable the MC would be against it, the guy had two marriages which ended with him keeping the kid.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
This is pure speculations...but something tells me the couple suddenly being away for so long might have to do with one of the father's previous wives. Settlement issues or something.

And if I have one criticism......it felt like they just ended the first episode right in the middle. As though there's nothing really to end the episode with.
Ringking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
According to Wiki one of his wives was Russian, hence the blonde hair. And yeah, it is mentioned that there was two previous marriages, I read that as 'from a previous marriage' the first time around, just FF'ed though the episode again to check.
killmyself

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
This show looks like it is going to be a nice surprise for me. The new shows this season were looking really weak thus far. Nisemonogatari and Daily Lives of High School Boys seem like they will both be very good to great but everything else has been mediocre at best. With BRS not starting for another month I was worried I wouldn't have much of anything to watch but thankfully this show has stepped in to help fill the void.
Sebow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
With the 2012 anime preview titles being named stuff like "Listen To Me Girls, I'm your Father!", "Bodacious Space Pirates" and "Baby, Please Kill Me!", I really wonder whether the marketing departments could use a bit of love and affection.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
This was my most anticipated anime for the winter. I love animes where a teenager main character has to take care of little kids, like Aishiteruze baby and Kure-nai. I started reading the manga which started in October and it was nice to see the anime take a different approach. The manga jumped the gun with spoiler[the 3 siblings living with the MC] , while the anime is starting from the beginning. Yesterday I was excited to see on animelist that this would be 24 episodes, but apparently that was a typo as it is only 12 episodes long. Oh well.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
There's just one thing I REALLY have trouble understanding...

Why all the talk about incest or how squicky this show is due to it?

Anyone who even read the premise should know that two of the girls aren't even spoiler[related] to him at all. The only one that has any relations to him isspoiler[ Hina], and her relationship with Yuuta is just one of "adowwable niece and uncle who plays along with niece".

Starting to think many people don't even know what incest really is. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
Well people squick over just step siblings having a relationship, some would have a problem with his step niece having a trouble with his step niece having a crush on him. Well she is only about 4-5 years younger than him, but still young. Actually I wonder what the age differemce between the mother and father is.

Anyway about being squicked out, I am not, I have seen Onii-chan no Koto, Kiss X Sis, and Yosuga no Sora.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well people squick over just step siblings having a relationship, some would have a problem with his step niece having a trouble with his step niece having a crush on him. Well she is only about 4-5 years younger than him, but still young. Actually I wonder what the age differemce between the mother and father is.

Then that's not even incest. Rolling Eyes

The only objection that comes from incest is the slight increase in chance of mutation of the offspring. If it's step-siblings, it's exactly the same thing as being in a relationship outside of incest. Same goes for adopted siblings etc.
killmyself

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

The only objection that comes from incest is the slight increase in chance of mutation of the offspring. If it's step-siblings, it's exactly the same thing as being in a relationship outside of incest. Same goes for adopted siblings etc.

Position of power and influence argument like with teachers. I don't have a problem with it just sayin'.

WTF does squick mean.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
Whitehairgirls - definitely...the manga that's serialized in Jump Square starts the story at a different point. Since that was my first exposure to the series (picked up the manga because why not and the anime was coming out soon), the first half was puzzling to me until the second half. I guess I have hunt down all the other current manga adaptions and see where they start the story.

Gon*Gon wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Because it's still within the family? I don't know since I have no objection to that really, either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 22