• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guess LE Madoka wasn't so limited

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
People are upset it isn't sold out?
Here I've been looking at things from the point of view that once something's released to market, it should stay available.

I know that I'm a bit upset that I'll never get the chance to own Garden of Sinners. I may still have not seen it, but even after I do, I won't be able to make that choice.

"Limited Edition" should be less about "I can haz shiny things and you can't" and more about "edition that costs more but has more extras"... I went out and preordered all three LEs as soon as they became available, since, well, I wanted the extras.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Some might think that "limited" is part of the meaning of "limited". And part of its appeal.
I don't think it's snobby to want to own an actually limited release (to enjoy in my gold plated bath). And if I miss out on something? I nurse a great rage and hatred for those who got their Garden of Sinners BD when I didn't, but I don't begrudge them their own smug response to my jealousy.
Eri94

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
People are upset it isn't sold out?
Here I've been looking at things from the point of view that once something's released to market, it should stay available.

I know that I'm a bit upset that I'll never get the chance to own Garden of Sinners. I may still have not seen it, but even after I do, I won't be able to make that choice.

"Limited Edition" should be less about "I can haz shiny things and you can't" and more about "edition that costs more but has more extras"... I went out and preordered all three LEs as soon as they became available, since, well, I wanted the extras.

Except not. It's called LIMITED edition, not "collectors" edition.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
I might want to throw in Oreimo for example sold out in a little over a month. Came out October 18, sold out December 1/2. Pre-orders opened back in like July.

Madoka's LE sales are hindered from having a regular DVD and Blu-ray to choose from. With Oreimo, that subbed-only DVD was your only option.

I'm really curious as to how long this will stay in-stock, especially since Madoka's LE's (Mainly the 1st.) have NEVER left Rightstuf's best-seller list since they were solicited. I currently don't have a job (Well, I do have lawn-mowing.),Fate/Zero put me in the hole, and there are other things I want that currently have counters on Rightstuf, so I'm hoping it stays around long enough for me to get it. I don't want to miss out on the LE.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiney

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
Except not. It's called LIMITED edition, not "collectors" edition.

Limited edition could also mean for a "limited TIME PERIOD" where AoA will continue printing more batch to meet the demands, like Aniplex (of Japan) often do for their JP limited edition release.

You can still buy the limited JP Madoka BD and those were released half a year + ago before the NA release.

Are some release limited in quantity like Oreimo and Baccano, sure, but I doubt all of AoA release are.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
The only thing I hope is that AoA doesn't draw the conclusion that their offering of a cheaper DVD and BD release hurt sales of the LE to the point where they don't offer this model in the future. I liked the show enough to go for the LE but there may be other shows in the future where just the bare bones BD release would be fine for me.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Shiney wrote:

Limited edition could also mean for a "limited TIME PERIOD" where AoA will continue printing more batch to meet the demands, like Aniplex (of Japan) often do for their JP limited edition release.

So you're saying that anime Limited Editions are just like anime DVDs period? Even Funimation's SAVE editions have a limited time period. I'm still unconvinced as the only Limited Edition DVDs I have have numbers on them.

As to my previous post here, my problem with the basic release is as I said, the episode count per disc and not exactly the price. I have paid as much per episode previously but that was 8 episodes per regular DVD for the entire set at once and it's the most "visually appealing" anime DVD I own; Of course, they mastered the hell out of it and the DVDs weigh twice as much as regular DVDs but I'm ok with paying for quality.

As long as it's with quantity. Aniplex of America has their own system and it's not mine. I have three and four episode releases as well and I hate them, I really hate them. If I had to collect and watch shows with two episodes per disk {for "maximum content quality", a reason I've heard before which never made any sense to me} like the Japanese, I'd probably import DVDs or just stick with streaming.

Madoka can fit on 2 {or Three?! If has to be three then shouldn't it have about six hours of HD bonus footage?} BDs? Fine, stick them in a pack and tell me about it. I've seen the show in Japanese and the dub version is in my Hulu queue and I'll watch them after they've all been released. The anime releasing model in America has been agreed upon and this isn't it. The only thing preventing Aniplex of America from going Bandai is limited print runs/lowered expectations/limited sales outlets.

Oh, and the fact they're their own bosses so they define what "success" is. That's probably an important point.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac

For advertising purposes, "Limited" means anything the seller wants it to mean. If they tell you what the limitation is, they are stuck with that. If they don't say, it remains open.

In the case of this or any other anime release, it can mean a limited number, or a limited time period for purchase, or a special box or special pack in not included with other items. I expect by now that enough people have bought the first volume to figure out what is limited about this release.

The only "agreement" in anime releasing is that imposed by people's purchasing habits. Aniplex is free to use any method they care to, their risk and their gain. Success for Aniplex is the same for any company, enough profit to keep the company running.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I guess maybe a better way to have put it would have been to say, "...and TRSI decides it's going to lower the price of the LEs to get rid of them, that would suck for me."
\
Same for me on that matter. I'd feel bad for them too, albeit when they keep the prices this high I kind of feel that they should have been hurt on the demand side. I don't want every company out there doing what Aniplex has been even if this was a good release in many ways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3