• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oishinbo Manga Goes on Hiatus After Fukushima Controversy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't know enough about the Fukushima incident or its aftermath and the controversy to really comment about it, but something about an author having to apologize about a story he based on his own personal experience doesn't seem right.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
This is very interesting. I get the impression that manga sometimes avoids difficult topics because of the controversy they can stir. It was daring (foolhardy?) of the publishers to go ahead with that chapter.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
If you don't talk about something, it's as if it never happened...
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
If you don't talk about something, it's as if it never happened...

Japan likes to do those things on many controversy subjects.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:

This is very interesting. I get the impression that manga sometimes avoids difficult topics because of the controversy they can stir. It was daring (foolhardy?) of the publishers to go ahead with that chapter.

They don't like controversy.** They tend to avoid taking a controversial stand and standing their ground after taking it. That's why they don't do many current events issues. Hayao Miyazaki is atypical.

[** Controversy within their own society. Something can be controversial outside of Japanese society --like nationalists-- that doesn't count as controversy.]
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:12 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I don't know enough about the Fukushima incident or its aftermath and the controversy to really comment about it

I guarantee no one here does, but that's not going to stop the usual suspects from making sweeping generalizations about it and the country ad-nauseam like they're self proclaimed experts on the subject Rolling Eyes

Quote:
but something about an author having to apologize about a story he based on his own personal experience doesn't seem right.

Slander, more or less.

Quote:
The town of Futaba-machi wrote an official complaint, stating that there was no truth to the claim that "lots of people suffer from nosebleeds and other symptoms" and that the manga was damaging the image of Fukushima that they were trying hard to rebuild. The complaint notes that ever since the manga came out, there have been cancellations of visits and product orders and that Fukushima residents were afraid that the manga was cultivating discrimination against the prefecture and its residents.

I guess it'd be like some talk show host saying all American Airlines flights are unsafe because they get hijacked by terrorists following 9/11 so American Airlines get's pissed off because it loses them business.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
I live in Fukushima and have never heard of anyone having nosebleeds in the three years since the accident.

IIRC it would take a pretty massive dose of radiation to cause any visually apparent symptoms... anyone who got nosebleeds at the plant probably got them from stress and dry air.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1