• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Viz Media Debuts Weekly Shonen Jump in the U.K., Ireland, South Africa, Australia, and New Zeala

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
I haven't got Shonen Jump (U.S. version) since they stopped printing it on paper since I don't have any of the devices that it's now available on.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
I haven't got Shonen Jump (U.S. version) since they stopped printing it on paper since I don't have any of the devices that it's now available on.

See how depending the modern era is on these things? I wish they never existed and we still had print.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:

See how depending the modern era is on these things? I wish they never existed and we still had print.

Well thankfully they still have just regular Manga books on paper. If that went away, then I wouldn't be getting Manga at all.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:

Well thankfully they still have just regular Manga books on paper. If that went away, then I wouldn't be getting Manga at all.

We learn when we're done for.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
You do realise Tinfoil is so not you, right? Take that hat off, you're being silly.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:

You don't have a PC?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:

The value of digital Weekly Shonen Jump is greater then any print book could ever be.

200+ pages. $1. Weekly.

Print can not match that value. Period.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:

The value of digital Weekly Shonen Jump is greater then any print book could ever be.

200+ pages. $1. Weekly.

I really can't see the value personally.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:

200+ pages. $1. Weekly.

Are you bad at math?

Print is basically incapable of providing what WSJ provides. High page count, low price, and same day as Japan.

The Same Day as Japan bit is also important, due to how late creators in Japan can turn stuff in, on top of the time needed for translation, then getting books to print, and in store racks.

Print just can't compete. Previous versions of Print Jump were monthly, only had like 3 or 4 series at a time and cost too damn much. Print sucks for Jump.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:

200+ pages. $1. Weekly.

Are you bad at math?

Print is basically incapable of providing what WSJ provides. High page count, low price, and same day as Japan.

The Same Day as Japan bit is also important, due to how late creators in Japan can turn stuff in, on top of the time needed for translation, then getting books to print, and in store racks.

Print just can't compete. Previous versions of Print Jump were monthly, only had like 3 or 4 series at a time and cost too damn much. Print sucks for Jump.

I'm not bad at math, I simply can't see the value in something I have already termed "Disposable Entertainment" a few years back. It's not that print can't keep up with what digital can do, I merely view the concerns for the non-physicality of it all in my opinion (yes, I'm OLD).
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
More entertainment should be treated as disposable. Those of us that don't require something to retain literal dollar value over time, and instead take the value of the content itself as entertainment... it makes life so much simpler. Not to mention you read more cool stuff. Which is the whole point of the thing in the end.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
Weekly Shonen Jump can hardly be considered disposable, though, as it is a permanent collection accessible not just through your PC, but on basically any web-enabled device.

And of course, they also have special features, like bonus one-shots and crossovers, and every year they send out a print "yearbook" to subscribers that includes posters and manga specials.

$25 for 48 issues (on average clocking in at 200-250 pages these days), plus extras, is an incredible value.

And for what it's worth, the quality is leaps and bounds beyond bootleg scanlations (even the so-called high quality scanlations). Scanlations will never be able to match the image quality -- nevermind the professional translations.

Frankly, the English-language WSJ is even higher quality than what people get in Japan, because in Japan WSJ is printed on the cheapest possible paper with the cheapest possible ink. It looks like trash. People just recycle them when they're done reading them, and purchase the tankobon editions when they get released, which are printed with nice ink on nice paper.

Viz still publishes print volumes, but there is no way that they can do a print version of WSJ. The logistics and cost make it impossible. It would never be profitable. That's why they shifted to digital in the first place -- after the manga bubble burst, they had to adapt or die.

And frankly, they've done an incredible job offering a high quality product at a very affordable price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1