• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can you afford Fate/Zero blu-ray release?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manicli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
So as many of you know already, Fate/Zero parts 1 and 2 are available for purchase from rightstuf for about $350 dollars a piece. It's a limited edition blu-ray import which is why it's so expensive. Now I personally don't have that kind of money to spend on the series so I unfortunately will be passing since that is my anime budget for about 3-4 months.

I was wondering how many people do you think can actually afford this release and of those, how many do you think buy it? What are your thoughts about this release?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts are that it pretty much costs Aniplex nothing to make such a release, so it doesn't really hurt. If I were to guess, I'd say maybe 500-1000 copies are made of each set for the international collectors.

But really, considering that the first set sold 50k copies in Japan and the second set will likely be around the same, the international market is pretty much a tiny afterthought for Aniplex. They want to make sure that domestic sales are the highest they can be.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Can I afford the Fate/Zero BD release? In the technical sense, yes. By which I mean I could give TRSI the money they are asking and still not have to move into a cardboard box under a bridge.

Will I buy it? No. Technically being able to afford something and having the will to pay the price are two separate issues. i like the series, but not enough to drop $700+ dollars on it. I'm not especially worried, because I believe there is a cheaper release version in our future.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Nooooope, pretty sure that even one of those sets is more than I spend on anime in an entire year so, while I did enjoy the show and would love to see it in HD with all the bonus material it's not in any way possible for me. I'm just hoping they put out a regular edition a few years down the road that's a more reasonable price (like, $60 a set, that I could do).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Even if I were interested in getting anime on Blu-Ray and snagging any title I've already seen, there would be no way I would snag Fate/Zero Blu-Ray releases with the price tag that Aniplex wants for them. It's way beyond what I would be comfortable in paying up money-wise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Nope, but I can afford the Durarara set.

But eve if I could afford it, I wouldn't buy for it. That import set isn't helping the US anime market one bit. If I have seen the show (which I can't), I would wait for Anipelx's non-limited release. No sub-only is worth the asking price that they're asking for.
warden13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I can afford and have already bought both releases, but I can't imagine that they are going to sell more than a few hundred copies of each set. The average NA anime fan is not going to be comfortable with these prices even if they can afford it.
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
If I really wanted it, I could afford it. I don't.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely not. I bought KNK on bluray and that seriously restricted my anime buying from last year. In terms of runtime, these sets are twice as expensive, so my anime buying would be even more restricted for who knows how long. More power to the people who can buy these sets, but it's just not for me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I could just buy Bakemonogatari and DRRR, burn the rest of the difference, and pretend I bought Fate/Zero.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
Quite simply, no. I'm not that interested in the series to begin with, but even if I were, I just cannot afford to drop a month's rent on one anime series. Even if I could, I don't think I could bring myself to do it. I would've liked to get the limited editions of Madoka, but I can't really afford them either. I think they're probably my limit for how much I'd ever spend on an anime series, and even then it would only be for something exceptional like Madoka.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Can I afford it? Yes, but I wouldn't buy both boxsets in one month.

If I really wanted to own Fate/Zero, I would have saved money each month towards buying it since the show was solicited a few months ahead of time.
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
I bitch about titles being 50$. What makes you think Ill buy a title for 350$.

And Im not even a fan of this series. But if I was, I still wouldn't buy it.
Ringking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
Can I buy it, Yes. Would I buy it, maybe. Will I buy it, no, but only because I havens seen the show and don't really want to, though probably will eventually and will kick myself for not jumping on this.

I personally don't have an issue with the prices Aniplex charge for stuff, though I think alot of that is because I didn't grow up surrounded by cheap media like alot of other people here did, and because I know that if I don't spend the money on one frivolous thing I'm just as likely to blow it on something equally as worthless. Sides, better to regret something you did than something you didn't, no?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:35 am Reply with quote
Much like Blood-, can I afford it? Yes, I have a job that affords me a comfortable lifestyle, so dropping $350 on a set wouldn't break me. Will I buy it? No, I had decided when the first set came out that it just wasn't worth $700 to me. If it gets to $300 for both sets on BD combined, then I could see myself giving it serious consideration.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5