• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nobunagun

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I actually kinda like the humor of this series especially in the beginning. Overall though, it wasn't something that I'll remember for a long time by. I did like the final episode and the way Jack was portrayed as a character throughout the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
This show was pure fun. Simple and to the point 100% fun.
A HUGE bonus for them having a twist about Jack the ripper that came out of nowhere, and was explained perfectly. Seriously, when they first mentioned it I was like "this is total bullshit". Then, next episode they explained it and I was "Huh, that does make sense... it could happen".
Also... that final scene: HELL YEAH!!!!
Shory

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
The show is fun, but to rate the art B- and the story B+ is stretching it. A lot. Also the main character had a really bad voice, but all the other voice actors were great. It felt a little weird because of the gap in voice acting skill. Perhaps her voice just didn't do the trick for me. Overall, I don't agree with the ratings, but I don't think Nobunagun's bad. Just not something I'd buy.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I haven't finished watching this yet. I left off on episode 8.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I wish the show had an actual plot. In 13 episodes, not a single thing happened that had any real impact, they more or less just dragged on from mission to mission. Also, the art was terrible. There may have been some great animation, but it was really hard to tell with everything being drowned in dark reds and blues. On a positive note, I liked the quirky humor.
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
About half-way through this show, I stopped caring about the Aliens-and-Super-Powers plot and really just wanted a whacky romcom starring Nobunagun-chan and Jack the Ripper-sempai.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
This was the one show I came in expecting it to be really boring and bad, but was actually pretty good.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I enjoyed this series because it had an interesting plot and the action was cool. I absolutely HATED the design work though. Horrible. The action costumes? I wouldn't accept a Nobel prize in one of those, even if it were conditional. What was with those chin straps? And the weapon designs? Blah, they were all just a confused mess. Ugh,my eyes bled, but the show was still worth it.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
them having a twist about Jack the ripper that came out of nowhere, and was explained perfectly. Seriously, when they first mentioned it I was like "this is total bullshit". Then, next episode they explained it and I was "Huh, that does make sense... it could happen".

Haha its funny I was thinking the same thing. When the series first started it was weird spoiler[that it was okay to have have male historical figures come back as guys, and male historical figures to come back as girls. I was like, "what? Its okay to turn guys into girls but not girls into guys?" Then it pulled the Jack the Ripper twist.] Gotta hand it to ya Nobunagun writers, ya got me with that lol
Suena

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
While I did think the plot was rather bland and generic, this was the first series in a long time that had a female lead who I REALLY, REALLY, liked.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
It was pretty good but overall forgettable, outside of the opening song I don't think I'll remember any of it in a year or two, it's gonna be weird if they do make a second season, I'll have a weird deja vu feeling.

The color paler used during fight was interesting but kinda wish they went further with it, like in Madoka witch realm.

The mid portion was pretty boring, almost stopped watching, but I'm glad I sticked with it the last 4 episode were great.

The lead was okay in her normal self, but nobunagun version was awesome, would have loved if that personality sticked even outside combat, but has it was most of the non combat portion was just the MC being super shy and flustered, so meh. I'm not crazy about them dropping bunch of yuri hint without doing anything, I'm perfectly fine with either it being Yuri or straight, I just don't like it when they try to have it both way and then just ignore it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
It was super fun, use of style was something it accomplished at, and Sio was cool.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:03 am Reply with quote
Funnily enough, Nobunagun reminds me of Pacific Rim. Both are really generic and super-dumb alien invasion stories, no question about it. But at the same time both titles are also huge fun that appeal to the inner nine-year-olds in us.
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
This was my surprise of the last season for enjoyment, as others have already noted, including the reviewer, this series has a fairly formulaic premise, but the execution and the characters made it sing for me. I really LOVED Sio's character in all her aspects, I found her a very refreshing change from so many female leads in similar types of stories. A outsider because of her military otaku nature, insecure, and very very human, despite as it turned out having a rather atypical basis for her military focusspoiler[ from within her genetic code.] A girl still finding herself while suddenly becoming on of the few military resources to save the world who doesn't just suddenly turn into supergirl nor a completely whiny scared character, but instead developed in what I found a truly plausible manner. As to the comment someone made about the yuri aspects being teased at, it did not read that way to me, her feelings for her friend felt far more like the devotion someone who is used to feeling alone can develop towards the person who first becomes their real friend and cares about their existence, you cannot underestimate just how powerful an emotion and focus that can be, and that is how that relationship read to me, not as yuri at all.

As to another aspect of this series, I was very happy to have the basis for the e-gene powers explained in a rational and easy to buy into manner, instead of something that requires me to make large leaps of faith into suspension of disbelief land. Mind you the way used is a fairly old trope in SF these days,, but still, it helped lay a good groundwork for me.

I i loved the way Jack's character was developed along with Sio's, the twist revelation made sense within their ficton (a term Robert Heinlein came up with, fictional universe when he went multi-verse with his body of work, a term I find useful but define her because I don't know how well it is known), and overall I was very pleased with the way you could see both the historical characters and their present day personalities within our mains and secondaries. This series really surprised me by being as fun as it was, and even more so by not forcing me to surrender my suspension of disbelief to go on the rise, something I really appreciated. So overall I would have to agree with the review as given (with the exception of the art aspect (that is one area where I know I am not well suited to rate, alas while I can appreciate visuals my ability to really discuss their nuances is not the best, I am much better with the rest of the components than that one), and recommend this series as a fun ride with one of the most plausible female leads I have seen in a while. Yes, I REALLY liked Sio!
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree that anything yuri between Sio/Asao was never even teased; trying to see anything there is just wishful thinking. I thought that functioned really great as a genuine friendship.

Now, Cyx with Geronimo, that's a different story. Cyx pretty indisputably leans "that way." Didn't see any clear evidence about whether or not Geronimo reciprocates, but she clearly at least tolerates Cyx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2