• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-ON! is 1st TV Anime Franchise to Sell 500,000+ BDs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
K-ON! truly is the show of the decade.

Can't wait for the R1 release! And to those that have yet to order a copy, Rightstuf's Bandai sale is still going on. So get yourself a copy or six.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
As much as I am wishing success for Bandai and their blu-ray release of K-On! (Already pre-ordered one from them.) I really doubt they are going to have those kind of sales here.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Bakemonogatari is still have better unit sell per volume
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, but I assume that the fact they're only taking the last three or so years into account leaves some of the potential competition off the charts by default.
d-_-b zzzzz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
K-ON! truly is the show of the decade.

Can't wait for the R1 release! And to those that have yet to order a copy, Rightstuf's Bandai sale is still going on. So get yourself a copy or six.
no its not.

anyway is this total sales since its first one?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
As much as I am wishing success for Bandai and their blu-ray release of K-On! (Already pre-ordered one from them.) I really doubt they are going to have those kind of sales here.

Me too. It's not the type of show that grabs casual fans, and there's not enough otaku here that buy Blu-ray.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Interesting, but I assume that the fact they're only taking the last three or so years into account leaves some of the potential competition off the charts by default.

not really. blu-ray is only out for few years. and it's only getting popular for the last 2 year. i don't see any other anime that sold 500k+ BDs before that. remember this is about BDs, not dvds. K-on sells pretty good on dvds too, but not just no as good as BDs.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
d-_-b zzzzz wrote:
anyway is this total sales since its first one?

According to the article, it includes the 2009 prequel's sales. So as a standalone, neither K-ON! nor K-ON!! are enough to top Macross Frontier.

Anyways, K-ON!! is bound to break Macross Frontier's short-lived record with the final volume due next month. It contains the final episode to the series + 2 extra episodes + an unaired OVA/special. That's more than enough to get fans buying.

To be honest, I have mixed feelings about this since I enjoyed both shows, and especially since I've been a Macross fan for ages.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
This really makes no sense to me at all. This show isnt something that really make or break if its in HD. I can understand FMA Brotherhood or anything that is huge visuals appeal that really makes the higher quality well worth it. Other then Maybe the soundtrack I dont see why so many would sell? Maybe consumers are just stupid?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can understand FMA Brotherhood or anything that is huge visuals appeal that really makes the higher quality well worth it.

Yeah, I can see why you don't get it. Moe heavily relies on the visual.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
I can understand FMA Brotherhood or anything that is huge visuals appeal that really makes the higher quality well worth it.

Yeah, I can see why you don't get it. Moe heavily relies on the visual.

I was talking about more action oriented anime, but ok. I tried watching this but it's not for me and thats fine. I just dont understand how a higher quality version of this show add anything at all and sells so well. That is why I said FMA or some other Shonen anime as where there is a lot of action and even high quality animation where it merits a a BD release and look far superior to the DVD. Sorry if I did not make my point clear before.

Unless you are being sarcastic then this whole post is pointless then.

Last edited by jsc315 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scormio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
This really makes no sense to me at all. This show isnt something that really make or break if its in HD. I can understand FMA Brotherhood or anything that is huge visuals appeal that really makes the higher quality well worth it. Other then Maybe the soundtrack I don't see why so many would sell? Maybe consumers are just stupid?

Who doesn't wanna watch moe in HD?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
This really makes no sense to me at all. This show isnt something that really make or break if its in HD. I can understand FMA Brotherhood or anything that is huge visuals appeal that really makes the higher quality well worth it. Other then Maybe the soundtrack I don't see why so many would sell? Maybe consumers are just stupid?

Most people probably. It's like asking who doesn't wanna watch sports in 3D (y'know that's gonna be the next step in anime). Laughing
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
jsc315 wrote:

That is not my point. Does it add anything extra? I just feel like especially in Japan how these discs are prices the fans are just being screwed over for something that really isnt all that high quality? Not the anime it self but the animation. I personally dont see how it adds any additional value to this anime when the anime production is not top quality and ads very little extra. That is what I'm saying. What people enjoy is one things and personally dont like these type of show but to each there own.

Maybe I'm just crazy and have no idea what I'm talking about.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

not really. blu-ray is only out for few years. and it's only getting popular for the last 2 year. i don't see any other anime that sold 500k+ BDs before that. remember this is about BDs, not dvds. K-on sells pretty good on dvds too, but not just no as good as BDs.

That is largely true, but even if the difference isn't too great it would still be interesting to see what, if any, effect a couple of extra years have on the relative rankings. Not that I necessarily expect them to radically change but it wouldn't hurt to have more data available for the sake of completeness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6