• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Reporter: Keira Knightley Approached for Role in Akira Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
May I say again, I have no interest in a white-washed Hollywood butchering of Akira (or any other Anime/Manga title); because what I want from an adaptation is something like what Christopher Nolan did for Batman. As for what we'll get...

Besides, why do I need Hollywood to tell an incredible story that's already been told incredibly well in other mediums?
timesteel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
hell I wouldn't mind if they made a live action Akira it would just have to have all Asian actors and be done in Japanese like letters from Iwo Jima, or moderately white washed but done by Christopher Nolan
Dagon123

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

Besides, why do I need Hollywood to tell an incredible story that's already been told incredibly well in other mediums?

As far as live-action is concerned, I live by one rule, if Japan hasn't tried and or done it yet, we sure as hell can't do it.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Man, what's with all the Nolan worship? He'd mess this up just as much as any other director would.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Just hope they don't tone down the scale on it. It would be pretty poor adaptation if it becomes a biker saves us from bad guys movie. There needs to be the scale of destruction that was in the anime. Otherwise it is just a TV movie of the week drama.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
bbbearcounty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not quite sure why this has to be set in "New Manhattan." There's nothing wrong with leaving it in Tokyo and having a multi-racial cast. It worked for the Fast and the Furious movies.
lem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
yeah ok, it might completely suck and flop as entertainment for existing fans, but...if it manages to create even just a little curiosity for the original comic (manga), and the animated movie, then I really can't see it as being a "bad" thing. and who knows, it might actually turn out to be something worth viewing on its own merit? just because it's an adaptation does that mean I should automatically dismiss it?
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Race-bending should be a thing in the past. Why are they even calling it Akira? Might as well call it Alex or Andrew or something.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
bbbearcounty wrote:
I'm not quite sure why this has to be set in "New Manhattan." There's nothing wrong with leaving it in Tokyo and having a multi-racial cast. It worked for the Fast and the Furious movies.

Where the main lead was white, the supporting actors were a hack black rapper, some Latin tart, a Korean as a Japanese, and the Japanese were portrayed as the bad guys.
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
Maybe if Keira couldn't keep a shred of clothing on and no convenient censors it would be great....for those who want to see her nude.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Keira Knightley Approached for Role in Akira Film

sigh...those idiots.

They shoulda approached her to play as Light in the live-action Death Note film instead! Laughing

They'll probably white-wash that film anyways...well changing a character's gender is even easier.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Just hope they don't tone down the scale on it.

That's why they plan on spending a lot of money for it. They're obviously going for well-known stars like Knightley.

timesteel wrote:
hell I wouldn't mind if they made a live action Akira it would just have to have all Asian actors and be done in Japanese like letters from Iwo Jima,

Letters from Iwo Jima only grossed $13 million domestic. The Akira trilogy can't be done with a mere budget of just $19 million.

bbbearcounty wrote:

Not if they plan on spending a lot of money for the trilogy.

Besides, Tokyo Drift is just 1/5th and only the 3rd (not the foundation) movie of a now-famous franchise - a bit part, not the whole of it. And it didn't exactly work for the F&F movies: Tokyo Drift is by far --by far-- the least watched of the series. Plus, its continuity is pretty much ignored now, how it fits in with the rest of the movies, like it never really happened.

Romuska wrote:
Race-bending should be a thing in the past. Why are they even calling it Akira? Might as well call it Alex or Andrew or something.

We don't know if they'll keep the title Akira in the end - they're just using it for now (they may still keep the name for the character dude in the jar). Obviously, they're also using the names Kaneda and Tetsuo for now, which we pretty much know they won't keep for Western actors.

Anyways, this adaptation is for the multitudes of masses who have not read or seen the previous incarnations. They will determine whether this becomes a success or not.

lem wrote:
yeah ok, it might completely suck and flop as entertainment for existing fans, but...if it manages to create even just a little curiosity for the original comic (manga), and the animated movie, then I really can't see it as being a "bad" thing. and who knows, it might actually turn out to be something worth viewing on its own merit? just because it's an adaptation does that mean I should automatically dismiss it?

Exactly.

tsunayakuin wrote:
Maybe if Keira couldn't keep a shred of clothing on and no convenient censors it would be great....for those who want to see her nude.

She doesn't have boobies! (Yet she's not a loli neither.) Laughing
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Man, what's with all the Nolan worship? He'd mess this up just as much as any other director would.

Nolan wouldn't mess this up at all hell he would be a vast improvement over anyone that is currently involved in the Akira project..at least he knows how to make great films consistently..I wish he was the director but sadly we have some hack who isn't capable of making a good film even if his life depended on it.
vycar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
Do be honest, i can not see any point to an American remake of 'Akira'. They certainly wont improve on the original! The only reason for doing it is so that someone else will make money.
PS. Are they serious about Nolan directing?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2