• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
We may have not seen it, but I'm sure Mayu had a Baka Fan/Hammer somewhere! Wink Laughing

Well hey, she spoiler[didn't hesitate to hit Kyo or pour water on him.]

Well, she is a strong willed woman. Laughing Only a woman like her could have the power to face those two crazy friends of Hatori's. I'm sure that she won't have any problem in that. Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
We may have not seen it, but I'm sure Mayu had a Baka Fan/Hammer somewhere! Wink Laughing

Well hey, she spoiler[didn't hesitate to hit Kyo or pour water on him.]

Well, she is a strong willed woman. Laughing Only a woman like her could have the power to face those two crazy friends of Hatori's. I'm sure that she won't have any problem in that. Wink

I'm sure that Ayame spoiler[will behave for Mayu just like he behaves for Hatori. And she'll probably threaten Shigure the same way Hatori does as well.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:34 pm Reply with quote
In three hours or so I will post for who our next character of the week will be. It is a he, and a very crazy character (should give a hint for anyone wanting to guess Wink ). If nobody replies after my post I'll just edit this one.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
In three hours or so I will post for who our next character of the week will be. It is a he, and a very crazy character (should give a hint for anyone wanting to guess Wink ). If nobody replies after my post I'll just edit this one.

My first thought was Ritsu the Monkey but in checking how to spell the name correctly...I've changed my mind:

It has to be Ayame the Snake!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:32 am Reply with quote
To my fellow Fruits Basketholics, starting now until Saturday the 23rd, we are headed into Ayame Discussion Week.

Related characters to Ayame:
- Yuki
- Hatori
- Shigure
- Mayu
- Yuki and Ayame's Mom
- Kyo
- Mine
- Tohru
- The Girl who liked Ayame in high school

I think this about rounds up who can be tied to Ayame. Remember that when we discuss characters, we discuss their relationships to these characters from our character's point of view, so as not to get into any confusion.

I'm tired and seem to have a headache right now, plus I have to work tomorrow, so I'll let somebody else start the conversation. I will be back tomorrow morning hopefully before I go to work. Have fun everybody Wink

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Tue May 22, 2007 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
cerulean88

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:34 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
To my fellow Fruits Basketholics, starting now until Saturday the 23rd, we are headed into Ayame Discussion Week.

Related characters to Ayame:
- Yuki
- Hatori
- Shigure
- Mayu
- Yuki and Ayame's Mom
- Kyo
- Mine
- Tohru
- The Girl who liked Ayame in high school

I think this about rounds up who can be tied to Ayame. Remember that when we discuss characters, we discuss their relationships to these characters from our character's point of view, so as not to get into any confusion.

I'm tired and seem to have a headache right now, plus I have to work tomorrow, so I'll let somebody else start the conversation. I will be back tomorrow morning hopefully before I go to work. Have fun everybody Wink

Have fun at work fighterholic!! Get plenty of rest whenever you can =/ Arrrrgh i haven't read all the previous posts since i've left but then looks like i'll have to do that once my holiday starts at the end of next week =( Busy busy busy. I read the last few posts and i forgot who Mayu is!!! *feels so guilty* i've even lost my ability to talk using various vocabs, easy and hard and if that is not bad enough, i'm starting to answer people using another language when they're asking me something using English Anime hyper I think knowing too many different languages is really troublesome and tiring sometimes Mad my head aches just thinking about it Evil or Very Mad Okay i have no idea which characters have been thorougly discussed about but then i shall join in on this one =) AYAME.

Umm let's see... Ayame is Yuki's older brother...yeah? This is really not a good time for me to discuss furuba atm x____x ummm okay can i please just state the obvious first to get my brain going and i apologise for i'm probably going to repeat things that people have already said so please bear with me...so Ayame and Yuki doesn't have a good relationship with each other cause they never interact with each other when they were younger...Ayame rejected Yuki and he came to regret it later on as he got older. Yuki never hated him but then he feels some sort of should i say resentment? towards him. No that's not the right word, i would say that he just doesn't any feelings bound for his older brother. He doesn't understand him for they're so different in character and personality. Yuki however wants to get to know Ayame and vice versa but Ayame always ruins it by bursting into his lively self that Yuki finds really annoying. I think Ayame is overconfident (all the time) and obnoxious. spoiler[O do you guys rmb the bit where he was sewing onto Yuki's shirt the words "bro's property" or something like that.] Thats funny =p

Ayame's mom definitely couldn't handle him and thinks Ayame as a "failed product" and so doesn't care about him anymore.

The only person who Ayame listens to is Hatori. And i think it's simply because Hatori has all the traits and personality that he doesn't have and so he's become his role model ever since they were in high school. Hatori is really cool and Ayame loves his downright attitude when it comes to handling all kinds of things. Although Hatori never truly shows his inner feelings out, Ayame always knows how he feels, and that goes for Shigure too.

I think Mine spoiler[is just such an awesome person for loving Ayame eventhough she doesn't know that Ayame was cursed. I forgot on which book this is but then my friend told me of this one scene where he asked Mine if she knows of his secret but then he abruptly changes the subject. I think that just shows how he's afraid of losing the only person, not to mention a female, whom he's grown really close to. It's also shown that MIne actually knows alot Ayame too when Yuki and Tohru came over to his shop. He kept his distance with her but when his curse was broken he hugged Mine (chp 130) and confessed his love for her.] I really pity that girl who liked Ayame in high school =p but then it's a good thing that she didn't hold any grudge against him.

Sorry i really can't go on. I'll be back next week Sad Have Takaya-san ever stated what the age gap between Yuki and Ayame is? Was it 10?
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:17 am Reply with quote
cerulean88 wrote:
Quote:
i've even lost my ability to talk using various vocabs, easy and hard and if that is not bad enough, i'm starting to answer people using another language when they're asking me something using English Anime hyper I think knowing too many different languages is really troublesome and tiring sometimes Mad my head aches just thinking about it Evil or Very Mad

I know what you mean: I know about five foreign languages and let me tell you: boy, is difficult sometimes not to mix Italian with Spanish. Wink So relax: everybody suffers at some point. Very Happy

btw, fighterholic, nice character this week. Laughing
fighterholic wrote:
Quote:
spoiler[Since these characters you're suggesting to leave at the end, I suggest, however, that the most important character be left for last, even if that breaks the order of male/female. I hope you know who I am talking about.] Wink
[/spoiler]
I definetly know whom do you mean. Very Happy And you really seem to enjoy the role of the announcer and of choosing a character. Laughing Most definetly your enthusiasm is chatchy. Wink Laughing

Ok, enough with the blah, blah.... Embarassed I most definetly like Ayame. I'm sorry to say this but he's about the funniest character in the manga, and his madness may be considered equal only to Nabe's madness. Laughing Ayame has always been in the center of his life and he hasn't cared much about anyone, especially about his little btoher or about his family. He liked very much to be in the center of the attention and I'm still wondering how he got to be the spoiler[students' president] Surprised Still his selfish perspective upon the world changes in the minute that he realises that something more deeply must be done on this planet.

I think that what affected him so much wa the fact that he realised that except for his friends he doesn't mean anything for the others, and especially to Yuki and thus the campaign of conquering Yuki begins.

Hatori is for Ayame a special person. I can still remember the time when spoiler[Kana was about to get married and Ayame wanted so much for Hatori to be happ. And there's the other episode when he just posed as someone special and Hatori told him to stop with the stupidities he does and do something good.]I would say that maybe Hatori has all the qualities that Ayame might not have but at the same time Hatori needs a firned like Ayame. A humrous person who cares much about the friends that he has (especially now), a person that is very warm in spite of all the superficiality that surrounds him. I am still amused about the clear difference that exists between this monument of seriosity that Hatori is and this constant source of humour that Ayame is. Even as I am writing this I can't help myself not having a smile on my face. Very Happy

Ok, I'll stop here cause this turns into a really really long post and I do apologise for it. Embarassed Just one small question: spoiler[I was wondering about Ayame's shop.... what was he actually selling?] Wink Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
SO many things written while I've been gone Very Happy Which has been what, nine hours? Rolling Eyes

To answer cerulean's question first. Yes, the age gap between Ayame and Yuki is ten. Glad to see you're still around and good luck!

aya_honda, you and I have helped to shape this thread to become what it is now and we have kept the topic of this series alive thanks to this thread. My deepest gratitude to you, because I'm very sure I would not have been able to do it without you. And I thank you for letting me take care of the topics of our thread.

Truly a very outward and princely character that Ayame. The first time we see him, spoiler[he's in his snake form, and Yuki tells Shigure to skin and burn him] Laughing spoiler[He's also a cheap person, when he ordered the Gyoza-teishoku which was the cheapest thing at the restaraunt. And what of his relationship with Shigure?! "Gure-san, you didn't cheat on me, did you?" What is going on here? And always when Yuki has something good to say to Ayame, he likes to announce it to the world, especially Hatori.]
On his serious side, spoiler[he has realized that he made mistakes in his youth, and is usually down about not being able to do anything to change the past. The only thing he can do is try to make up for it, be helpful to his brother, and just be himself. Forgiveness comes at anytime, even from the girl.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

aya_honda, you and I have helped to shape this thread to become what it is now and we have kept the topic of this series alive thanks to this thread. My deepest gratitude to you, because I'm very sure I would not have been able to do it without you. And I thank you for letting me take care of the topics of our thread.

Relax. Embarassed It has been my pleasure. You don't need to thank me: we both love very much Fruits Basket. I think that we are trully Fruits Basketholics and I'm just happy that I found someone else to like this manga as much as I do. As for the topics of the thread, well, you definetly were more inspired than me. Wink Laughing So let's do what we know best: talk over and over again about Fruits Basket. Laughing

I definetly like the way spoiler[Ayame says everything to Hatori. I was so amused when he went to the parents meeting and when Yuki said something nice about him, he just wanted at that moment to announce Hatori and then when Yuki stopped him he said that he will send Hatori an email. I mean, he was just so funny and so great. Laughing ] I think that this respect comes also from the fact that spoiler[Hatori has seen beyond Ayame's superficiality. He is the best one to understand everything, whatever goes through Ayame's head. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote
It's kind of sad that Takaya-sensei wasn't able to bring about the story of how Mine and Ayame met, that would have been one of the interesting flashbacks of the series. spoiler[Not long after Ayame met Mine did he start having feelings for her, but he knew that he couldn't get too close to her for fear of the curse. Mine found her work environment to be an excellent one, making clothes and having a lively and friendly boss to work for. I think that his trying to rekindle the ties to his brother certainly showed her a soft spot in his heart. And when she was calling him Tencho at first, in the end she was calling him "Aya-kun".]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:16 am Reply with quote
I do think that Mine was the one that saw the most in Ayame's soul. spoiler[I remember there was a scene with the two of them when Ayame was crying and she was the one to embrace him and encourage him. I would say that their history together is one of the mysterious stories in the manga. I also think that Mine succeeded in gaining access to Ayame's heart through her innocence and extraordinary ability of being special without showing that to the real world. I liked her character very much because she was one of the most dear ones. I also think that she was able to beat all Ayame's doubts about a relationship that they might have together. Do you remember when he says something like I was born to love you? (I think.... I always translate quite badly from Japanese to English Embarassed )]

EDIT: Wow, page 29 and fighterholic is missing for his longest period of time that I have seen yet on this forum! Shocked Usually by now I would have tried so hard to keep up with the posts. It is indeed Christmas time!
Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
To keep interest alive I'll post something now Wink
Takaya-sensei mentioned that spoiler[Hiro doesn't get along too well with Ayame, too bad that we never got to see that in the manga. That would have been funny to see Hiro try to duke it out with him. Ayame also seems to be inspirational to a lot of people, such as Ritsu and Kakeru. Though Ritsu can never catch up to where Aya has been.]
missyqueen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Well. . .spoiler[If I remember correctly, Kimi was VERY into Ayame. Noahito (sp?) was seemingly affronted by Ayame, and Machi (bless her heart) looked positively exasperated by Ayame.]

About the growth between. . .spoiler[Ayame and the "slug" (luved that one Fighterholic), It is obvious to me that Ayame showed true remorse for his past insensitivity. I'll never forget the flashback to where Ayame and Shigure were remorseless to that poor girl who'd just confessed her feelings. When he (ayame ) heard about her meeting with Yuki he was trying to do everything possible to make up for his insensitivity (the RARE Mogeta ^ ^). Shigure who is seemingly "nice" (ha ha) doesn't really show any remorse (to me )( I did it, it happened, that was the past sort of attitude.) Ayame showed from the BEGININNING that he was trying to bond with Yuki and is trying everything (to Yuki"s horror) to show that he loves his little Bro.]

Curiously. . .spoiler[ I am wondering if Ayame tried "bonding" with Yuki after falling for Mine. In the flashback we see that Ayame, who finally realized what love was, realized how being rejected might feel. In one scene we see a very love hungry Yuki reaching out to big Brother only to get rejected. We know that Ayame admitted that he would have been devastated had Mine rejected his feelings. I think in that instant he realized what Yuki felt like and the pain HE caused someone else made him realize he needed to become a better person. In the scenes between Ayame and Mine by themselves Ayame shows a LOT more depth]

So sorry for such a long post Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
missyqueen wrote:
So sorry for such a long post Embarassed

Oh believe me, your doesn't even compare to other people's posts here at ANN.
I love it how spoiler[with Ayame and SHigure they speak their own language and act like teens when all the other people act more mature than these guys. And what Aya and Shigure both said when they suggested sleeping in the same room:
Ayame - "Gure-san, we'll be up all night."
Shigure - "Aaya, not in front of the children."]

THAT cracks me up. Never fails to please. Laughing
missyqueen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote
Also funny spoiler[is the abject horror and revulsion on Yuki and Kyo's face as well as Tohru's innocent confusion Laughing ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 170