• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2014 Anime Preview Guide - Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA 2wei!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
I guess this will please the otaku fanbase of loli magical girls very much. especially those that are die hard fanatics of Pretty Sammy considering like that series , this one is mainly here to milk off money off those otaku fanbase by using the popular FSN characters (rin and illya ). At least until the new FSN comes around.

at least we should be glad no one have tried this spinoff cycle of " using popular characters from a series and turn them into magical girl spinoffs just to please the uber otaku community " with FMA's Nina Tucker or Hughes daughter.

that would be a serious mess and a half. brrrrrrrr!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I guess this will please the otaku fanbase of loli magical girls very much.

You would guess wrong.
It's more like the same Fate/ stuff thinly veiled in magical girl wrapping than anything actually magical-girl.
And not even the loli scenes make it relevant to most loli fans.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:33 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
I guess this will please the otaku fanbase of loli magical girls very much.

You would guess wrong.
It's more like the same Fate/ stuff thinly veiled in magical girl wrapping than anything actually magical-girl.
And not even the loli scenes make it relevant to most loli fans.

Actually it does. it was the main MO for the guys that did tenchi muyo to create a magical girl series for Sasami who is the most popular character in that franchise. Even Soultaker's Komugi Nakahara got her own magical girl series since she is highly popular too.

Its the same for this series . Illyasviel have her own magical girl series cause she is also highly popular as well and the main MO for that popularity? hightly numbed loli pandering otakus. sure its also fans of those franchise, but i bet ya that half is those otaku types.

Also its an attempt by their committee's to milk off the popularity of the series as much as they can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote
You seem to miss my point.
The poin is, Prisma Illya is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being a magical girl, that's just a (very thin) disguise on the same Fate/ stuff we all know.
The show shares no more similarity to any magical girls besides them being called magical girls.

Also lolicons rather choose some franchise that isn't - by its origin - a "casual catering" or "A type" franchise. Even with all these loli scenes, the fans are those who remain from TM fans, with hardly any lolicon or magical girl fans.
Pen nomine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
Its actually the best TM story. Everything else spawned from them is terrible.

It certainly has the trappings of a magical girl show, but it certainly isn't really one.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Didn't it start as an independent project? Perhaps even as a doujinshi that went straight?

I guess it's official enough to have a major publisher (Kadokawa) bringing out the manga. There are 11 volumes to the manga so far, and I think there are more coming.

I tend to agree that it's one of the best spin-offs from the Type-Moon universe. Just as with Fate/zero, it may be that others are better able to produce compelling works based on Type-Moon's ideas than the originators were.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1