• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isaac Asimov's The Foundation Sci-Fi Novels Get Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
That's really cool to see. I would really love to see these manga get translate into English for people that don't like reading book but love manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
That's awesome especially since I have the trilogy on my nightstand to be read after I finish my current book.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Now, that's really interesting. I'd love to see something like that for Asimov's robot novels as well.
_V_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They feared him and obeyed him and, perhaps, even respected him - from a goodly distance. But who could look at him without contempt? Only those he had Converted. And of what value was their artificial loyalty? It lacked flavor. He might have adopted titles, and enforced ritual and invented elaborations, but even that would have changed nothing. Better - or at least, no worse - to be simply the First Citizen, and to hide himself.

There was a sudden surge of rebellion within him--strong and brutal. Not a portion of the Galaxy must be denied him. For five years he had remained silent and buried here on Kalgan because of the eternal, misty, space-ridden menace of the unseen, unheard, unknown Second Foundation. He was thirty-two. Not old--but he felt old. His body, whatever its mutant mental powers, was physically weak.

Every star! Every star he could see--and every star he couldn't see. It must all be his!

Revenge on all. On a humanity of which he wasn't a part. On a Galaxy in which he didn't fit.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
My mom was an Asimov fan. She would've loved to see it.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Just as Hari Seldon predicted...

But seriously, I love Foundation. I'd love to see this translated. But I'm sure it would be a heck of a hard sell to English audiences.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Hope they don't ruin it.
ajr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm stalled in the...second book? It's interesting, though, so maybe it's just a slow spot. I hear there's interest in making a Foundation movie, no idea how they'd pull that off.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
This sounds really interesting. Now if only it would get an anime...
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
This sounds really interesting. Now if only it would get an anime...

Same here. I loved the Foundation ever since I was a kid, and I'd love to see animated versions of a lot of my favorite sci-fi novels.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
Asimov has been my favourite author for a considerable number of years. Took me a couple of tries to start into the first Foundation novel approximately twenty-five years ago, but was really glad I persevered. I really enjoyed the Foundation series, and especially liked how he tied it into his Robot and Empire series. It will be interesting to see if the manga will focus primarily on the initial trilogy, or if it encompasses all of the novels in the series. Would love to read the manga version.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:01 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Quote:
They feared him and obeyed him and, perhaps, even respected him - from a goodly distance. But who could look at him without contempt? Only those he had Converted. And of what value was their artificial loyalty? It lacked flavor. He might have adopted titles, and enforced ritual and invented elaborations, but even that would have changed nothing. Better - or at least, no worse - to be simply the First Citizen, and to hide himself.

There was a sudden surge of rebellion within him--strong and brutal. Not a portion of the Galaxy must be denied him. For five years he had remained silent and buried here on Kalgan because of the eternal, misty, space-ridden menace of the unseen, unheard, unknown Second Foundation. He was thirty-two. Not old--but he felt old. His body, whatever its mutant mental powers, was physically weak.

Every star! Every star he could see--and every star he couldn't see. It must all be his!

Revenge on all. On a humanity of which he wasn't a part. On a Galaxy in which he didn't fit.

The Mule. Oh I remember him.

The premise of the future being mathematically predictable, given sufficient data and the tools to interpret it, and the basic unpredictability of individuals - such as the Mule.

That was fodder for my early geek mind in Junior High and High School. I read everything thing Asimov that the Public School Libraries had, the City Library and the University's Library. His essays and books on non-SF topics were a wonder and a hoot. The man had a fine sense of humor.

Lost to AIDS contracted from heart surgery blood transfusions before effective screening was established.

Mark Gosdin
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
Interesting, I've never read the books but Ill be sure to check this out.
Helius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
I hear there's interest in making a Foundation movie, no idea how they'd pull that off.

Ridley Scott was at one point attached to turn it into a feature, but that didn't pan out... and he went on to do Prometheus instead... Confused
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Well this is exciting news! I didn't read The Foundation trilogy until a few years ago when I bought the Barnes and Noble leather-bound edition. I'm really interested to see how they do The Mule.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2