• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Kazuya Murata, Director of Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
inb4 people vent their butthurt over 'Sacred Star Of Milos'. Razz
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I for one didn't like the FMA movie at all, but I admit I am exceedingly picky when it comes to that franchise.

And it is much easier to please fans with a story that is not in someone else's world with someone else's characters.

Anyways although I was disappointed in the latest episode, overall I am really enjoying Gargantia and its themes it is expressing so far.

Ledo has also become one of my favorite protagonists of the season. I love how his character is developing, changing and growing.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Definitely liking what I've seen of Gargantia up to this point.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Reading the interview made it more clear than ever that it's mostly about social issues, wrapped in a sci-fi package. I feel a little foolish for having focused so tightly on the technical aspects of the show, as that's not really what it is about. It's still a reasonably enjoyable show, though, so I still continue to watch it, at least for now.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Funimation didn't pick Gargantia up considering its a Production IG title and they've been licensing everything from them lately.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

You also directed the TWO-MIX video for their song 'White Reflection' - did you ever think that video would be as famous as it is now? How do you feel about that particular video being such a big hit in America?

I didn't know that “White Reflection” was famous in the U.S.A. When it was released in Japan, there was little chance of exposure through the media. I thought that the video was left unknown. If many people in America enjoyed watching it, I feel honored. “White Reflection” contains full landscapes of America from the 70's to the 80's. I am very happy if people are enjoying them.

Wow, that was so long ago. Shocked

Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
Gargantia so far has been a singularly delightful viewing experience for me. Its depiction of everyday life on a Blue Earth (why it was subtitled as the "verdurous planet" continues to mystify me, unless we're in for a big end-of-season twist) is pervasively detailed, giving rise to a cast of characters that really feel like they were born and raised there. The cinematic lessons that Murata has internalized about community-making really show. The commitment to showcasing technical detail and its smart integration with the goings-on of the story--barring the Big Picture issue of how our world became completely submerged in water--is evocative of Production IG's best work, such as SAC.

This feat is made all the more impressive by the transition from action-fueled space opera pretenses to distant future slice-of-life that was necessitated to achieve it; that maneuver had the potential to end as disastrously as the first episode's fleet battle did, and yet has been pulled off seamlessly. Further credit can be laid at the feet of Ledo, Chamber, and his new friends among the people of Gargantia for illustrating how jarring this change could be, and simultaneously welcoming the audience into their world. They're a diverse, exciting group that stand out for blending in so well, and making every scene entertaining.

And so I continue to wait eagerly for every episode, and hope, always dearly hope that Urobuchi doesn't decide to come back one day and make everybody die.

I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I'm surprised that Funimation didn't pick Gargantia up considering its a Production IG title and they've been licensing everything from them lately.

I suspect it's only a matter of time.
ct760ster

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I think that the verdorous adjective come from the primary source of biomass and life in this future version of the Earth, the plancton that form the life stream that navigate the ocean and bring energy to the populace in this age, you can see that pretty much of the ocean is depicted with a greenish tinge in this show. Wink
Galap

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Reading the interview made it more clear than ever that it's mostly about social issues, wrapped in a sci-fi package. I feel a little foolish for having focused so tightly on the technical aspects of the show, as that's not really what it is about. It's still a reasonably enjoyable show, though, so I still continue to watch it, at least for now.

It seems to be what it's about at least in a pretty major sense. Maybe it isn't the BIGGEST theme, but it seems to be a pretty big theme. In the interview, the director says that he really wanted to use this setting.

Anyway, I'm quite liking Gargantia for what it is, and I found this interview to be pretty interesting. Apparently Kazuya Murata has similar tastes in scifi movies to me, as Blade Runner and Brazil are two of my favorites as well. I find it really interesting that he mentioned Stalker. I personally didn't care particularly much for it, but I found it interesting, and I'm interested by the fact that he particularly likes it.

As for the FMA movie, I really liked it. It expanded the FMA setting a good amount and had some amazing animation.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
ct760ster wrote:
I think that the verdorous adjective come from the primary source of biomass and life in this future version of the Earth, the plancton that form the life stream that navigate the ocean and bring energy to the populace in this age, you can see that pretty much of the ocean is depicted with a greenish tinge in this show. Wink

Well, there's a smart answer I hadn't thought of. My colorblind self is enlightened.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
there are some live action films and anime shows, which influenced me strongly. Live action films such as "Close Encounters", "Blade Runner", "Brazil”, and "Stalker".

Nice choices. Very Happy All four of them are visually interesting and convey a big part of their story and mood in pictures instead of dialogue. Brazil easily makes my top 10 movie list, and I've always thought of Close Encounters as may favorite Spielberg movie, one of the few ones that weren't ruined for me by feeling lectured or treated like a child in the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1