• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-11-10]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
As always good job Zac, and most importantly I really want to know what the cost are for the production of anime. It would be extremely interesting to compare dubs of FLCL, GITS:SAC to other popular titles....Naruto, FMA, Bleach etc etc etc.
roujin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
as long as there is no dumb 4chan meme cosplay, everything will be right with the wolrd.
saiyajedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
James Clark wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist is not a kid's show and its audience should be old enough and mature enough to handle seeing a cross. The same can be said for Naruto, which is wrongfully being aimed at younger viewers.

After these two sentences, I started laughing hysterically.

The rant had its ups and downs until that point, but that basically clinched it on the side of "uninformed fanwank." Rolling Eyes
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
The rant wrote:
My Rant has to do with Censorship, Editing, and overall Americanization.

I stopped reading immediately after this sentence. Was this really the best rant you got from this week? How disappointing. Sad Out of curiosity, could you give us a rough estimate of the percent of rants you receive per week that exercise proper grammar and capitalization, Zac?
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
Ya' know, when I went to MangaNEXT, there was a guy cosplaying Captain Planet... CAPTAIN PLANET! But, I guess it's not that uncommon. I wouldn't have known though, had Zac not mentioned it, because MangaNEXT was my first con, and the only one I've ever been to. Good article, though. Each article, I learn more and more about the anime industry and cons. Very Happy
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:

I stopped reading immediately after this sentence. Was this really the best rant you got from this week? How disappointing. Sad Out of curiosity, could you give us a rough estimate of the percent of rants you receive per week that exercise proper grammar and capitalization, Zac?

Sometimes I publish something in that section that I violently disagree with. I also don't bother editing their spelling and grammar; I am a firm believer in the notion that what you type online is very indicative of your voice. Which means I'm more than happy to let someone's dumb argument sound even worse by presenting it in its original form.

Smile
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
roujin wrote:
as long as there is no dumb 4chan meme cosplay, everything will be right with the wolrd.

I've seen a few excellent 4chan meme cosplay photos on the ‘net, and no matter how many times it's done before I still laugh out loud whenever I see Raptor Jesus.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
rant wrote:
While it has more style than Berserk which consists of only "Blood and Boobs,"
I wouldn't open that can of worms if I were you. There's obviously more to it then that*. Why else would it be the #1 Manga? And watch out for the fanboys.

*I've never actually read it but, judging by what people say, it is an amazing series.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
A rather disappointing rant. However, I'll answer his/her question, to the best of my ability, just in case he/she is reading this thread.

Quote:
If manga like Berserk and Basilisk can be released in America with little to no change at all, why cant series like Fullmetal Alchemist?

Because titles like Berserk and Basilisk are clearly adult titles and no amount of editing could make them less so; editing would simply take time and effort (i.e. money) and would only result in losing customers.

In titles being aimed at kids and teens, its a bit more complicated since younger audiences are going to be reading them. I think the editing is unneccesary most of the time, but their reasoning seems to be A) they don't want parents protesting what their precious innocent children read in books they failed to check beforehand (i.e. proper parenting) and B) some people will simply refuse to buy books with certain content and they think that removing the content will result in more sales than leaving it in.

As a result, they tend to edit content if they think it will increase sales.

The FullMetal Alchemist edit seems unneccessary, but one can at least see where Viz is coming from in that case. Sometimes you get edits that are just strange. Like the edits in Moon Phase (sexual assault is fine as long as there are no nipples, apparently) and [b]Flame of Recca[/b (nudity is okay around volume 13, but not in volume 20).
Vash024

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:01 am Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
rant wrote:
While it has more style than Berserk which consists of only "Blood and Boobs,"
I wouldn't open that can of worms if I were you. There's obviously more to it then that*. Why else would it be the #1 Manga? And watch out for the fanboys.

*I've never actually read it but, judging by what people say, it is an amazing series.

Oh believe me, there's much more to it than that. This person clearly doesn't understand the creativity of Miura. I bet my life on it that he hasn't read any of it or enough of it.
Disco Pete

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
I've only gone to my first con this last spring (Sakuracon in Seattle), so I never really thought about it, but yeah, I could see someone getting burned out on cons, especially if they don't have their friends to hang with.

When I went I really didn't do much. Wandered around a lot; did a little shopping. Didn't attend any panels, and the only major events I went to were the cosplay skit contest and the AMV contest. Watched some anime in the theater rooms. Sat around and watched the cosplayers. I was still having fun, but I don't think I'd like to do the same thing next year.

I noticed that I had a lot less fun when my friends weren't around. But I met some peole, and it was fun talking with them. Perhaps a panel on meeting people at the con, or something like that.

A panel on modeling sounds interesting. I wonder if Sakuracon will have one next year?
redcomet15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:06 am Reply with quote
roujin wrote:
as long as there are awesome 4chan meme cosplay, everything will be right with the wolrd.

Fix'd.

Hahaha, sorry, sorry, old habits die hard. Seriously though, if people are having fun dressing up as Internet memes at conventions, why should it be a problem as long as they aren't causing harm to themselves or anyone else? Sure, some might claim such cosplay is offensive to their tastes and that's harm enough, but personal taste is purely subjective amirite? (Oops, let another one slip~)
Oh well. To each their own, eh?

The Rant wrote:
While it has more style than Berserk which consists of only "Blood and Boobs..."

Laughing

Oh wait--you weren't joking?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
I can understand why a person can be upset with edits though. They are annoying especially when they ruin the whole idea of the show or charcter histories. *cough*onepiece*cough*

might cost more but it seems like comapines could sell uncut mangas online only. That way people can get their fix without having to see nipple-less females or random edits. Or maybe take orders for only a certain amount and then sell those. maybe even charge a dollar or two more for thr effort.
(and yes I do know that they released unedited yugioh and shaman king dvds and it failed)

As for naruto...it is sad they edited it but they do have the uncut half season dvds.

edit: enjoyed the column. i wish people would quit about the naruto fillers though.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote
Ew, terrible rant. I agree with some of its basic premise, but reading things like this makes me embarassed about my preference sometimes.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
roujin wrote:

I've seen a few excellent 4chan meme cosplay photos on the ‘net, and no matter how many times it's done before I still laugh out loud whenever I see Raptor Jesus.

I totally hate the "Habbo Raid/Nigra/POOLS CLOSED/CON'S CLOSED crap as of late. One question: Why?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9