• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeumanProductions

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Over the last month...

Castle of Cagliostro DVD (Hyb) (Lupin the 3rd)
Chrono Crusade Complete Collection: Holiday Edition
Galaxy Angel AA Complete Collection
Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei Limited Edition
-Yamada Mouse Pad w/ purchase
Motto To Love Ru -Trouble- Complete Collection (on order)

Have a few things to pick up at Anime Milwaukee this weekend. One of them is going to be a bit expensive but its for a friend and she's worth it.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Trip to Glasgow:

Otomen 12
Kimi ni Todoke 12
Bakuman 9
Kamisama Kiss 7
DEATHLOBIN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Just Recieved from Ups/USPS

From Amazon
Codename Sailor V Vol 2

Barnes and Noble

Sailor Moon Vol 1

Codename Sailor V Vol.2

Never read those 3 in the series can't wait to start reading
Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
My copy of the limited edition of Princess Jellyfish came today! And there was much rejoicing. Policy requires that I put it at the far end of my queue, but that will only make me happier when I at last watch it.

I stayed away for a long while, but I was spurred by the Sentail sale, a coupon code and feeling at liberty to indulge my appetites in anime at TRSI and manga at Amazon.com. To wit

Anime
Blue Drop (Complete Collection)
Starship Operators (volume 1-3 box set)
Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei (Complete limited edition)
Bubblegum Crisis (Complete boxed set)
Bubblegum Crash (Complete collection)
Megazone 23 (Complete collection)
ICE (Complete collection)

Blue Drop seems interestingly strange and I've seen some opinions that make me think that I'll enjoy it.

I've been interested in Starship Operators for a while because I have a long fondness for space opera and a drier style than most enjoy.

Ordering Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei is out of my usual range and a partly spontaneous choice. I liked the first two episodes of the English dub well enough, but recent discussion of it gave me an urge to damn the torpedoes and order it.

I ordered Bubblegum Crisis and Bubblegum Crash because I bought Bubblegum Crisis 2040 a few months back and since I haven't watched it yet, I thought that I'd order the other two incarnations so I could save all of it for a 'Bubblegum Weekend' some time in the future.

I had related rationales for ordering ICE and Megazone 23. I often find that I want to watch something, but not as much as an entire series and OVAs fill that gap. I've been curious about Megazone 23 for a while now; the first is regarded as a classic in a few quarters, there's an interesting Buried Treasures article about the second and if I've gone that far, there's scarce reason to not bring the third along for the ride. I know that it's bad, I'm a touch completionist and have watched enough Mystery Science Theater 3000 to be able to derive some pleasure from all but the unbearably dull. I have nearly no hope at all that ICE will be good in the genuine sense, but I often like weird science fiction OVAs just for their own sake and Erin Finnegan's opinion suggest that it might just fit that niche in my pocked and mottled soul. Besides that, it just seems really weird. I'm almost always interested in really weird.

I almost ordered the Puella Magi Madoka Magica limited editions, but couldn't bring myself to believe that although I expect that I would enjoy the series, I couldn't swallow so high a cost of even such splendidly embellished volumes on an already expensive order. I even tried to rationalize it as a speculative copy that I might just preserve for resale later when the sets became scarce, but that seemed like a silly risk and nuisance.

Manga
Amefurashi (volumes 1 & 2)
Mardock Scramble (volume 4)
Orion (sole volume)

I enjoyed, somewhat strangely, Venus Versus Virus and it got a peculiar hold upon me; Amefurashi is the only other manga by Atsushi Suzumi that's been released in the United States and is a very obscure title. It's nothing like what I usually read, but that's not a bad thing. It should at least not be unpleasant to read. In an pretty nonsensical way, that all makes me more interested in it and it's rather cheap too.

I've enjoyed all of the manga adaptation of Mardock Scramble thus for, so I am eager to get the next one.

I've gathered most of Masamune Shirow's peculiar manga œuvre thus far; Orion is one of the last things standing in the way of my having it all. The other is Ghost in the Shell, which will have its day. I'm probably not going to bother with his artbooks.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eri94

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Just got my LE madoka in. I'm extremely unpleased. ALL THREE discs were out of the slots when I opened it up. The DVD is scratched beyond repair. The blu ray has no scratches luckily, and the soundtrack has one minor scratch. This is not acceptable after I paid as much as I did.
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Just got in Madoka Magica! I finally get a chance to watch the show. On top of that I just got in Princess Jellyfish. Girly anime fun times ahoy!
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't decide if I felt like going to the MovieStop, I finally did, and what did I find there for a mere $5? Why a DVD copy of Redline! It's in really great shape too! I was hoping to maybe get Redline on Bluray, but I lack a bluray player and my TV in SD, maybe someday.

Let's hope it lives up to the hype! (no need to tell me if it does, I'll find out after i've seen the new Hoarders)

And then I suddenly remembered a time when VHS quality was garbage and DVD format was all shiny, and now it's the "blah" looking format (except for Interstella 5555)
Saiki_Thorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I decided to make a big order on the Sentai sale at Right Stuf before it ended. I got:

ef ~ A Tale of Melodies Blu-ray Complete Collection
ef ~ A Tale of Memories Blu-ray Complete Collection
Infinite Stratos + Encore Blu-ray Complete Collection
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression Blu-ray
The World God Only Knows Blu-ray Complete Collection
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
Just got my LE madoka in. I'm extremely unpleased. ALL THREE discs were out of the slots when I opened it up. The DVD is scratched beyond repair. The blu ray has no scratches luckily, and the soundtrack has one minor scratch. This is not acceptable after I paid as much as I did.

Jeez, all three? My dvd copy had popped out of its slot as well when I opened it up on Friday, but I lucked out on that, not getting any scratches. The Right Stuf package seemed to be a pretty durable one... you ordered from them, I presume? Do you have your "proof of purchase" Aniplex card that was included on the inside? Try contacting them with the information on there, or even refer back to your Right Stuf receipt... after all, a single dvd by itself is worth b/w $29.99 and $39.99. Customer service, at least through email, has been pretty good for me on TRSI's end.... heck, maybe you could even private message the minion that hangs around these parts about the issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
Ordered from TRSI:

Battle Royale Blu-Ray Complete Collection
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Season 2 collection (Anime Legends)
Redline (Blu-Ray)

I skipped the Sentai sale due partly to financial concerns, partly to the fact that I got burned a bit last year by not waiting for the Black Friday & Xmas sales. Also, I need to check out some episodes of the titles I'm interested in because I don't like to blind-buy. I decided to do this order because I don't know if the Manga items will be available at a better price later and the (understandable) paranoia over Bandai releases made me want to get Code Geass R2 now while it's still reasonable.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
Ordered the regular edition Blu-Ray of Puella Magi Madoka Magica to try it out. Magic-Girl, Fantasy, Shonen, teen-age/young adult slice of life, and harem titles are of no interest to me as a rule but since Madoka supposedly stands the Magic girl genre on its head and goes in a darker direction I will give it a shot.

Also preordered the remastered Grave of the Fireflies
Mankat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
I just ordered High School of the Dead, Nyan Koi!, Seven Billion Needles vol. 4, and Arakawa Under the Bridge Season 1 just came in today.
Eri94

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Eri94 wrote:

Jeez, all three? My dvd copy had popped out of its slot as well when I opened it up on Friday, but I lucked out on that, not getting any scratches. The Right Stuf package seemed to be a pretty durable one... you ordered from them, I presume? Do you have your "proof of purchase" Aniplex card that was included on the inside? Try contacting them with the information on there, or even refer back to your Right Stuf receipt... after all, a single dvd by itself is worth b/w $29.99 and $39.99. Customer service, at least through email, has been pretty good for me on TRSI's end.... heck, maybe you could even private message the minion that hangs around these parts about the issue.
Yeah, unfortunately. I asked Aniplex about it and they told me to message Rightstuf so I did, and now I'm just awaiting their response.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
Last night, I ordered a bit more than I was expecting.

ef ~ A Tale of Melodies Blu-ray Complete Collection
ef ~ A Tale of Memories Blu-ray Complete Collection
Puella Magi Madoka Magica Blu-ray 1
Hell Girl Season 3: Three Vessels Collection 1 & 2
Disappearance of Haruhi movie
Redline Blu-ray
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

Quote:
My dvd copy had popped out of its slot as well when I opened it up on Friday, but I lucked out on that, not getting any scratches.

The same thing happened to my copy. Luckily the dvd was not scratched.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 842 of 1401