• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Yagami-kun's Family Affairs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
Y'know, the character designs don't really look all THAT bad. It's like a weird mix of Rumiko Takahashi and Masakazu Katsura, which seems right for a "comedy" series from this time period.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
of all the great work that kusunoki key has, this was the one that became anime ?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To our forum moderators, I apologize for this talkback thread in advance.

Laughing

Oddly enough, even though incest, as Justin indicates, is now a shopworn anime trope, the son-mom angle seems relatively rare outside of hentai. Since becoming a full-time anime fan in 2009, I've been aware of a ton of bro-con, sis-con material but no mom-con(?)

Actually, the rare and shocking thing about Yagami-kun's Family Affairs these days is that a MC's parents would actually be important characters.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
While we're on the subject of incest, I'm just curious about something. Are there are any good OVAs of sons falling in love with their bara fathers?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Justin opens up with the subject of incest being normal in Anime and how it's no longer shocking in any way--and yet only gives examples of brother/sister romances, which was all I ever knew and thought about. I was not prepared for this kind of incest and ironically I was still shocked and went "ewwww" just from reading this article. Are there really other examples of parent/child "romances" I'm not aware of?
Etrien

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm also of the mind that parental incest is on a whole 'nother scale than sibling incest, much like sibling is to cousin. And aside from a few throw-away jokes, it's also nothing I can really recall seeing done for fetishistic or erotic reasons in non-hentai titles. The title in question this time was just an OAV, but I suspect that if an actual broadcast show were to come out with such an premise, even now it'd raise an eyebrow or three.
se37

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree with the others above. I have seen a good number of brother/sister incest but nothing (outside of hentai) for parents. I think the main reason is due to the fact that they are mainly around the same age while parents are a whole generation and can turn off even people who like the brother/sister incest type.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Astra4000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Long ago, when I was associated with a small sub group known as KNA, this comedy was one of our final projects. I think I still have the subs on floppy somewhere. Tossing a nearly quarter-century old anime onto the pile of shame for having an aspect that is now "played out" sounds a bit pell-mell. I suppose there are fans that don't laugh at shows like Dragon Half or City Hunter, because their 80's era bawdiness just seems dull and corny in comparison to the more intense series that have followed. YKNJ isn't a treasure, but as a fan of Akira Kamiya, I wanted to see at least a limited release. Our subs filled a time-slot at OTAKON long ago when the VA was a guest.

The main character gains what I would call a "starry-eyed" complex about his adolescent looking mom. Pressure from his teasing classmates and wolfish teacher combine with misunderstandings to send everyone into Takahashi-style chaos. For example, Yagami has doubts about being his parents child, because he's never seen a baby photo. At the end of episode one, his cute mom reveals the lost pictures, showing him as a cringe-inducing-ugly baby. The silly jokes continue in this fashion, and anything risque doesn't even reach the level seen in shows like B Gata H Kei. If all it takes to get a shameful review is genial direction, then this column will have a lot of material.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
Yeah, I agree with the others above. I have seen a good number of brother/sister incest but nothing (outside of hentai) for parents. I think the main reason is due to the fact that they are mainly around the same age while parents are a whole generation and can turn off even people who like the brother/sister incest type.

We're also talking about people that literally gave birth to you. That's what I can't not think about.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Any time I see 'Kitty' on an anime, I immediately think of the American hentai distributor. This has happened a few times.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Astra4000 wrote:
If all it takes to get a shameful review is genial direction, then this column will have a lot of material.

Pile of Shame refers to 'stuff Justin hasn't gotten around to watching yet but has meant to for decades' not 'everything that gets reviewed in this column is trash'.

Since launching this column I've become intimately familiar with just how many people have never heard the term 'Pile of Shame' before and think it's somehow negative. All it means is 'stuff I'm ashamed I still haven't seen'.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Well there is that whole Chibiusa having a crush on Mamoru thing in Sailor Moon but that's rather confusing as she seems to see Mamoru as a person separate to King Endymion even though they are the same person Chibiusa wasn't (in the anime - she kinda was in the manga) at first aware of this and it's played out like a little girl who's mixing up familial love with her idea of romance rather than anything else.

That is until she becomes Black Lady and in the manga kisses him whilst he's hypnotized but even then Black Lady appears to be based on Chibiusa's idea of what it is like to be an adult rather than anything to do with actually being an adult. Then later on she falls in love with Helios anyway... who is in the form of a horse.

....yeah, I love Sailor Moon but Chibiusa seems to attract the weirdest romance subplots (and she didn't have any romantic feelings for Helios in the manga until he was revealed as actually human but the anime's not so clear).

Anime is indeed screwy at times isn't it? Maybe I need to take a break today and read some American comics where no one falls in love with a horse....

Oh wait.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
@ Zac - the Pile of Shame reference makes sense when it's explained, but I confess I didn't realize what it meant at first, either. If you are not familiar with its meaning in that context, the logical conclusion you come to is that the title under review must be shameful for some reason. I guess it's too late now, but it's kind of too bad the column hadn't been called The Backlog or something else that is literally descriptive.
Astra4000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
"Pile of shame" carries a connotation, much like pronouncing that this series hinges on the shock value of incest. The "shock gimmick" of the story is shown in the very first scene, when Yagami's mom appears at school for the first time. The crazy fact she looks 16 is the "family problem"; her son developing a hormonal complex is just part of the fallout. His antics are not the entire focus either, a stymied school girlfriend and a pretty woman pursuing the middle-aged dad are introduced in the 2nd and final videos.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I guess it's too late now, but it's kind of too bad the column hadn't been called The Backlog or something else that is literally descriptive.

Yeah, I never hear anyone referring to the untouched stack of items you need to get through as a "pile of shame" either, just some kind of backlog. The Backlog of Shame.

Anyway, I was sort of half paying attention to this anime when I saw it about two years ago, almost entirely because of the incest angle, and I agree it's just not really anything worth discussing these days. Go Nagai OVAs of about the same vintage contain more shock value or exude weird and conflicting feelings. Ultimately, it comes off as just another throwaway rental that you supplemented your weekend with but has no kind of lasting power. Not saying it's bad, I watch them all the time and enjoy doing so, but it's definitely not something that'll ever appear recommended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3