• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - My Neighbor Yamada

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
There's a picture of Rosario + Vampire next to the Hetalia review.

That aside, I never would've given Yamada's First Time a chance. It just sounds so cringeworthy, but it's nice to see it's not.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
pretty interesting collection Richard, you seem to lean more the manga side of things but we have the same taste in a-lot of series. Hell I am very, very jealous of those kuroko/misaka maid figures... since they are both of my top ten list of top female characters of all time.

Moving on to the self-worthy, i am actually even shocked to yamada's first time on the list. I really love the series, and I am personally happy to see it getting some praise for being different from the intiate formula. Keep up the good job erin-sama
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
Yamada's First Time definitely has provoked interesting discussions online about how we as anime fans perceive sex and gender roles. I'm glad Funi picked it up, even though they probably only did it initially for the LOL FAN SERVICE marketing factor.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
I really want to watch Yamada's First Time, it's going to be nice seeing a show that portrays us teenagers as the confused and naive people we really are.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
I'm shocked that Erin put B Gata H Kei in Shelf Worthy. When I saw the list of the shows for this weeks Shelf Life I said to myself I know this is going on the perishable list.

The first time I watched the series I was not crazy about. When I watched it again when Funimation put the show out on BD, well I just fell in love with the series. The dub is one of my favorites and IMO one of Funimation's top dubs and one of their funniest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Toaru Majutsu no Index represent. Nice collection there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Toaru Majutsu no Index represent. Nice collection there.

I have to second that. It's cool seeing the calendar being re-used as posters. Interesting pix of wall hangings too. Is that second one from Read or Die? Nice shelves!!
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
I'm a massive Hetalia fan, but I can't really disagree with your review. The third season is when the anime really, really started to go downhill (it wasn't even that good before that). I eventually just stopped watching because I got so tired of it.

Love the webcomic and the manga, but the anime... not so much.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
I was reluctant to get And Yet the Town Moves, but then I watched the 1st episode On Demand & was suitably impressed to buy the set. Really good series.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
I should buy And Yet the Town Moves, such misleading art, the maids really do get passed over quickly and then we simply get a very solid comedy improved with that SHAFT /Shinbo touch (amazing that you got through the entire review without mentioning these industry darlings). Highlights for me include that long segment with the vending machine that was slightly reminiscent of Lucky Star but with those weirdly dramatic animation tricks, and that episode half where Hotori goes off with her brother for midnight Ramen- she's a bit of an idiot but she's such a refreshingly awesome big sister.

Chiaki Omigawa has also become a favorite VA, she has a distinctive voice that fits the role perfectly.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see And Yet the Town Moves getting some props. Like Erin, I thought it would be like Wagnaria, or maybe even Maria-sama. Boy was I wrong.

I was extremely impressed with the strange turns the show took as well as the creative artwork. (Although I did start to get tired of the "worm's eye" view camera shots of the girl's crotches.)

Quote:
The final episode is a profound tear-jerker, complete with some slightly deeper social commentary on Japan.

I was blown away by the final episode. The show consistently defied my expectations, in a good way. The final episode is a testament to its originality.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Normally, I never would have watched B Gata H Kei. I saw some ads for it and thought it was going to be an absolute mess. It seemed to have all of the ingredients of a mindless fan-service ero show. However, until last Thursday, I had Funimation Channel on my Verizon Fios, and they were running the show here and there on the lineup. I watched a few episodes and was pleasantly surprised. The protagonist is a bit superficial in her obsession with having sex just for the sake of personal conquest, but she's still charming and likeable in her own way. Despite her obsession, she comes across more as a naive and inexperienced youth wanting to be mature, which is something all of us can relate to at one point in our lives. I can't say I'll watch every episode, but I might check out a few more just to see where the story goes.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Chiaki Omigawa has also become a favorite VA, she has a distinctive voice that fits the role perfectly.

Her voice has a hint of a faint squeek/screech that I found endearing in Seitokai Yakuindomo; In Yet the Town Moves, it's appropriately annoying. It's the performance that made the difference.

I haven't fully warmed up to the show yet as I've only seen two episodes On Demand; I'm still waiting for the fourth character from the ending to join the cast before I can accurately judge a four girl ensemble series. If it is one; Is there any reason this hasn't become a genre description in the encyclopedia?

As for Yamada, I love the show though I would praise Tamura above Karboski in the lead roll. Part of the joke is having her cast as the lascivious Yamada and the Otaku reaction to it. She nailed it, in every sense but one.

I wasn't surprised by Erin's positive review for Yamada as the show is smarter than it needed to be and it should be fairly appealing and entertaining once you get past any kneejerk reactions to the premise.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I remember when BGHK was announced for streaming, I was really looking forward to it based on the premise, as I figured it would be a sex comedy with the actual sex happening off screen.

Like School Days but spoiler[ funny and minus the death and dismemberment]

So once the actual premise was revealed, I was really bored and couldn't really get back from that. I wish it had originally been marketed differently.

Yet The Town Moves is on my short list to pickup once I clear up my backlog a little, so it's good to hear positive press.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Funny thing; I bought and started watching the first Hetalia box. And I want to continue watching it too, I really do; but due to the whole show setup, I have NO idea how to find the spot where I stopped watching the last time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4