• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Offers Replacements for Garden of Sinners Box

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Huh.

Mine's still in the mail, since I ordered it a couple of days after people began receiving shipping notifications and I live in Canada. I'll have to wait until then to inspect my copy.

The defects seem pretty minor, but given the price of the release, I appreciate that Aniplex USA is attempting to pull all the stops to make those of us who purchased this set satisfied. I imagine that most/all of us would want this set to be pretty damn (near-)perfect, given the price.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

The defects seem pretty minor, but given the price of the release, I appreciate that Aniplex USA is attempting to pull all the stops to make those of us who purchased this set satisfied. I imagine that most/all of us would want this set to be pretty damn (near-)perfect, given the price.

You think with the price they would have made sure it didn't happen at all lol.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
Normally I wouldn't care if the casing had some defects. But if I'm paying $598.98 for a box set, I expect the thing to be perfect.
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
well its nice they are fixing problems, even how small.

It's funny how a lot of companies are having minor problems with packaging or discs but great they get on top off it. There was NISA Toradora disc problem, Dragon ball Z problem, now this but I agree if I was spending 600 dollars I would expect it to by perfect for that price.

Wonder if R.O.D. or Durarara had any big problems I didn't notice, but not in a bad way just inquisitive, because they are both great series
David5807

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more, I received my box set in the mail the other day and to my surprise found the top outer box to be warped Mad .
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
I've not seen any reports of problems with the set until this news post.

My set is fine and seems rather sturdy. Unless one was stupid and did not know how to get a dvd out of a case, normal usage should not lead to any problem with the packaging....
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
In fairness, no one actually paid $600 for the box, that's just the MSRP. RightStuf sold it for $400. Which is still a lot, but not quite as bad.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
My set arrived AOK. No noticeable defects inside or out. Thanks TRSI and UPS for good packing and handling.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
How the hell did these defects slip through?

Still, there is no legitimate reason to charge such an obscene price for Garden of Sinners and shaft those of us who just have DVD players.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:35 am Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:

Still, there is no legitimate reason to charge such an obscene price for Garden of Sinners and shaft those of us who just have DVD players.

How dare these companies keep up with technology? They've been shafting those of us who just have VHS players for years now! Rolling Eyes
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:35 am Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:

Once again, what defects? I've seen nothing but this preemptive CYA press release related to any defects with this set.

Sailor S wrote:

How dare these companies keep up with technology? They've been shafting those of us who just have VHS players for years now! Rolling Eyes

ROFL. Kzzzzzing.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:55 am Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:

It happens. Nothing is perfect. I've bought Japanese imports before and they sent out recall notice for any slight defect. Some companies don't even bother.

I have feeling that even if they had DVD version with English, you'll still balk at their set price. They do sell DVD regular editions in Japan for about 4000-5000 yen (about US $45-$55) for each movie. Even they set price for each movie for $25 to $35 range, you'll still balk at at it.

Welcome to extreme niche market. Japanese have every legitimate reason to charge the price they want for animated show. That's unfortunate side of being niche. Despite what you think, anime market is very, very small. You have the right to call the pricing obscene, but have you thought of how Japanese fans feel when they pay the same high pricing since 1980's for niche titles? They do complain, but they suck it up because their spending habit is one of few factors putting their ailing 2D animation industry to survive for these years. Yes, the animation industry. The one who brings life to your favorite 2D cute girls and pretty boys.

In many cases, making feature animation is more expensive than live action regardless of country you're in. Anime titles that you love is expensive to produce and not everyone will buy it even with $20 price tag.

Since the title is niche with very small audience, Japanese fans and collectors are one of reliable sources to offset the production cost. If a paying fan base strong, more companies are likely to invest their money for production. We should be grateful that our Japanese fan counterparts are "subsidizing" the cost for us by buying high price DVD/BD for themselves. Without paying Japanese fans, Japanese animation industry will not likely to make niche titles whatsoever. That also includes your favorite cute girl & pretty boy anime.

In broader sense, we are experiencing the same pain & pleasure that Japanese fans has to go through when they buy their favorite DVD & BD.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Oh, you. Laughing
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
The lid of my box is also slightly bent (it doesn't lay completely flat when the box is closed). It's not a matter of not knowing how to remove discs when the box comes that way. I'm glad Aniplex will be offering replacements. If this were a true US release from another company I doubt anything would be done about this. It's a minor cosmetic defect.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
Oh man, fingers crossed to hell my box isn't defective. I don't want to deal with the extra layer of fun getting it replaced at an international address.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4