• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Baron Gong Battle

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Baron Gong! Jason, you've got to stop talking about mangas that are insanely enjoyable... And now you've reminded me of how we'll never see the end of this manga. Damn you!

Anyway... Yeah, Baron Gong Battle is utterly ridiculous and "incorrect", but at the same time it's utterly awesome. I brought up the titles to Frank Pannone and John Sirabella in person a few years back, and both of their faces just turned into giant smiles; you could tell that they both loved how 80s this manga was. Still, I think I just might hate the fact that we won't get the end of Apocalypse Zero more (Yes, the manga is infinitely better than the OVA... Yes, I mean that in a legitimate way).

Great article, Jason.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Omg I can't get the Bruce Willis page out of my head lol. "He reminds me of a rock hard penis!" Oh lol.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Here's my plan: I'll roam the earth as long as it takes to track down the remaining volumes of Baron Gong Battle. Then I'll challenge them to combat using this copy of Baron Gong Battle volume 1 that I've grafted to the end of my left arm. I just pray I can take them down before the ink poisoning finishes me off.

Awesome plan! I will join you in your search!

What a great article, know I want to know where I can get this!
perroloco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
Now you got me interested on this!
BTW there is a edition in the works for this manga in Argentina for anyone interested, although currently is at volume 4

http://www.editorialivrea.com/ARG/barongongbattle/index.htm
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
Ya should bother your local scanlators! Laughing
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:37 am Reply with quote
It was so much fun working on this book!
sepherest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:48 am Reply with quote
I remember in the Battle Royale manga the two main characters used to read and watch Baron Gong Battle when they were little kids Laughing

I've seen this one and Apocalypse Zero at a store in my area, and it sounds like it'd be a lot of fun to pick up.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote
I still think this manga is terrible, but so much so, that is is like a good bad movie. It's insanely juvenile story and characters are just so comical when dropping the f-bomb and such. I still think all of Masayuki Taguchi's character designs are horrid though. The guy can draw, just what he chooses to draw is horrid. Even with all that I did read all six volumes I was sent in the 365 days of manga contest, it is oddly entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
simside

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Whaaat? That plot is so unrealistic. Everyone knows that you can't serve alcohol and have strippers at the same establishment in Chicago.

Anyway, I flipped a coin and picked up Apocalypse Zero instead of this, and I was so heartbroken about missing the end of that series that I didn't have it in me to try this one. I knew I would love it and wouldn't be able to finish it. This is exactly the type of series that I can't stay away from, though, and I may have to go back for it anyway after your descriptions of the plot. I love sloppy seinen series that don't take themselves seriously.

Depending on how bad you want them, you could use a buying service like Celga and buy the Japanese volumes from Amazon Japan or Yahoo Auctions. The markup can get ugly, though. From Amazon, all the books start at 1 yen, but with two types of shipping and the Celga fee per item, it's probably more like $15 bucks a book. It's cheaper to get a whole set from the Yahoo auctions via the same type of service, but then you have all of them in Japanese.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
simside wrote:
I love sloppy seinen series that don't take themselves seriously.

Only thing is this isn't a seines series, it ran in Shounen Champion. Which would make it super hard boiled according to "Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga" it's still a series for young/teen boys. I can totally see this as a series where 12 to 14 year old boys think they are reading something super "adult." In the long not that it really matters, it reminds an oddly entertain read.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctorx0079

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like a cross between Fist of The North Star and Seraphic Feather, but turned up to 11. I may have to track this down myself.
Monumension

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
Wow, never thought in a million years you would choose Baron Gong Battle as a title here. I was a huge fan of Battle Royale back in 2005 (still is) and bought this series enthusiastically, in spite of the ridiculous story and action sequences. My favorite scene is when he escapes one of his enemies by driving a Mini, using a sportscar as a take-off ramp and jumping into a glass-elevator in a nearby skyscraper, taking the elevator up to the top and start driving around like a madman, jumping over to the next building! It's just so mindbendingly stupid you can't help but like it. Laughing

Many people think the Battle Royale manga was too extreme and OTT and I partially agree on some of those points, but after reading BGB I sort of understood where he took all those exaggerations from. He just kept doing some of the things he did in his previous series, heh!
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:59 am Reply with quote
simside wrote:
Depending on how bad you want them, you could use a buying service like Celga and buy the Japanese volumes from Amazon Japan or Yahoo Auctions. The markup can get ugly, though. From Amazon, all the books start at 1 yen, but with two types of shipping and the Celga fee per item, it's probably more like $15 bucks a book. It's cheaper to get a whole set from the Yahoo auctions via the same type of service, but then you have all of them in Japanese.

Vol. 7: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4253049370/

Vol. 8: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4253049389/

Vol. 9: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4253049397/

The numbers in the URLs are the ISBNs.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd never heard of "Baron Gong Battle" before I'd seen this column. I've got to admit,it is interesting having America as it's setting. I'd also read some reviews of this after I read this column and they were bad. I mean really,really bad. It's a shame. I could see a salute to the Hollywood action movie via the shonen genre. Hopefully someone will do a better job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1