• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Moshidora

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
The reason for Moshidora not being simulcast is pretty simple, as I recall: it was actually run daily on NHK over the course of two weeks. Good luck speedsubbing that. (though someone did)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
As long as those subbers are on hand, turnaround may only take a few good hours. I almost felt compelled to watch the series because it was only 10 episodes, but never got around to doing that, but I did end up working on a doujinshi for it.
aoi yuuki fanboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
This was actually on my backlog before I read this article. I'll get around to watching it... someday.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Moshidora.
Its basic premise was such a completely bizarre and ludicrous notion that I was glued to every episode.
spoiler[Although it was patently obvious from episode 1 that Miki was DOOMED!]
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I thought the writing was fair enough. It didn't reach very far, but it was competent in what it tried to do. I though Miki's story in particular was good. Minami's relationship with baseball was dealt with kind of lamely, though.

The whole "fixing people's problems" angle and later spoiler[death of main character's significant female friend from illness, the main character losing their way and then being helped by those they helped] kind of reminded me of Clannad, and I can't really say Moshidora stacked up too badly. I wish it were a boxing title so I could say it punched above its weight and have it be comic genius.

Last edited by jymmy on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, it doesn't really sound like THAT bizarre a concept, and I could easily see this being the premise for an Adam Sandler-esque type of Hollywood comedy. Or some 80s comedy starring Goldie Hawn.

It should also be noted that Peter Drucker was a special consultant for the 1986 Cleveland Indians--yes, the baseball team. Obviously, sports management seeking counsel outside of the sports box has never been that unusual.

Last edited by bravetailor on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
ANN never let you down with cynic, arrogant reviews.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show. As Justin points out, it's nothing special but it sucked me in, somehow. I am a bit of sucker for spoiler[Sad Plot Points.]
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
And I thought the anime with the food/animal hybrids was a weird idea. Actually,this is a lot less strange than some of the other anime I've heard about. I wouldn't be surprised if someday they have the ghost of Peter Drucker appear before Minami and say in a German accent "Vell,Minami,how are ze baseball games going?" I wouldn't be surprised if the people who made this didn't do that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if someday they have the ghost of Peter Drucker appear before Minami and say in a German accent "Vell,Minami,how are ze baseball games going?" I wouldn't be surprised if the people who made this didn't do that.

Zay didn't do zat.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
lol, what Enya song is it ripping off specifically?
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
It seemed kind of split between trying to fit the Drucker-style baseball management, competition, and the tragedy and motivating players. Overall it was a fun show but I enjoyed the tragedy element the most.

There were also live action parts after the ending that were not translated that included all the background with the author and Drucker himself
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Watched it an enjoyed it a lot. Many times better than several other anime airing at the time.
heavyweather

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No company would ever spend money on this

Now watch as Media Blasters puts it out on Blu-Ray.

Anyway, I remember hearing about this when it came out, and it made me interested in reading Drucker's stuff. Still need to get around to reading Management...
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
As a follow-up, they should produce Zachman Framework: The Animation.

I'm one of those who heard of this, marveled incredulously at the premise and then more or less let it all slip by. I don't have a particular desire to see it and if I wanted to learn about Peter Drucker, I'd probably just read his books*, but I like the idea of something this weirdly esoteric exists.

It's a slight shame that it wasn't streamed over here. I'd kind of like to see how people would react.

BassKuroi wrote:
ANN never let you down with cynic, arrogant reviews.

But is wasn't...

I don't understand.

*Oddly, I've worked with a few people who were very interested in management theories and practice, but none of them ever mentioned Peter Drucker. Perhaps he's just not as popular with government managers.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2