• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Contents Expo Sells 18,508 Tickets in 2 Days

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
And the war is on................ Laughing
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
This is the offshoot from Tokyo Anime Fair right? Was it about Ishihara or just normal corruption in the TAF leadership?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
This is the offshoot from Tokyo Anime Fair right? Was it about Ishihara or just normal corruption in the TAF leadership?

Ishihara and the Tokyo Youth Bill:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-12-28/anime/manga-firms-plan-anime-contents-expo-in-march
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Tokyo International Anime Fair is March 24 to 25.(N2 may stream this one.)
Anime Contents Expo is March 31 to April 1.
Both shows are trying to raise fund for Tohoku Earthquake. Maybe few years later, then we will see direct competition.
mdreura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Ishihara and the Tokyo Youth Bill:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-12-28/anime/manga-firms-plan-anime-contents-expo-in-march

Was expecting this to be mentioned in the article, or linked to as a follow-up, but surprised to see it wasn't.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:13 am Reply with quote
I think they are already competing since there are a couple publishers who are only attending ACE. I think being outside of Tokyo has some symbolic significance too
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Tokyo International Anime Fair is March 24 to 25.(N2 may stream this one.)
Anime Contents Expo is March 31 to April 1.
Both shows are trying to raise fund for Tohoku Earthquake. Maybe few years later, then we will see direct competition.

Maybe sooner than later. It was supposed to be on the same weekend last year, but then the earthquake+tsunami happened, so both were cancelled. But even if they're not on the same weekend, due to the aforementioned acrimonious split and with nearby dates, they're definitely in competition. Ishihara wants to prove TAF can do fine without them, while the rebels want to prove they as content-makers are more important than the Fair.

configspace wrote:
I think they are already competing since there are a couple publishers who are only attending ACE. I think being outside of Tokyo has some symbolic significance too

Many more than a couple, and yeah, they don't want to bring ACE business into Tokyo because of the Youth Bill.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote
Speaking of which I need to go buy mine too....

An explanation for the high number of ticket sales though is that the stages are by lottery and each ticket includes a serial number to apply for the stage lottery. I'll probably be buying more than one so I can put in more applications.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
Damn... I so, so, so want to go. But alas, different country, during term and lack of funds. Would honestly kill to attend the Nanoha Movie 2nd event that will have Yukari Tamura and Mizuki Nana attending.

One of these days, I'll get their autographs!!!
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Um, is that a lot? It really doesn't seem to be a very large number.

Comiket has five hundred thousand attendees. TAF has over a hundred thousand. ACE seems like AM2 to TAF's Anime Expo.
milksbetter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Can you believe it? Even my mom felt for anime! Now we get on hahaped together to get news about anime!
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:

Comiket has five hundred thousand attendees. TAF has over a hundred thousand. ACE seems like AM2 to TAF's Anime Expo.

According to the ACE organizers, this is the most advance tickets that the Animate, Gamers, and Shosen stores have sold for any anime event. ACE topped the previous record in only two days of sales.

While TAF did have a cumulative attendance of 132,492 in 2010, that number combines all four days, so a person who attends all four days is counted four times. TAF 2010's biggest one-day attendance, 54,456, was on its final day.

Comiket's attendance numbers are also cumulative across all three days, and it is free, so there are no tickets.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Nayu wrote:

According to the ACE organizers, this is the most advance tickets that the Animate, Gamers, and Shosen stores have sold for any anime event. ACE topped the previous record in only two days of sales.

While TAF did have a cumulative attendance of 132,492 in 2010, that number combines all four days, so a person who attends all four days is counted four times. TAF 2010's biggest one-day attendance, 54,456, was on its final day.

Comiket's attendance numbers are also cumulative across all four days, and it is free, so there are no tickets.

Are these one day passes? Do you have to buy multiple passes to cover the entire event? Even at 132k attendees, that's still nearly twice as many per day as the presale has sold. Also, does TAF do presales and what has its numbers been?

Also, is there an attendance limit for the space that this is being held at? If so, and since this is only a two day event, these sales would naturally be elevated as people who really really want to attend want to avoid not being able to based on these limitations.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Nayu wrote:

Comiket's attendance numbers are also cumulative across all four days, and it is free, so there are no tickets.

Are these one day passes? Do you have to buy multiple passes to cover the entire event? Even at 132k attendees, that's still nearly twice as many per day as the presale has sold. Also, does TAF do presales and what has its numbers been?

Also, is there an attendance limit for the space that this is being held at? If so, and since this is only a two day event, these sales would naturally be elevated as people who really really want to attend want to avoid not being able to based on these limitations.

TAF also launched ticket pre-sales on Saturday, but it has not announced its numbers yet. ACE posted an attendance estimate of 50,000 before pre-sales began, but its venue, three halls in the Makuhari Messe, can comfortable handle much more than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1