• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Xbox One Slated for September 4 in Japan With 48 Game Makers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
And so it begins.....CANT WAIT!
GiriOni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Knowing the Xbox market in Japan... like its title it will sell one console.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I have no hope for the Xbox One in Japan, Western systems don't sell well in Japan for obvious reasons, not to mention the console market is dying in Japan with mobile and browser gaming taking over and handhelds staying strong despite the takeover of the gaming market.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I have no hope for the Xbox One in Japan, Western systems don't sell well in Japan for obvious reasons, not to mention the console market is dying in Japan with mobile and browser gaming taking over and handhelds staying strong despite the takeover of the gaming market.

And let's not the forget the tax hike, the PS4 sales in Japan face a huge decline after the tax hikes. So I expect Xbox One to sell badly over there.

Well good luck, despite this console may not do well in Japan like the 360.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh good, the Weekly Video Game Sales Updates could use another row where the system regularly sells less than 1k a week.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

And let's not the forget the tax hike, the PS4 sales in Japan face a huge decline after the tax hikes. So I expect Xbox One to sell badly over there.

Well good luck, despite this console may not do well in Japan like the 360.

I already suffered the sticker shock when I went in and bought a couple of PS classics off the Japanese PSN this evening.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
Congratulations to these guys:
1) Western (US?) expatriates with overwhelming loyalty toward Western brand,
2) Japanese gamers with, er, Western taste/preference (y'all seriously think they don't exist??),
3) Japanese gamers who're after those XBox One exclusive games,
4) Japanese gamers who buy XBox One because... heck, it's what they want,
5) Other buyers of XBox One in Japan for other reasons I can't think of right now.

Ignore those cynical "Bah, XBox One will bomb there! Who the hell are gonna buy it? Microsoft never learns!" dudes out there. Ignore all those console/handheld war between fanboys out there.

Save some money, and when September comes, enjoy your shiny XBox One, enjoy your games. Happy playing. Smile
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
Well, good luck to Microsoft selling even just 1,000 units of the Xbox One in Japan. If I correctly recall, the Xbox One didn't have a good reception from Japanese onlookers upon its announcement.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
if square enix is releasing games for them where are the final fantasies?

I really have to question their competence.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
if square enix is releasing games for them where are the final fantasies?

I really have to question their competence.
Huh?

Final Fantasy XV is announced for the Xbone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Jave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
Now how many of these are exclusives and not just multiplatform stuff I wonder Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
I don't think anything Microsoft could do in Japan would matter. Early on, they already tried Japan-targeted exclusive games for the 360, and that didn't help much. Heck, the 360 was a lot cheaper than the PS3 at the start, but price difference didn't matter either (albeit the expensive PS3 launch didn't do that well too). So most of those 48 game makers will likely be multi-platform anyway.

(Same reasons Valve's upcoming Steam Machines won't sell in Japan neither, even though Steam already has many Japanese games.)

L'Imperatore wrote:

5) Other buyers of XBox One in Japan for other reasons I can't think of right now.

Online multi-players

And oh Titanfall - it was the most popular demo at 2013 Tokyo Game Show. But most attendees won't buy XB1 only for it. Besides, the inevitable Titanfall 2 won't be Microsoft-exclusive.

But beyond those, XB1 would be only for the hardcores, like PS Vita has become for in the West. (So they'll know how Western PS Vita players feel.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1