• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - ESPer Mami: Hoshizora no Dancing Doll

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But few Westerners know of Fujiko F. Fujio's popular magical girl series, ESPer Mami.

It aired in Europe in the early 90s.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
IKKIsama wrote:
Quote:
But few Westerners know of Fujiko F. Fujio's popular magical girl series, ESPer Mami.

It aired in Europe in the early 90s.

I, literally paragraphs later, wrote:
although it aired dubbed in various European countries in the early 90s

Thank you for reading! Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I've heard of it before, but I've had no inclination to go about watching it.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I've seen this too, and as I started reading the article I realized that it had zero impact on me and I couldn't remember much about the plot. So, a similar experience to you. It would be fun to see what you recall of this movie in 6 months.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I've seen it too, while not the greatest of movies, I thought it was a good sample of this series.

alot of magical girl fans are pretty hesitant about trying out Esper Mami because of the nude modeling thing (I mean, just google image search her and thats about all you get) so I pretty much had no idea what Mami's personality was or anything.

so when I found out this movie was subbed I was excited to try it out.
I liked the amount of heart Mami had when it came to helping people and felt sad she's become that 80s magical girl no one likes to talk about

also Esper Mami has a pretty darn catchy opening
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
alot of magical girl fans are pretty hesitant about trying out Esper Mami because of the nude modeling thing (I mean, just google image search her and thats about all you get) so I pretty much had no idea what Mami's personality was or anything.

I liked the amount of heart Mami had when it came to helping people and felt sad she's become that 80s magical girl no one likes to talk about

Dang, how about that nudity. It's a shame her Wolverine hairstyle and big kid-manga-from-the-60s eyes are kind of ugly, it would have been great if all that nudity was moved over to adult form Creamy Mami. I think her plain looks may be what kept people away compared Emi and Mami.

I'd also think the ONE HUNDRED AND NINETEEN EPISODES is kind of a barrier to entry. That's longer than LoGH, and yet you constantly hear people bitch about that show's length despite each episode being important and packed with discussions, battles, and plotting.

Hey Justin, question, what programs do you use for video file playback on Mac? And for some more suggestion on quick watches, Tezuka's Amefuri Kazou just got subbed, and you should check out the Pierrot Magical Girl Quartet OVA, since I doubt AnimeSols will ever get that.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
For some reason this series has always interested me, but I've yet to check it out. The nudity google images showed is rather surprising, especially for a series that old, especially for a shonen series. As for a release, apparently Frontier Works released a dvd set that's out of print.
http://www.yesasia.com/us/esper-mami-dvd-box-part-1-limited-edition-japan-version/1004193993-0-0-0-en/info.html
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I've seen it too, while not the greatest of movies, I thought it was a good sample of this series.

also Esper Mami has a pretty darn catchy opening
Google image comment: Confirmed. Definitely creepy when you consider it was her Father who asked her to do so.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote
This reply is going to be somewhat long, because apparently the author of this article didn't do their research very well, (or at all).

There was a two-part DVD box set of ESPer Mami released in Japan. The first part went on sale August 4, 2006, while the second part went on sale December 8, 2006.

The DVDs were then released as individual volumes for both rental and sales.

Volumes 1-5: 11/21/2007
Volumes 6-10: 12/21/2007
Volumes 11-15: 1/25/2008
Volumes 16-20: 2/22/2008

The only problem with the DVD releases were that the discs in the first part of the box set, and the individual volumes of Volumes 1-10 were released (much to the dismay of Japanese fans) without the next episode previews due to that footage not being available at the time of the initial digital mastering.

The Japanese publishers released the second DVD-box set with the previews for those episodes, and later included the previews for the first box set as part of the (rare) two-disc "ESPer Mami Special DVD" that only people who bought both box sets and sent in the included form from both of them could get.

The "Special DVD" also included the pilot film, creditless versions of all the openings and endings, commercials that were used to advertise the series ("The New series, ESPer Mami, starts April 7, at 7PM!"), an "ESPer Mami Special Bridge Anime" that was both a Christmas special and had Mami giving the first sneak peek of the then new Doraemon movie, "Nobita and the Birth of Japan", and a "tribute video" featuring a 21st century remade version of the first opening theme and a new song called "E.S.P. Thanks to Mami-chan".

As for the previews, apparently the footage for the previews of episodes 25, 27, and 28 was destroyed and even on the special DVD, only the audio of those previews is included:

There is also currently a group that started fansubbing this series in May, and plans to release the first five episodes sometime in August.

The movie that the article is reviewing was actually released on VHS and laser disc, which is the "something better" that the fansub used as a raw. It has not been released on DVD, though, for unknown reasons.

Most of this information is easily obtainable from the two links to the "official websites" that are listed on ANN's very own page for the series here as well as the largest ESPer Mami fansite: Mami Web.

In the future, please do a little more research before writing Very Happy
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
As an update to my previous post, Frontier Works is releasing a new 25th anniversary edition box set of ESPer Mami on October 29, 2014. It fixes the problems from the previous 2006/2007 box set, ie. no episode previews on the first half of the set. It also includes the first DVD release of the movie in the title of this post, Hoshizora no Dancing Doll.

Source: Frontier Works ESPer Mami Special DVD site
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1