• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Police Arrest Man Who Threatens Woman Because of Touhou Project Voice-Over

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh Japan!
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
If every single human on the planet would facepalm at this man... it still wouldn't be enough facepalms.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Why is it always the seiyuu and idol otaku who do this nonsense? They are so unpleasable and unreasonable. You don't hear of or see any other types of Otaku pulling this kind of crap, they just enjoy their obsessions and be happy.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Why is it always the seiyuu and idol otaku who do this nonsense? They are so unpleasable and unreasonable. You don't hear of or see any other types of Otaku pulling this kind of crap, they just enjoy their obsessions and be happy.
What other kinds of otaku exist? Outside of anime musicians and seiyuu there isn't really anything TO attack. Threats on authors and producers? Been done. To be fair she isn't even really a seiyuu. Seems to me that he was mad that she didn't fit the his precious character
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

seiyuu otaku are different than idol otaku generally. sure there are overlaps but most people don't have the money or attention span to keep track of two intense hobbies.

this person is probably more a touhou guy though.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
What other kinds of otaku exist? Outside of anime musicians and seiyuu there isn't really anything TO attack. Threats on authors and producers? Been done. To be fair she isn't even really a seiyuu. Seems to me that he was mad that she didn't fit the his precious character

Some other types of Otaku that exist in Japan
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
What other kinds of otaku exist?

Pretty much anything a person can be a fan of has an otaku following in Japan. Game otaku, gun otaku, WWII otaku, light novel otaku, train otaku, figure otaku, technology otaku, pachinko otaku, and the list goes on. They all have their fair share of lunatics as well. Go watch Otaku no Video or Genshiken.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
TL;DR he got upset about his precious waifu. Ugh. I hope the woman gets some protection, in case there are other loons who agreed with him.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
>Divine punishment over a cartoon character's voice

Well, I've heard crazies like Anjem Choudary, Pat Robertson, Chaim Ben Pesach and many more, but this over a cartoon? REALLY? Damn!
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

Part of it has to due with the nature that it is focused on a real human being acting in a performance where the masses of fans are often enough the stereotypical "we enjoy 2d girls over 3d" and have a culture that demands young unmarried woman to ALWAYS be some sort of chaste paragon that solely exist to eventually be married and have children, top it off with untreated mental issues and you have your outbursts from "fans" that tell a women they have never met they are going to commit an act of murder against the woman for the crime of voicing a Touhou character.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Part of it has to due with the nature that it is focused on a real human being acting in a performance where the masses of fans are often enough the stereotypical "we enjoy 2d girls over 3d" and have a culture that demands young unmarried woman to ALWAYS be some sort of chaste paragon that solely exist to eventually be married and have children, top it off with untreated mental issues and you have your outbursts from "fans" that tell a women they have never met they are going to commit an act of murder against the woman for the crime of voicing a Touhou character.

That's just sad through and through, as for the cultural issue, the age of women being yamato nadeshiko is pretty much over with women entering the workplace in Japan and hardly anyone getting married. as for me, I've never seen the appeal of purity at all when it comes to attractiveness and relationships, 2D or not, if they look good and have the personality I want then they are attractive.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

I think if Japan accepted their otaku, the more, um, enthusiastic ones wouldn't be quite as driven to acts of desperation on their own, or think they were operating "off the radar" within their own fandom.
Not this nut, of course, just saying that's how more nuts happen.
Seiru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow what the man did was,without a doubt,stupid.No not even that can sum it up.Just because this lady did a voice over he went and threatened her and also gave out her name online?Wonder if he also gave out even more personal information that the police couldn't catch.That is too sad since she might have done it for the fun of it and in return she got threatened and maybe even targeted.Ah,I just hope she will be ok and I hope that man gets his own punishment.
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Isn't 2Channel supposedly anonymous? I'm curious how the police managed to find the man just from there?
MajinSaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
CatzCradle wrote:
Isn't 2Channel supposedly anonymous? I'm curious how the police managed to find the man just from there?

Because he wasn't hiding behind seven proxies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2