• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Teenage Party Weekend

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
There have been rare instances when a disc release had more censoring than the broadcast version, latest Nisekoi. Whether by goof-up or intentionally, the debate is still up...
BlueThunder06

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
I am vaguely aware of Manga Entertainment in the UK, mainly because I have found that some titles that are released by Aniplex of America are licensed to Manga UK. These releases obviously tend to be much cheaper than the AoA releases in North America, even after taking into account exchange rates and shipping charges from the UK.

That being said, I am not sure how the quality of those releases compare to that of AoA. I have only picked up two of Manga UK's releases of Aniplex titles (Sword Art Online and Blue Exorcist), but that was just because I really wanted the DVDs but didn't want to pay the exorbitant prices.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Totally was one of those people who imported Tatami Galaxy from AUS. Worth it.
scowler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Naoki Urasawa's Monster anime adaptation is another one available in Australia but not in the USA. (Viz, please fix this. Pretty please?)
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
scowler wrote:
Naoki Urasawa's Monster anime adaptation is another one available in Australia but not in the USA. (Viz, please fix this. Pretty please?)

Add Dennou Coil to the list of Australian exclusives. That show is a rare gem.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
BlueThunder06 wrote:
I am vaguely aware of Manga Entertainment in the UK, mainly because I have found that some titles that are released by Aniplex of America are licensed to Manga UK. These releases obviously tend to be much cheaper than the AoA releases in North America, even after taking into account exchange rates and shipping charges from the UK.

That being said, I am not sure how the quality of those releases compare to that of AoA. I have only picked up two of Manga UK's releases of Aniplex titles (Sword Art Online and Blue Exorcist), but that was just because I really wanted the DVDs but didn't want to pay the exorbitant prices.

Speaking as a UK fan, the more hardcore of the fandom tend to prefer Aniplex of America's releases. Namely because while AoA offer North America limited editions with posters, soundtracks and all that stuff, the UK doesn't get it. For the vast majority of the UK releases, it's basically just discs in a case. That's why I imported Aniplex of America's Puella Magi Madoka Magica limited edition volumes - because I wanted the snazzy extras.
There was a big thing made about how MVM Entertainment's UK release of Fate/Zero was in a chipboard box that contained both parts. Y'know, the thing that pretty much every distributor in America does.

It's true that we are getting series' like Fate/Zero and the Monogatari franchise at a much cheaper price than North America but in exchange, we lose all physical extras and the release usually happens months after the North American one.

Also, despite us not getting the extras, we usually get tied with the same number of volumes as the North American releases. Exceptions include Puella Magi Madoka Magica (which was a single complete collection) and the upcoming Kill la Kill release is currently slated to be 3 volumes instead of 5 (although that is subject to change).

In regards to my own personal shopping habits, 92.44% of my DVD collection are UK releases (6.8% American and 0.85% Japanese). Since I've had more money and awareness of releases in different territories though, with the onset of blu-ray those percentages have changed to 56.25% for UK releases, with 39.58% being American and 4.17% being Japanese. If that doesn't say anything about UK releases compared to other territories, then...

(Also, the person who asked the question mentioned how Australia tends to rely on releases in the UK. Actually, it's more the other way around).
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I feel the same way at times about Sakura-Con. There have been 17 so far, and I have only missed one. I sometimes wonder on Saturday how so many fit into the Convention Center in Seattle, but they do. As well, I totally sympathize with the whole exhaustion thing. Above all, even though it is not the biggest or attracts the biggest announcements or premieres, it is the one I go to year after year.
FujoshiFeminist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Wait, that last guy sounds a LOT like the guy who had the terrible, terrible panel on Objectification in Anime, Manga, and Visual Novels (which was all about how fanservice hurts TEH MEN) at Sakuracon a couple months ago. Like, that's similar to some of his points that he made, and he talked a lot like how that was written. Hmmmm....
kanechin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I hate when ecchi anime air censored but I hate dlc more so I deal with it since they do air some of them fully uncensored with the only benefit of buying the BDs being some animation corrections/enhancements and specials.....but if kantai airs censored I will flip.
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I have the Australian Siren Visual release of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai and a UK release of Perfect Blue. Kai was definitely worth the purchase, as I'm pretty sure that's the only release it's ever had or will likely see.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
scowler wrote:

Viz let their license expire, so our pleas should probably be directed toward Funimation or Sentai for a rescue.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
hmm.. I don't find KnJ and ImoCho "very erotic". Titillating due to the subject matter, plus humorous in the case of ImoCho, but not really erotic per se. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK ImoCho BDs showed absolutely nothing underneath the big censoring graphics used for the broadcast. I haven't watched them (I'm waiting for all BDs), but from snippets I've seen, there's no nudity and no change in the scenes whatsoever, which is pretty disappointing. I wonder if this has contributed to its low sales so far (1,367 BDs avg sold per vol, 1 - 3)

IMO there's a lot that's much more erotic out there. Qwaser, Manyuu Hickenchou, Yosuga no Sora, DxD, TLRD, Queen's Blade, OniAi, Dragonar, just off the top of my head.. and anyone remember Fujiko in Lupin III Fujiko Mine, which aired uncensored?

Coming back to what Justin mentioned, I don't think that many otaku in Japan really bother with the broadcast of censored shows if they're intent on buying it (I certainly don't). DVR storage is limited and there's a ton of shows to record! If they can't afford $400+ for a cour, they'll still get the figures, VN, manga, etc. And many ecchi series have pretty low home video sales.

Regarding overseas licensing, I definitely appreciate the price and selection in the US, I love NISA's and some of Aniplex's releases for the high end items, but I noticed France and/or Germany have it better sometimes. They seem to get some titles much faster. And Germany seems to be the only country actively licensing hentai now
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I would kind of hope Funimation would retouch some of their streaming subtitles for home video.
Exhibits 1, 2, 3 and 4.

As an Australian resident, I actually mostly deal in US imports from RightStuf. The largest portion of my collection is Madman titles, but it's often cheaper or easier to import. I like our local distributors and do try and support them. If there's a series I want and there's nothing superior about other-region releases as far as I can tell, I'll grab them locally, even if it's a bit more expensive in the end, but when it comes to NISA's releases, let's just say I'm glad I have a region-free Blu-ray player. I'll a little pay more for the same, but not for inferior. (Tying into this, I really like that Siren Visual in particular goes for the good unlicensed series, but really wish they could get the native-HD shows on Blu-ray.)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
scowler wrote:

A very rare gem indeed that a-lot more people need to see. Also it's worth noting that Australia has Higurashi seasons 1-2, Nichijou, Karin "Chibi Vampire", and Chihayafuru as well. This is why I highly suggest investing in a region free DVD player with hdmi output.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
scowler wrote:

A very rare gem indeed that a-lot more people need to see. Also it's worth noting that Australia has Higurashi seasons 1-2, Nichijou, Karin "Chibi Vampire", and Chihayafuru as well. This is why I highly suggest investing in a region free DVD player with hdmi output.

The US has Higurashi and Karin.

The one that people don't mention is Gosick. It was licensed for the US and then for some reason dropped. I believe its available from Madman.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3