• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
face in the windowpane wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
10. Ouran High School Host Club
Why would this start off a guys' list? Well, it's because this show is freaking funny. Whether your a fan of semi-yaoi or not, this show brings high class comedy and awesomeness to the table. A true pick up for someone looking for laughs.

I gotta ask, how much male fanservice is in this show? I've been wanting a show with lots of cute guys in it, and if the guys are making out with each other then all the better!

Will this satisfy my needs?

It might. There isn't making out per se, but faking making out to make the host club customers happy. This is mainly done between Kaoru and Hikaru, the twins. That being said, it's played for laughs. In the end it's more of a reverse harem with a large percentage of the male characters falling for Haruhi, the leading lady. But if you're into pretty boys, there are certainly plenty of them, always fawning after young ladies of refined tastes.
face in the windowpane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
@ Mylene

That sounds pretty good! I generally try to avoid harem shows, but, with this one being reversed, it seems like a great justice has been dealt and it would be a crime to miss out. I had already added Ouran to my list of titles to purchase, but I might have to get it sooner than planned now.

Thanks!
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
face in the windowpane wrote:
I gotta ask, how much male fanservice is in this show? I've been wanting a show with lots of cute guys in it, and if the guys are making out with each other then all the better!

Will this satisfy my needs?

If you want guys making out, you won't get it. This is the ultimate "let's give the girls what they want without trying to drive out the guys" anime. That's why I like it. It has yaoi feels, but the comedy keeps me coming back for more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
Here's my top 10. It's been ages since I've updated mine. I'll try to keep it relatively short and to the point. I also can't really number this. It's just too difficult too.

Top 10

Twelve Kingdoms - I believe it to be the pinnacle of fantasy in anime. The apparent weakness of the first few episodes becomes one of the animes greatest strengths (character development). The world building is the cream of the crop. The characters are truly endearing. The soundtrack is wonderful. Its only flaw is that is incomplete.

Millennium Actress - Satoshi Kon was one of the greatest directors in anime and I consider this to be his masterwork. It seamlessly blends reality and memories in to one of the most memorable works I've ever seen. It almost feels as if you are a part of the movie.

Mind Game - This movie is probably the most under-appreciated movie in the history of animation. And it's a shame, because it is one of the most creative works I have ever seen. It uses multiple different kinds of animation. Along with Millennium Actress, it really shows what anime is capable of.

Berserk - The best dark fantasy anime. Superb characters. You witness the rise and fall of one of the most developed band of characters in the medium. Everyone has a soul here. There is not a character in the main cast that you will not care for.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Until I saw this show, I did not think the world building in Twelve Kingdoms would have been surpassed. This show is the pinnacle of world building. The characters are very real and their development satisfying. There is no good and evil here. The writing is nearly flawless. I am only 84 episodes in, and their is not a thing it could do to ruin what it has already. This is what every space opera wants to be.

NANA - I always hated soap operas. Until I saw this. Probably overall the most heart wrenching show I've seen. The direction and writing is masterful. It develops a large cast of characters, and probably has the most real characters in the medium.

Mononoke
- This is brutally under watched. The art style is fantastic. The soundtrack is wonderful (there is no "music" in the since everyone is familiar with, instead sounds make up the track, with the exception of the opening and ending). The animation and the style is breathtaking. The sense of wonder and curiosity this anime evokes is impressive.

Voices of a Distant Star - A 30 minute short film done by one man. What this film does in this short time frame is incredible. It brought me to tears. I consider it to be one of the greatest short films of all time (anime or live action). How this was done by one person blows me away.

Ghost in the Shell - etches out Haibane Renmei for the last spot only because I had just watched this one recently. Master craftsmanship at its finest. Philosophical, but not preachy. It believes in the intelligence of its audience, something that should never be taken for granted. The animation is top-notch and it remains some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. It reflects some of our dreams about the future, but also our fears, in one package. Breathtaking from start to finish.

Kino's Journey -
Episodic, but that is not a bad thing. Each episode tells a different story that relates to human nature. Amazing stories that will make you question humanity and sit contemplating for hours. Also, the main character and his motorbike are really charming.

Honorable Mentions -

Great Teacher Onizuka - The funniest anime I have watched, but that's not what makes this special. What makes it special is Onizuka, and how he is able to change the lives of everyone he meets. Top notch character development, a great script, awesome characters. This show has real heart, and I there are few things that can boast about having one.

Haibane Renmei
Mushishi
Eve no Jikan
Koi Kaze
Princess Mononoke

My personal favorite

Tweeny Witches - Because this show is friggin AWESOME. Why else. This needs more love.

My Personal least favorite -

Bleach - Why? Because after the excellent soul society arc, this one broke my heart. There are two things I hate about this show. 1. Filler, because I do not like being given garbage for the sake of emptying my wallets. 2. Totally destroying the potential it had.

Super Milk Chan
- What.... What the hell is this exactly? I don't understand. Does not compute. I don't. Why, why did I have to ever watch this. Do people like this show?

Inuyasha
- How many times did the jewel break. How many times should they have killed the villain. Actually, who cares. It doesn't even matter anymore.

Pokemon - Can we please quit it. I'm tired of this still being broadcasted. Honestly.

Edit: Because somehow I forgot about Kino's Journey. Yes, I know this was crime against anime, so I fixed it, and switched around some stuff.
dawood.animater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Put reasons. -TK]
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote
Excellent Top 10, ~~EpiC~~. I wonder if I can talk that passionately about my favorites. I'll give it a shot sometime soon... work is getting easier as things settle down (which means I could be working as low as 20 hours a week... compared to the current 50 or so) and the beginning of the new year kicks in, so I'll just sit down for a few hours to re-create mine. There are a few shows I want to watch before creating it, but right now my favorites are pretty solid, I just need to pick 10 out of 20 or so.
JackCox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
My Previous List

Quote:
1. Mushi-shi

Is it a strange choice? Not really, It's one of the most logical choices, though it has only been around for a few years, it is without a doubt the easiest choice for a Number One I've had to make. This Show is one of the most Beautiful shows I have laid eye on. The Animation is gorgeous and breath-taking. The stories that we find in each episode truly catch your attention, and in the span of 30 minutes you will find yourself grow attached to characters who only appear in that one episode. This is what makes this show so special. It should be seen by all.

2. Cowboy Bebop

This is one of only a handful of Anime Shows I ever watch again and do you want to know why? It's awesome music, it's kick ass story and its great characters. But seriously, this is the ultimate space epic, you will absolutely love every episode of this, just how can you not like the characters and also the acting. This may very well be the Best Dub ever made.

3. Hellsing Ultimate OVA

Of everything i could have put here, there really can be only one, This has it all awesome plot, amazing action sequences and Gobs O Blood-a-plenty. The Animation is superb and even though this show hasn't finished yet it was destined for this list before it even finished.

4. Haibane Renmei

Utterly Beautiful Series, the music in this series is absolutely gorgeous not to mention the very whimsical plot.

5. Golden Boy

This is without a doubt, the funniest anime Dub I have ever heard, but more so it is probably one of the funniest comedies I have ever seen, it's even better then most live action comedies. The premise is very simple but the gags are executed in such a way that I had to pause the DVD to catch my breath laughing.

6. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

This series is epic, A huge cast of characters, a series with so many great action sequences and it just gets better into the second season.

7. Paranoia Agent

Yes, I'm a Satoshi Kon fan and this is probably his best work to date even though it's not a movie, This anime doesn't really have a main character, although the Police Detectives generally qualify as the main characters they are just background people relegated to viewing the situation. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

8. Gungrave

The better half of Yasuhiro Nightow's Works, this show is a very serious mafia show, no f*&^ing around is the name of the game. Animation is superb, but what makes this show great is the relationship between Harry and Brandon.

9. Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

The animation is simply striking, it's art style is completely unique and thus you will remember this show quite fondly. The fact it takes on a novel is also what drove me to this show

10. Le Chevalier D'Eon

It just barely edges out NieA Under 7 and Red Garden to earn this spot. Truth be told the animation from Production I.G. is gorgeous but more importantly the show will really catch you and suck you in once you start watching it.

WORST 5

1. .Hack//Sign

Hands down the worst show I've ever seen, the pacing is slower then a dog's dead legs. I wanted die just watching this show. Yes it's truly truly awful.

2. Love Hina

Truly an unholy hell. The main character Keitaro is one of the most pathetic men in anime history. He is simply a wimp to the nth degree and getting his ass kicked by Naru made me lose all respect for this show

3. Magikano

Please, somebody assassinate this show. It beyond awful. I'd rather pour salt on an open wound then watch this show.

4. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

What else should be said about the main character, she is an absolute c**t and if I ever came across I'd put her in her place.

5. Moonlight Mile

What a ripoff! I thought this was going to be Planetes, Boy how wrong I was.

EDIT: I decided that the points made about Strike Witches were on the mark, thus I decided to drop it, I think I wasn't really thinking hard last night when I put it in my Worst 5, While it may not be my cup of Tea I can't say it's the worst

My Current List

1. Mushi-shi

I have consistently said this is the best anime I have ever seen and it's going to stay that way. I still remember the episodes of this show even 3 years since I've first watched it, there is just simply nothing wrong with this show except maybe that it's pacing may not be for everyone. Hard to believe that my number one show is a template for Minimalist Anime.

2. Cowboy Bebop

Do I really have to give a reason why this show is in my top 10? Simply put it should be in everyone's top 10 if you have seen it. Cowboy Bebop from start to finish was an exciting show and it's one of the few that I actually enjoy watching over and over again. I can never get bored of this show, it's that good.

3. Le Chevalier D'Eon

Production I.G. never fails to make a bad show, this one in particular was without a doubt one of my favorites, it completely got me into French History. I thought that this show in English was one of the best dubs ever produced for Anime and it's a shame this show doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

4. Baccano!

Really good storytelling, they managed to connect all of the stories together in a way that makes sense, however it's one of those shows you can't explain to your friends, you really just have to tell people to go and watch it and then talk with you after they've finished watching it.

5. Casshern Sins

This is not a show for everyone, it's frankly can be very depressing but it's a show that is very close to my heart. It's a great showcase into humanity in my opinion, it's beautifully animated, beautifully scored and has an excellent voice cast. But again some people may see it as a bit formulaic, but I think it's worth being on anyone's top ten list.

6. Darker than Black

I think this was Cowboy Bebop for the next generation, I think the 2nd Season was very disappointing but the First Season will stand as a Gem among Anime Series, the music in this series is top notch and both lead actors in English and Japanese Hidenobu Kiuchi and Jason Liebrecht gave great performances as Hei.

7. Eden of the East

I think the characters completely make this show, I can't really expand much on it but I thought it was a really well executed concept.

8. Ghost Hound

This is the one show on the list I have not finished yet but in my opinion I can tell it's going to be on my top ten list, this show has probably the best Sound Design of any anime ever. It also covers a topic I did not think I would learn about in an anime (The Human Brain), It deals with subject matter that is way out of the conventional norm. You will learn quite a lot from a show like this.

9. Initial D

I don't know whether I can include this as the entire series (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Stages) but I'll include the first series. The Animation has definitely aged when you see it today but still this is probably in my opinion in the top five anime soundtracks. I think the other thing I like is that the races are so well animated and in my opinion very engrossing to watch. Even though you know Takumi is going to win, the show really knows how to stretch the Tension.

10. Hell Girl

It's a major love of mine, I really love this show. I love shows that feature just regular human stories, in this show they talk about how far someone would go to change their life for the better, It may be supernatural but watching each episode and seeing if these people should be banished to Hell is always a delight.

Worst

5-Darker than Black Season 2

This season was a major letdown, It's not a complete turd and I don't feel like calling it the worst but it was very disappointing, I felt that they really went in the wrong direction, I felt they could have done something different with Hei and I was disappointed that they really took the spotlight off of him and the show was worse for it

4-Noir

I think my problem with this series was that it's pacing was incredibly slow, It's the weakest of the Girls with Guns Trilogy, some say this is the best of the Trilogy but I think that the trilogy in my opinion got better with each passing series. I thought El Cazador de la Bruja was the Best of the Three Series.

3-.hack//sign
I realized I had this one put up here before, now that I remember watching this I can easily say this show put me to sleep, it's very very difficult to get through and i may need to give it another shot at some point

2-Love Hina

I think I just got sick of this show at some point, This show has made me hate the Harem Genre, It was poorly thought out and I think at some point I felt that the women were completely treating Keitaro like crap in this show.

1-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

I cannot understand the popularity of this show, I think it's a freaking joke, now maybe that's because I cannot stand Haruhi, I think she herself really ruins the show for me, You know at times how you may get sick of seeing something over and over again, That describes Hare Hare Yukai perfectly, The dance was great a couple of times but now it's just really irritated me to hell. The really funny thing about this is I don't mind Haruhi-chan Suzumiya but Haruhi itself is another beast. I haven't seen Disappearance yet but I've heard that Movie in and of itself is fantastic.

Last edited by JackCox on Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2-Strike Witches

A show that had potential, I'm serious if they had maybe cut back on the unnecessary panty shots I honest to God think this show could have worked.

You could blink, ignore, FFWD, or otherwise pretend the panty shots were not there. Doing so does not make the show work any better or brings to light any of that vague potential you mention.
JackCox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
I think endless panty shots in shows are just ridiculous. Can I really ignore it though? It's one thing if they do it occasionally but they shoot it right in your face and they don't give you any breathing room.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
Although I enjoyed the 1st season of Strike Witches, I'll be one of the first to say that you can not ignore the crotch-shots. They're always there, take up the full screen (even if only for a moment or two), and are definitely just there to pander and have no other purpose. Having said that, you also can't (fairly anyways) ignore the fact that the show works. It has a solid (if simple) story and high production values. For those reasons, I say that Strike Witches is an enigma, and I can't fault anyone for having highly negative reactions to it. It did make me feel creepy at least once in every episode...
JackCox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
This is the problem, I wouldn't say I hated the show, I thought the story was good but really I think the crotch shots are ridiculous. Like I understand occasional fan-service but for me it spoiled what if those excessive shots were removed would have been a really good series.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:38 am Reply with quote
So you are saying that it is impossible to ignore the panty shots to enjoy the other parts you say is good and that the panty shots alone makes this the second worst anime you have ever seen, despite liking the story.
Is there a new definition of 'worst' I am unaware of?
How much weight does fan-service carry when rating anime nowadays?
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
egoist
Excellent Top 10, ~~EpiC~~. I wonder if I can talk that passionately about my favorites. I'll give it a shot sometime soon... work is getting easier as things settle down (which means I could be working as low as 20 hours a week... compared to the current 50 or so) and the beginning of the new year kicks in, so I'll just sit down for a few hours to re-create mine. There are a few shows I want to watch before creating it, but right now my favorites are pretty solid, I just need to pick 10 out of 20 or so.

Thanks. You should definitely make yours, I'm guessing we may share one or two. Picking the 10 out of the 20 is what really makes it hard. Took me forever to post that list, I really had trouble picking the last three. I probably could have wrote a laundry list of honorable mentions too...
Quote:
5. Casshern Sins

This is not a show for everyone, it's frankly can be very depressing but it's a show that is very close to my heart. It's a great showcase into humanity in my opinion, it's beautifully animated, beautifully scored and has an excellent voice cast. But again some people may see it as a bit formulaic, but I think it's worth being on anyone's top ten list.

Yes! Definitely not for everyone, but man did I love this show. Some of the episodes floored me. One was episode 4 with Sophita. Something clicked for me there and was sold on the show the rest of the way.
Quote:
4. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

What else should be said about the main character, she is an absolute c**t and if I ever came across I'd put her in her place.

Rofl. Really man? I loved Haruhi. She's awesome.

JackCox, wasn't Strike Witches made to be fanservice? I'm asking because I haven't actually seen it. Fanservice is only a problem if the show wasn't made to be fanservice, in my opinion. Fanservice is awesome every now and again.

Kampfer is a huge guilty pleasure of mine. (As well as Samurai Girls lol). Now if Mushi-Shi randomly had fan service in it, it would be a problem, for example.
Otaku Rice Ball

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Top 10 favorite anime

1. Toradora: This is my all time favorite anime, Taiga is my ultimate anime crush but besides that I think that this anime was realy well done even if it was kind of predictable at times, this was the first anime to make me cry.

2. Code Geass: There was never a moment in this series where I wanted to take a break I had to know what happens next, R1 and R2 both were great I ever got bored with either of them, It also has a wonderful cast of characters, Lelouch is awsome.

3. K-on: To be honest I didn't think that I would like this show as much as I did, But after watcing the first couple of episodes I could tell this one was going to be one of my favorites, this one made me and my sister cry, Azu-nyan!!

4. Card Captor Sakura: This is a series I simply just can't get tired of no matter how many times I watch it,

5. Cowboy Bebop: Great cast of characters, Great Action, This was the first anime that made me realize that anime was it's own faction in the world of cartoons, before I had no idea what anime was.

6. The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya: I know this anime is not for everyone but I think that this is a great show, I think both Haruhi and Kyon are awsome, I know Haruhi can be realy difficult for some people to deal with but not me, there are times when Haruhi can be realy cute. Go SOS Brigade!!

7. Death Note: I just love the mental battles between L and Light, And ryuuk is awsome.

8. Fullmetal Alchemist: I haven't seen brotherhood but I love this one.

9. Trigun: I haven't seen this one in a while but I can never forget how much it made me laugh, And how badly I wanted to see the next episode on adult swim.

10. Lucky Star: I always turn to this series when I'm sad or
Frustrated, It always makes me feel better and I get a good laugh to! Kagami!!

The worst: Pokemon they need to just stop, It was good when it was just 150 pokemon and ok when it was 250, but now it's just stupid and so boring.

There are other animes I don't like, But I don't think they deserve to be called the worst, so I won't list them
asami0414

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:37 am Reply with quote
- Hayate no Gotoku
This is one bloody hilarious show that continuously breaks down, stomps around, and then builds a little rock garden on top of, the fourth wall.
- Melancholy of Haruhi Sazumiya
Yeah, she's annoying, and yes, it's absurd, and yes, sometimes you really want to punch Kyon in the face -- but come on! It combines all the best elements that anime has to give, allowing the world their within to swell and rotate, and just be really really funny at times.
- Angel Beats!
There are usually two types of anime - the first has violence but rarely does it really effect the characters' mobility (unless it's a really epic fight den den daaa). The second plays out the violence head on and realistically - Berserk and Elfen Lied come to mind. Angel Beats! manages to combine these two, however, using the violence as comical because, well, they're already dead. I found this to be very emotionally involving and one of the better shows of 2010.
- D-Gray Man
It's one of those anime that is so involving and funny (sometimes at the worst of times) with awesome characters and a really good storyline that appears like another shounen anime except every now and then when it reveals itself to be a deal more serious and emotionally ingrained than you'd think.
- Bakemonogatari
I love the artwork, the violent absurdities that play out, and the way the characters interact with each other. I was reading through the lists and no one mentioned it which made me whimper in confusion -- Why??? It's brilliant!
- Fairy Tail
Come on. It's funny. You know it, I know it, it's just funny.
- Spirited Away
Studio Ghibli! Woot! Yes, Miyazaki is probably the most mentioned bloke in the favoured anime world, but that's for good reason and this one just takes my breath away with its simplicity and emotional integrity and imagery.
- Gintama
Ninjas and aliens? I mean, come on! Enough said!
- Code Geass
Unlike Claymore (where Claire should have died) and Elfen Lied (where you feel this sense of unfulfillment by the end) this one actually ends fantastically well. It gets a bit..... odd..... at the end of the second season, but it's ability to make you continuously fall in love and in hate with so many of the characters (making them, you know, real) is merely one of its brilliant components.
- Paprika
It's like Phillip K. Dick animated with a tinge of Terry Pratchett. It's extremely disturbing at times, and if you think about it, a bit frightening but that's what makes it (and the aforementioned authors, for that matter) so fantastic.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
This one stands alone in its prowess, with the storyline so intricate that it always keeps you on your toes wondering what the hell it's going on about. Ok, it's not for everyone, but it's hardly deniable that while it may be disliked, it can't help but be admired.
In my opinion.

As for the worst ones I've watched?
Kaze no Stigma -- This one was just irritating. The bloke is an arrogant bastard and the girl gives up way too easily. If it's going to be a cliche show, at least do it with likeable characters!
Omamori Himari --- One of the only harem animes I've watched where I thought the boobage was too much. And this is being said after watching Highschool of the Dead.
Fate/stay Night --- It ends really badly and the fact that this epic fight is occurring in Japan just made it annoying.
And then the thousands of shows that just Won't End like Pokemon and Naruto and Bleach that started all right but then just dragged on, and on, and on to the point where you want to fish slap the company that won't call it quits.[/list]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 97 of 122