• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TAF 2007: Satelite Works With French Animators on Valerian Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushwack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I hope they do it justice. It's a great comic.
I've read World without Stars and Ambassador of the Shadows.

I was wondering when they where going to tap into the european comic material.

I hope they do some Jean Giraud (aka Moebius)
hara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I thought they dropped that work because the anime series has been already announced a long time ago.
Satelight has produced some interesting anime so far (I loved Noein) so I am looking forward to that.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Satelight is definitely one of the studios that has consistently produced high-quality work (and yet doesn't get talked about very often, for some weird reason). Their work on Arjuna was incredible.

With the name Jean-Claude Mézières involved, this seems like a win-win situation. No worries here about the animation quality; let's just hope the integrity of the comic remains intact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quote
Awhile ago there was a report on a Valerian anime, and the preproduction art for that was, frankly, underwhelming. The characters looked nothing like their bande dessine counterparts. Here's hoping they look much closer this time around.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:09 am Reply with quote
It's not the first French/Japanese co-production by any means. Remember Ulysses 31?
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quote
Don't forget The Mysterious Cities of Gold, not to mention Oban Star-Racers (some of you HAVE seen the latter, right?).
Guilhem

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quote
Being around since something like 40 years (at least in France...) it was about damn time we can see an anime of this (classical for me) comic series

Can't wait to watch the first ep on France3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:01 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Don't forget The Mysterious Cities of Gold, not to mention Oban Star-Racers (some of you HAVE seen the latter, right?).

Wanted to, didn't get the channel.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Satelight is definitely one of the studios that has consistently produced high-quality work (and yet doesn't get talked about very often, for some weird reason). Their work on Arjuna was incredible.

I'm a huge Satelight fan and also wonder why their series don't seem to do that well the States.

Heat Guy J is an amazing series with one of the best OSTs out there. I love the ensemble, especially when the sub-characters appear more frequently in the later half of the series.

Geneshaft gets some pretty low ratings on ANN. I wish there were more SF series that are not mecha (more than 1 or two giant robots) out there. Geneshaft is up there along with Stellvia, Starship Operators, Infinite Ryvius, and all of those other really cool SF series but seems to get less mention.

The only series by them that is getting any attention is Noein. I'm really glad that this series is doing well, and maybe this interest will get people into watching Kazuki Akane's previous work Heat Guy J which he also created and directed.

Satelight's CG seems a bit different from many other studios CG. I'm not sure if it is due to how they use it to render nicely shaded backgrounds or if they actually use different software. I really enjoy their CG and find that it blends very well with their 2D animation, especially in Noein.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
OK, I found the previous article, which was posted in ANN way back in May last year.

Other links:
Thread discussion for original thread
Series blog (some character and ship designs posted)
Images of Laureline (contrast these with the design in the Blog.)

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1