• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Spinoff Manga to Run in Aria Shōjo Magazine

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I bet they are just trying to get every demographic into this series.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
If we have another Levi Cleaning scene I'm sold.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
If they're going the shoujo route, let's hope for some fujoshi pandering Levi x Erwin scenes.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
BinBouGami1234 wrote:
I bet they are just trying to get every demographic into this series.

Female audiences are already a major demographic for AoT. Eren/Levi is like the new Naruto/Sasuke when it comes to yaoi mangas at the most recent Comiket..
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Eren/Levi is far beyond any sort of Naruto/Sasuke level. It's the new Tiger/Bunny or whichever Kurobas pairings were popular.

But yeah, shoujo manga and fujoshi don't typically go well, so I don't see them doing the same thing.
Kebble

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Milk something for all its worth... and in a few years Disney will be doing a live action adaption for North American theaters. We'll be able to get Attack on Titan underpants just like ToyStory, and maybe even Attack on Titan themed Angry Birds.

I hate when a show's popularity attracts people looking for more money. Also, how am I supposed to enjoy an anime when people keep comparing it to Naruto? That's as painful as listening to my mom call every other anime girl "a Sailor Moon". I like being in North America, because there's a huge ocean between me and the mountain of crap that gets sold to Otaku in Japan. I'm a fan of the show, not some consumer who's going to throw money into a market for popular anime spinoffs and accessories.
Fluffifullness

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the creators are milking it for all it's worth, but dammit - if it means more Levi-heichou, then more power to them! His character doesn't get much of anything in the way of development in the original story, so can it hurt to give fans a bit more to work with? I mean, he's literally been voted the most popular character in reader polls...
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
And the award for least surprising spin off manga ever goes to...
Kreion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Kebble wrote:
Milk something for all its worth... and in a few years Disney will be doing a live action adaption for North American theaters. We'll be able to get Attack on Titan underpants just like ToyStory, and maybe even Attack on Titan themed Angry Birds.

I hate when a show's popularity attracts people looking for more money. Also, how am I supposed to enjoy an anime when people keep comparing it to Naruto? That's as painful as listening to my mom call every other anime girl "a Sailor Moon". I like being in North America, because there's a huge ocean between me and the mountain of crap that gets sold to Otaku in Japan. I'm a fan of the show, not some consumer who's going to throw money into a market for popular anime spinoffs and accessories.

SnK is way too dark for Disney to want to get into that, stop being an idiot. As it being compared to naruto - where? The only comparison between it and Naruto that I've seen is in this thread relating to yaoi pairings. That's not exactly worth mentioning.

Don't get all hollier-than-thou about merchandise either. Some of it may be unnecessary but it's not like it affects you at all so don't act like you're better just because you don't get it. Hell you don't buy the magazine SnK is published it, the blu-rays or anything like that either. So really you don't give jack to the original creator, unless you get the translation of the manga which isn't always available.

Now spin off's aren't always necessarily a bad thing. I'm more of a fan of side-stories myself (one off v.s a continuous thing) but you only have to look at something like Railgun to see how popular they can be. Granted I dislike Railgun - but clearly a lot of other people like it so let them have their fun.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Levi's past? SOLD! Levi AND Erwin's pasts? DOUBLE SOLD! Forget Eren, I'm all about Levi and Erwin. ^____^ My mind can't get past Eren/Levi when I think that Eren is FIFTEEN and Levi is supposed to be like in his early 30s. Just, no. ...Though I'll admit some of the illustrations are kinda nice. =x

Anyway, will pick up the tankoubon volumes of this when they're released.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Levi's past? SOLD! Levi AND Erwin's pasts? DOUBLE SOLD! Forget Eren, I'm all about Levi and Erwin. ^____^

My thoughts exactly. Levi/Erwin - BL or not - is by far the more interesting relationship, so this has me intrigued. And running in a shoujo magazin means that it will have decent art at the very least. Smile
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
My thoughts exactly. Levi/Erwin - BL or not - is by far the more interesting relationship, so this has me intrigued. And running in a shoujo magazin means that it will have decent art at the very least. Smile

Erwin seems to be the only person Levi trusts completely. I'm very curious as to what Erwin did to earn Levi's trust on that level.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
I don't see a problem with spin offs, if you don't like it or are not interested then don't read/watch, it's fairly simple.

I also don't see why there seems to be a problem with a series making money and more "money making" products relating to the series being produced. Higher the popularity the less likely it is to be dropped or to enter a hiatus, surly that is what any fan would want, as long as the story doesn't suffer. Again stay away from these "evil" money making items and stick to the base product if that's what you prefer but the majority of the time, more products means the series is more popular. That is not a bad thing Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
AFAIC, The more new fans AoT brings in, the better. So bring on the spin-offs.
Ginsan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:12 am Reply with quote
Fujoshi bait. Everyone pair Levi up with someone, especially guys @@.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1