• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, December 18-24

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
The last FMA and one to end Holic. Man, the one from Naruto is still second
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
No Bleach? That sucks, but it's probably because 37 kind of sucked and it's 15 volumes behind Japan.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to keep seeing Tenjo Tenge make the list. DC obviously dropped the ball with the edited releases, but I didn't know just how much until now.
LKK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

The xxxHolic in the article is volume 18. But Amazon Japan lists a volume 19 with a March 2011 publication date. http://www.amazon.co.jp/×××HOLiC(19)-KCデラックス-CLAMP/dp/4063760391/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325281714&sr=8-1 So is volume 18 the end or is volume 19 the end??[/url]
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Drops of God on there, probably a decent amount of sales from the people in the wine world.
Sailor Moon is still hanging in there, wonder if Volume 2 will still be on the list when Volume 3 is put out.
Hey, One Piece is still on there for another week, though I wish it could be higher. Think the next volume comes out first week of January, and the New World Arc starts in 61 which is going to come out in March, so lots of yays.
The last volume of FMA, one of the best Shonen Series of the decade IMO and my sister's favorite one, let's see how long it stays on the list. (Wonder how many people, like myself, ran out to get it a few days before Christmas to make sure it was under the tree in time.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
It's gratifying to see FMA's final hurrah on the list, let alone on top.

I was glad they included the "extras" in the release, too, like the "side story" and the bit with spoiler[Hohenheim and Trisha].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:
No Bleach? That sucks, but it's probably because 37 kind of sucked and it's 15 volumes behind Japan.

Being behind Japan doesn't matter. All the manga on that list is behind Japan.

Bleach as about 2 weeks ago and manga in America doesn't have much in the way of staying power. The best seller list tends to just be a rough ranking of what manga was most recently released.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Bleach as about 2 weeks ago and manga in America doesn't have much in the way of staying power. The best seller list tends to just be a rough ranking of what manga was most recently released.

Yeah, it's not like in Japan where sometimes things that have just been animated see a resurgence, or limited editions of old stuff appear sometimes.
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
sainta wrote:

The xxxHolic in the article is volume 18. But Amazon Japan lists a volume 19 with a March 2011 publication date. http://www.amazon.co.jp/×××HOLiC(19)-KCデラックス-CLAMP/dp/4063760391/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325281714&sr=8-1 So is volume 18 the end or is volume 19 the end??[/url]

The final volume is 19 which was released in Japan in early 2011. Its English version will be released on February 21, 2012 accoridng to http://www.randomhouse.com/book/213699/xxxholic-19-by-clamp
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
sainta wrote:

It's listed as 19 volumes in total from several sites I've seen, so I'm 90% certain that's that. Good to know it won't go on for as long as Tsubasa did, and hopefully it's ending will make more sense.

Couldn't have been happier with FMA's finale. It was epic, thought-provoking, and very touching. Everything I came to love about the series over the years.
This vol. of Naruto reminded me why I've stuck with the series all this time. Hopefully it will be allowed to end on a similar high note (and fairly soon; my greatest fear is it'll drag on long after it could've closed up shop, ala InuYasha). It's already a ridiculously long-running series, so if it could stop before it hits 70, I'll find a way to own it all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1