• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold Founder/Robotech Producer Sentenced for Tax Fraud

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Can he run the company from prison though? A deep dark part of me wants this to cause Harmony Gold to collapse so that I can own Macross Frontier and they can stop roadblocking the franchise.
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
HG is a blight to Macross fans in the US, period. They're great cutthroat business people, but awful trademark trolls.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. I read this article and I just don't see how this will impact Robotech or Macross. I'm not saying this shouldn't be on ANN, but rather that one shouldn't get their hopes up about "freeing the license." I could be wrong, but I just don't see how this will change things in relation to the franchise.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
The copyright holders in Japan don't exactly get along with each other, so Harmony Gold collapsing would not automatically mean we'd get more "Macross."
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Die Harmony Gold, Die!!
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
The copyright holders in Japan don't exactly get along with each other, so Harmony Gold collapsing would not automatically mean we'd get more "Macross."

That's all I can think of too. Those Japanese companies are still going to be sitting on those rights and say nothing.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
I dunno. I read this article and I just don't see how this will impact Robotech or Macross.

That's the way the story sounds to me too. It sounds more like it involves the founder of the company, not the company itself.

But it does give hope that studio will lose the Macross license eventually if employees are doing shady things like this.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Die Harmony Gold, Die!!

Your knowledge of the German language is quite impressive. Smile
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I miss the man, but I'm almost glad that the late, great Carl Macek didn't have to see this unfortunate turn of events in the life of a colleague of his.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I miss the man, but I'm almost glad that the late, great Carl Macek didn't have to see this unfortunate turn of events in the life of a colleague of his.

He's as much to blame for the whole debacle of the handling of the Robotech license as anyone else.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Berlusconi's sentence was almost immediately reduced to one year. Any word on if there were similar reductions for the other defendants? I couldn't find anything one way or the other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Harmony Gold makes more money in real estate than it does with Robotech, so this really shouldn't have an impact on that.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
joshjoshlol wrote:
HG is a blight to Macross fans in the US, period. They're great cutthroat business people, but awful trademark trolls.

i dont think so. Compared to the horror that is 4kids, HG a are lot better. and i definitely liked the robotech series.

However,it is true that cause of them and their BS, the macross series haven't had the chance to shine. though luckily ADV did do an uncut eng dub of season 1 and Manga Ent did macross plus without HG doing their thing.

I admit, if the end of Harmony Gold USA would mean the more eps of the macross series would be released in the US especially the new series, i would be all for it, but personally if it was a choice, i would rather HG stay afloat cause I'D SURE AS HELL PREFER THEM OVER 4KIDS AND NELVANA ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
I dunno. I read this article and I just don't see how this will impact Robotech or Macross. I'm not saying this shouldn't be on ANN, but rather that one shouldn't get their hopes up about "freeing the license." I could be wrong, but I just don't see how this will change things in relation to the franchise.

A man is allowed to dream, is he not?
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

He's as much to blame for the whole debacle of the handling of the Robotech license as anyone else.

Then why don't you go after the person in Japan that screwed up the Japanese dub of Beast Wars (where that show became a Japanese equivalent of a 4kid heavily edited anime).

jr0904 wrote:
joshjoshlol wrote:

i don't think so. Compared to the horror that is 4kids, HG a are lot better. and i definitely liked the robotech series.

However,it is true that cause of them and their BS, the macross series haven't had the chance to shine. though luckily ADV did do an uncut eng dub of season 1 and Manga Ent did macross plus without HG doing their thing.

I admit, if the end of Harmony Gold USA would mean the more eps of the macross series would be released in the US especially the new series, i would be all for it, but personally if it was a choice, i would rather HG stay afloat cause I'D SURE AS HELL PREFER THEM OVER 4KIDS AND NELVANA ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!

Harmony Gold and Carl Macek kept the Macross segment of Robotech close to the Japanese version. Carl Macek said it on various interview even on ANNcast.

I don't know why people are still hating Carl Macek and Harmony Gold over Robotech, without it we wouldn't have a good anime fanbase like it is today. I'm also surprised that nobody goes after Japan whenever they overedit our stuff.

-Remember Japan's "4kid style" alteration on Beast Wars.
-When Japan released The Herculoids, an American cartoon show in the 1960's. They changed some of the character's name.
-Also Japan seriously overedit some of our American games like what we did to Japanese games in the past, Police Quest 2 is one of those. could say the same for Maniac Mansion.

Last edited by mdo7 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4