• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - One Year Later

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyrai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
RE: Negima & the school arc

spoiler[They're up to book 15 in Japan if I recall, and it's still the Mahorafest. Although they've moved on from the tournament and are attempting to fix Chao Lingshen's machinations. ]

Still, though, I recall reading about that and going "They're STILL there? Jesus."
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Despite the series' good intentions, splashes of forced sentimentality are inevitable. After all, this is all about coping with personal tragedy, so be prepared for lots of goopy crying moments and grand expressions of unconditional love. If you can't handle emotional openness at that level, feel free to walk away.

Have you noticed the writer of its story? The same person who created Makoto's and Mai's arcs of Kanon, the main plot of AIR and Clannad, and basically the mainstay of Key. Rei Izumi had also drawn a doujin-turned-commercial manga named Kanon & AIR Sky, so I was not surprised when she was chosen to cooperate with Maeda.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
Ok so the site died...i'll have to re-write this:

Awesome intro...for a second I forgot what I was reading.

they didn't coever that in the Negima anime but I guess if its just on volume 15 in japan that they never got to it. Or do they cover some of this in the second version of the anime? Either way its looking like I need to pick this up.

I didn't pick up Train X Train at the store because I thought it had something to do with Train-man. I guess I shouldn't judge books by the spines.

Ever had this problem?
I've picked up Blank several times since I saw it on the shelves. Each time I debate and it always gets put down for another title. After reading this review it made me want to read it so hopefully this time it will make it to the counter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
I don't know whether I should be proud or embarrassed for getting that intro...

Last edited by Kagemusha on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:06 am Reply with quote
I was going to post about Negima, but someone beat me to it.

The fest just ended a little while ago as far as I know. So..... 3 or 4 more volumes of it are on the way.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So, how many volumes have we been on the School Festival arc now?

This makes #4, (volume 9 was the first, albeit an introcution about the week or so before the Festival began) which means we are halfway done at best. I don't follow the Japanese release, but I know it was still going (but it sounded like it was wrapping up) when volume 16 came out in Japan. But while it feels long, it really isn't for a shonen action series. Most shonen action series have a 10+ volume arc at some point (see Naruto, Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin, etc.). It just feels longer with Negima for some reason, possibly due to the quarterly release schedule and the fact that we are constantly reminded that this is all covering a three day (sort of) time period.

dormcat wrote:
Quote:
Despite the series' good intentions, splashes of forced sentimentality are inevitable. After all, this is all about coping with personal tragedy, so be prepared for lots of goopy crying moments and grand expressions of unconditional love. If you can't handle emotional openness at that level, feel free to walk away.

Have you noticed the writer of its story? The same person who created Makoto's and Mai's arcs of Kanon, the main plot of AIR and Clannad, and basically the mainstay of Key. Rei Izumi had also drawn a doujin-turned-commercial manga named Kanon & AIR Sky, so I was not surprised when she was chosen to cooperate with Maeda.

That doesn't suprise me. When I read that, I thought "That sounds like Kanon"

britannicamoore wrote:

they didn't coever that in the Negima anime but I guess if its just on volume 15 in japan that they never got to it. Or do they cover some of this in the second version of the anime? Either way its looking like I need to pick this up.

It's acttually up to Volume 16 in Japan which came out in October. The new Negima anime doesn't cover the manga. It takes the characters and premise and goes its own direction after the first two or three episodes (which is a retake on the Evangeline arc). The first Negima anime covered up to volume 6 of the manga (somewhat, it removed A LOT including at least one major character). You can probably get away with skipping the first three volumes if you wanted, but you should start with volume 4 or you'll be missing a lot.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
Actually the festival just ended in the serialized manga a week ago at chapter 162, two chapters into volume 18. (Although they're still finishing up a few loose ends, it's now the morning after the 3rd day of the festival (and that one plot device is gone).)
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
Wasn't part of the point that spoiler[Negi and Co. are doing the same 3 days over and over again via Chao's time machine]?
gary leeman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
has it been one year already?
Remember when the Earth was in the same place the last go around?
smoochy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why you bother with World "Manga." Have you ever find any that you really liked?
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
I don't see why you bother with World "Manga." Have you ever find any that you really liked?

Well, I do wish they had a grade, because since he finds pros and cons about the books, I'm never really sure what outweighed what.. if it was overall decent or not. I'm sure he's probably liked a few mentioned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I didn't pick up Train X Train at the store because I thought it had something to do with Train-man. I guess I shouldn't judge books by the spines.

Ever had this problem?

Yeah, for the longest time I though "Dragon Voice" was some ninth-rate fantasy series because it had Dragon in the title. How was I supposed to know it was about boy bands?!

smoochy wrote:
I don't see why you bother with World "Manga."

Because I'm sick of the haters, sick of the posturing, sick of the pseudo-philosophical moral ethical geographical cultural "debates" that surround the whole idea, and there might as well be at least one idiot on this godforsaken internet who's actually willing to judge the works on their own merits.

Quote:
Have you ever find any that you really liked?

Yes.

Last edited by Patachu on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't disagree more with the statement's about Akamatsu's art style, but that's a personal preference thing. Still, I'm surprised that Volume 12 only got a B-. Compared to many series, the festival arc is short. The fanservice may be high but it's been there since the first chapter.

Given the backstory revelations and a number of emotional scenes, the advancement of the story not only in the arc itself but also on the larger scale of Negi's father and what happened to him, Volume 12 has been one of the best volumes of the series in my opinion.

I'm eagerly awaiting Volume 13.

By the by, why doesn't the World "Manga" section have a grade? Do you feel that grading it on the same scale as the other series would be wrong?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And is it just me or did the art [of Blank] suddenly get lazy for a couple of pages near the end?

It's not just you, and in retrospect that's not the only place in that volume that it happens.

Still, I more or less will be saying the same things about Blank when my review of it comes up, and I will be recommending it, too. It's a generally well-made title that anyone who can get into goofy, fan service-laden action series should check out. Don't let the fact that it's not really manga fool you, as this is not one of the untrained hack jobs that Zac was talking about in a recent Answerman column.

And I, too, was annoyed by OMG's recent trend towards splitting story arcs over volumes, but not as much so as I am by Dark Horse consistently delaying the release of new volumes multiple times each time one is due up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I was kinda hoping Red String would get reviewed in WMotM, I am not surprised it didn't but it's one of my favourite webcomics and I was really happy when it got licenced by Dark Horse. I am a fan of Gina Biggs's artwork, and I think it is a really good little comic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2