• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Initial D - where to buy?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IamJustinRyanEmery

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I discovered this show on Netflix and want to buy...what is the best version to buy? The most accurate to the original? Is it available on Blue ray? Any place to get Stage 5?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
This really isn't the right place to post this topic. Confused

But anyways, in this day and age, the best you're gonna get are the three S.A.V.E. collections that FUNimation put out. You can find them here:

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/facetedSearch/?search=initial%20d#/?s=initial%20d&o=10&r=STORE_CATEGORIES:DVD

It is not available on bluray, neither here, nor in Japan. The only Initial D related thing you'll find on bluray is the live-action film from Tai Seng, but it is now out of print.

And don't get your hopes up for Stage 5 coming to the U.S. The original show sold pretty bad for FUNi, and I doubt they'd be interested in bringing over the next season just for it to flop as well.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote
IamJustinRyanEmery wrote:
I discovered this show on Netflix and want to buy...what is the best version to buy? The most accurate to the original? Is it available on Blue ray? Any place to get Stage 5?

I think the best version to buy is the one that you want/the one that suits your budget the best. I thoroughly enjoyed the first season of this in 2007 with this set from Funi Initial D: First Stage - The Complete First Season. I've since picked up their various S.A.V.E. editions from TRSI (Funi's older all paper/flimsy cardboard case releases suck).

I don't think it's a show that even warrants a blu-ray release seeing how butt ugly it is with the CGI and all. Dvd is more than fine. Just my two cents.

As for the availability of the show in the Region A blu-ray format, yes that option is there. BUT it is an expensive one (as in 600+ US Dollars expensive if you buy both of 'em). For 2014 in Japan, Two BLU-RAY Box Sets will be released:
頭文字[イニシャル]D COMPLETE BD-BOX Vol.1 (Blu-ray) <-- Includes 1st Stage (26 eps) & 2nd Stage (13 eps)

頭文字[イニシャル]D COMPLETE BD-BOX Vol.2 (Blu-ray)
<-- Includes 3rd Stage (The Movie), 4th Stage (24 eps) Extra Stage (4 eps) and more...
^NOTE - I don't see anything in those product descriptions that indicates that there is an English dub or Subtitle option included.^

As for what else that's already available in Region 1/North America you can find it here at:
The Anime News Network Initial D (TV) Encyclopedia Page. <---There are additional links to sites that have the show for sale. Good luck!
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
Best version is always the JP BD but you gotta really like the show. And for this one like really REALLY. You may want to stick to an affordable option.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1