• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fairy Tail Anime's TV Run to End on March 30

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darcueid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
This is the first time I've ever wrote something like this, which made me surprised when I realized it, because I've watched a lot of anime for a long time (wow I'm old Crying or Very sad) and never posted anything about any other anime.

So in advance, I would like to apologize if what I'm posting doesn't fit the thread topic, follow the current discussion, spelling and grammer, and/or sound like some kind of corny advertisement. Plus I'm pretty tired because I'm ill right now. Gomennasai *bow head deeply*

I just wanted to say that I've just recently been able to catch up on watching Fairy Tail recently, and it has made me cry, laugh, angry, surprised, fired up, happy, sad, and cry (again). Since, I've been catching up pretty quickly it has made me feel all of these emotions several times in a short time span. Because of this, I've gone from appreciating this show to loving it. A show that can move a person's heart so many times and in so many different ways is really something wonderful, even special. Being able to experience all of these emotions in such a short time has made me feel more alive recently, and I would like to thank the author and all the people who are/were able to bring this manga to anime form for me and everyone. The feelings you've poured into the characters and story have reached my heart and soul. I know that sounds cheesy, but I don't think I could word it differently at this moment. Again, thank you for sharing that with us.

I hope my words will reach the eyes, ears, bodies, hearts and souls of everyone above and any other person who may read this. And I hope that these people will share their appreciation/love for this show, just like I have tried here, with others so that they might come to watch and appreciate/love this anime like I have.

I also hope that this anime tv show will to run past March 30 or at least come back to us and continue with in a year so it may share more of those feelings again and again. ありがとうございます (Arigatou gozaimasu) Mashima. And thank you to the people who took their time to read this post. Very Happy
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
While it's sad to see the show go, I've mostly been keeping up with the manga. The similarities to One Piece (in both art and general importance of camaraderie and friendship themes) is actually what kept me hooked to the series and as it progressed, I really felt it has found it's own identity. It does a lot of the similar Shonen tropes we see in a lot of these types of series, but it also has some of the strongest and well designed female characters I've seen in any Shonen series. That's a first that I've seen in any Shonen series. Predominately strong and numerous female characters.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Lol. Boy, this thread went to hell quick.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:
I don't expect much. But guess what, Sword Art Online, Accel World, Kuroko's Basketball, Fate/Zero, K, Mariri Nikki, and Hyouka had receive worst TV raitings than this(thats why did't show up in the TV ratings, or maybe their raitings are private if they receive high raitings). Vivdred Opearation and maybe Durarara has good raitings. But it did well on home media realeses and Kuroko's basketball and Fate/Zero has a large fanbase. But I wonder why how it get low raitings besides late night?

All examples you mention are "late night anime", ratings are that low for them always, its normal, and they could care less about them, its dvd/bd sales that matter.

So no, you cannot compare them to justify FT ratings, for FT ratings matter, they were bad = cancelled. That simple.
Yosuke Suzuki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
from Mashima twitter satatus
ツイッターでも
づっと言いたかった事は時が
くるまでは言えないんです。
よい発表ができる日まで我慢。

ツづくよ
tsudzukuyo

look at the first word on every line,
is this some kind of secret words?
or just my imagination?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
daughterofashes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
darcueid wrote:

I just wanted to say that I've just recently been able to catch up on watching Fairy Tail recently, and it has made me cry, laugh, angry, surprised, fired up, happy, sad, and cry (again). Since, I've been catching up pretty quickly it has made me feel all of these emotions several times in a short time span. Because of this, I've gone from appreciating this show to loving it. A show that can move a person's heart so many times and in so many different ways is really something wonderful, even special. Being able to experience all of these emotions in such a short time has made me feel more alive recently, and I would like to thank the author and all the people who are/were able to bring this manga to anime form for me and everyone. The feelings you've poured into the characters and story have reached my heart and soul. I know that sounds cheesy, but I don't think I could word it differently at this moment. Again, thank you for sharing that with us.

I hope my words will reach the eyes, ears, bodies, hearts and souls of everyone above and any other person who may read this. And I hope that these people will share their appreciation/love for this show, just like I have tried here, with others so that they might come to watch and appreciate/love this anime like I have.

I also hope that this anime tv show will to run past March 30 or at least come back to us and continue with in a year so it may share more of those feelings again and again. ありがとうございます (Arigatou gozaimasu) Mashima. And thank you to the people who took their time to read this post. Very Happy

Well your words reached me Very Happy

I also really love this show. Is it gone forever......well......as many other people have pointed out other shows have ended just to come back later with things like "Final Act" or "Brotherhood" tacked at the end of the title. So I really do think the show coming back is a possibility. Maybe we'll get Fairy Tail Dragon....something.

I'm not going to let my heart get set on it but I think its possible. Especially since it is popular on an international level. I don't think they would spend the effort (or the $$ I"m sure) of speeding up the release of the manga here in the states if there were not people demanding it.

And you told your story of how you came to love the show so I will too. I actually read some of the manga before I ever watched the show. I'm not sure how many volumes but whatever volume it is that Lucy jumps from the tower after Phantom kidnaps her. I remember thinking the story was pretty good and I was going to finish it later but I wasn't in love with it yet. Then came along Funimation.

Now...I'm someone who likes a show dubbed better then subbed when things are meant to be funny so I really enjoy the Funimation dub for Fairy Tail (I even got my first set signed by Todd). I remember thinking 'was this really the same as the manga I read.' I then re-read all the books I'd read before and continued reading every volume that was available.

I came to realize that the show actually really improved upon the manga. The best example I can give you about art is the Tower of Heaven design. The one in the manga looks like an office building compared to what the anime did with it. The changes in writing are great too. For example the manga doesn't give too much detail about Lisanna's 'death'. But the anime goes into great detail and I think it was very well executed.

So it really was the anime that made me love Fairy Tail and not just the Manga. Though I will say that the manga got more interesting as Mashima has gotten better with his writing over time. He still makes some weird (and sometimes bad) writing decisions but he's getting better. His real strength is creating interesting characters in my opinion and that's what I think makes people like Fairy Tail so much. People just get so attached to all the interesting characters from all these guilds he's come up with.

So I also want to thank all the people who have been involved with creating this show. The love you put into it was obvious to me so thank you from the bottom of my fangirl heart.
zeondx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
Pros
- longevity of the manga which 300 plus chapters of material
- if the fairy tails manga sell well, then i would assume at least the manga will continue.
- if the anime does get started back up, then there will plenty of material to be animated.
- characters
- plot is ok
- art work is beautiful and stunning
- background
- music in the anime
- merchandise

Cons
- the sells of the dvds and blurays
- without the producer making money on the sales of dvds and blurays who is going to expect the anime to continue
- tv ratings being poor from what i have read in the earlier posts, do not quote me word for word though
-

Even if the anime doesnt continue, at least the manga will still sell. I just hope fairy tail's manga doesnt just end half way through the manga, and leaves several unanswered questions. The anime could be on hiatus, or could have ended. I do not know the answer to this question, but I could say we all have to wait on the author's response before anyone can actually know. My thoughts are telling me that there will be at least a half a year or a year of no episodes. Hopefully the author can catch up. Bleach and naruto anime have went on hiatus, so we can all expect a waiting period like bleach and naruto.
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:50 am Reply with quote
Yosuke Suzuki wrote:
ツイッターでも
づっと言いたかった事は時が
くるまでは言えないんです。
よい発表ができる日まで我慢。

ツづくよ
tsudzukuyo

or just my imagination?

Hey, that's quite a catch, but cant' be definite Anime hyper
BarCho66

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:48 am Reply with quote
zeondx wrote:
Pros
- longevity of the manga which 300 plus chapters of material
- if the fairy tails manga sell well, then i would assume at least the manga will continue.
- if the anime does get started back up, then there will plenty of material to be animated.
- characters
- plot is ok
- art work is beautiful and stunning
- background
- music in the anime
- merchandise

Cons
- the sells of the dvds and blurays
- without the producer making money on the sales of dvds and blurays who is going to expect the anime to continue
- tv ratings being poor from what i have read in the earlier posts, do not quote me word for word though
-

Even if the anime doesnt continue, at least the manga will still sell. I just hope fairy tail's manga doesnt just end half way through the manga, and leaves several unanswered questions. The anime could be on hiatus, or could have ended. I do not know the answer to this question, but I could say we all have to wait on the author's response before anyone can actually know. My thoughts are telling me that there will be at least a half a year or a year of no episodes. Hopefully the author can catch up. Bleach and naruto anime have went on hiatus, so we can all expect a waiting period like bleach and naruto.

No they haven't
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:40 am Reply with quote
At least the English version can maybe reach the end now.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:48 am Reply with quote
It seems like audiences are a lot less tolerant of filler than they used to be.

Remember when Naruto did two straight years of filler? Yet it still remained popular enough to continue to this day.

On the other hand, Bleach was cancelled mostly because of the terrible ratings its filler arcs got. It couldn't recover those viewers even when it returned to canon material.

Looks like Fairy Tail is in the same boat. After half a year of filler, the network was probably hoping its ratings would recover once it returned to canon material. Didn't happen, and now the show is history. Too bad.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
It seems like audiences are a lot less tolerant of filler than they used to be.

Remember when Naruto did two straight years of filler? Yet it still remained popular enough to continue to this day.

On the other hand, Bleach was cancelled mostly because of the terrible ratings its filler arcs got. It couldn't recover those viewers even when it returned to canon material.

Looks like Fairy Tail is in the same boat. After half a year of filler, the network was probably hoping its ratings would recover once it returned to canon material. Didn't happen, and now the show is history. Too bad.

Naruto never fully recovered of its 2 years of filler though. It still remained popular enough because it was initially far more popular than both Bleach and Fairy Tail (7-8% average with peaks at 9 or even 10%).
guildmaster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
Yosuke Suzuki wrote:
ツイッターでも
づっと言いたかった事は時が
くるまでは言えないんです。
よい発表ができる日まで我慢。

ツづくよ
tsudzukuyo

or just my imagination?

Um,,, Yeah that really helps most of us who don't read Japanese out tremendously. Rolling Eyes You wouldn't happen to be able to translate for the rest of us?

For a series that the haters say is so terrible, there is certainly a lot of interest.

My take is the series originator is still alive and kicking, and said there would be"god news" later, so wait and see what he says or does.

And if the haters would give it a rest and go watch their one piece or whatever, we'd all be appreciative.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
Yosuke Suzuki wrote:
ツイッターでも
づっと言いたかった事は時が
くるまでは言えないんです。
よい発表ができる日まで我慢。

ツづくよ
tsudzukuyo

or just my imagination?

You know, at first I thought you were just plugging in line breaks for funsies yourself-- and then I realized there actually are spaces at those spots in the tweet. I don't really know enough about JP Tweet-speak to say whether it's unusual or not, but that's an interesting catch.

Guildmaster: "Tsuzuku yo" = (roughly) "It continues" or "it's going to continue."
Vent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
That sounds pretty definite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11