• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reading Manga in Bookstores and Not Putting it Back

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I guess this'd go in retail, since it has to do with bookstores selling anime and all.

Has anyone else had the problem of disrespectful anime fans who read the mangas at the store? I mean, they leave the mangas wherever they want, and there's no order whatsoever there. There were 10 copies of Trigun Maximum #1 at my Barnes and Noble, each one was on a different shelf, and only 8 of them were even in the graphic novel section. I found one in Judaism, and another in romance Shocked . There was no order whatsoever, and I did the right thing: I spent 1/2 an hour reorganzing the entire section.

Luckily, the manager noticed me doing this, and I got a free manga for all my hard efforts Very Happy

So, I guess the moral of this story is: keep your anime and manga neat. You might get rewarded if you do.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Ha, ha. That's a very intersting course of events. I sometimes do the same thing, but I don't limit myself to book stores. I'm a neat freak, and I like to clean up just about anywhere I think needs cleaning.

I used to work at Toys 'R' Us, so you can imagine how many toys kids (and adults) would leave lying around. Laughing

By the way, you should edit the topic and put something else next the to [OT] mark. Wink
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I've noticed it as well. As Tony pointed out, however, this problem is not limited to Manga. The other day I was at my local Borders and noticed a pile of about 30 books piled on one of the tables in the cafe. These weren't all from one person. You would think that people could at least be considerate enough to put a book or 2 back where they got it. More often then not, this doesn't seem to be the case though.
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to go after my local best buy next. Their anime section is slowly deteriorating into a monster. I found Azumanga Daioh next to X the other day. Those heathens!!!
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Something else I've noticed is that sometimes manga titles wrapped in plastic will have the wrapping removed in order to be read, then put back on the shelf with the plastic on the floor or on the shelf above. Especially Battle Royale & Berserk.

Of course, the worst example I found is my local library. I went to check out a few volumes of X one time, and more than half of them had panels & even pull pages cut out (not torn, cut, as in deliberately) and much of the text marked up in highlighter. Many other titles looked similarly damaged, like they were used as drink coasters or crumpled all to hell. It's insanely frustrating!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Realfolkblues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I have a friend who reads Manga in Bookstores. She only does that because her mom won't let her buy any. I'm pretty sure she puts it back though...I'll have to ask her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1