• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
Sweet! I'll finally get past that infamous eighth episode. ^^;
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:39 am Reply with quote
Don't forget to add that the show already ran on Sci-Fi's Ani-Monday. Don't want people to give Toonami too much undue credit or anything. But at least Toonami won't be speeding things up for the sake of more commercials.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
This seems a little... late.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
That'll be great for the five people who haven't already seen it either streaming, on DVD, or Syfy's Ani-Monday block six years ago. Toonami, really keeping up with the times.

But I guess with this and DBZ Kai, it's all Toonami can do to stay afloat nowadays, outside of new Space Dandy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
And it's not like it originally aired on some hidden away upper tier cable channel like TechTV or whatever ran Samurai 7; SyFy is as much basic cable as Cartoon Network. But it seems they know and recognize that, since 2 AM isn't exactly a slot for new premieres. I guess it's good that they have turnover, but it'd be cooler to see things that haven't already run on TV before.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And it's not like it originally aired on some hidden away upper tier cable channel like TechTV or whatever ran Samurai 7; SyFy is as much basic cable as Cartoon Network. But it seems they know and recognize that, since 2 AM isn't exactly a slot for new premieres. I guess it's good that they have turnover, but it'd be cooler to see things that haven't already run on TV before.

As you said in the other post, the Syfy run cut out tons of scenes for time. Unless they're using that awful version, I consider this a fresh run.

That said, this is a show a lot of people asked for, so it's not like it was done on a whim. I'm sure they will announce new stuff in the fall.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
spinja446

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote
Who cares if it aired on Syfy lol. Syfy wasn't the only channel airing anime.

Starz Edge aired Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate back in 2008 as well as Desert Punk for a short time. They also aired some movies too like Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa, Akira, Appleseed, Jin-Roh, GITS: Solid State Society.

IFC was also airing anime under their belt too.
Samurai 7 and Basilisk in 2006.
Gunslinger Girl aired in 2007
Speed Grapher and Witchblade aired in 2008.

I'm glad Gurren Lagann is airing on Toonami nevertheless. It's perfect for them.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:26 am Reply with quote
That's why I said basic cable, those channels are not normally a part of basic cable, you'd have to buy a better package or specifically request those.
u6064vision

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
Who cares if it aired on Syfy lol. Syfy wasn't the only channel airing anime.

Starz Edge aired Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate back in 2008 as well as Desert Punk for a short time. They also aired some movies too like Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa, Akira, Appleseed, Jin-Roh, GITS: Solid State Society.

IFC was also airing anime under their belt too.
Samurai 7 and Basilisk in 2006.
Gunslinger Girl aired in 2007
Speed Grapher and Witchblade aired in 2008.

I'm glad Gurren Lagann is airing on Toonami nevertheless. It's perfect for them.

Don't forget G4 even though their anime block was terrible lol

I believe they aired Gungrave, R.O.D: Read or Die, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, RahXephon and Cromartie High School.

Not exactly a stellar line-up but they did air some of that stuff If I correctly remember. They also aired Vipers Creed which was awful. xD
spinja446

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That's why I said basic cable, those channels are not normally a part of basic cable, you'd have to buy a better package or specifically request those.

True, I was still living with my parents at the time which was years ago around those airings so I didn't pay for any cable or know which channels were packaged. I figured IFC was pretty basic cable with the exception of Starz Edge which I know that was exclusive cable network.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
Well, isn't this interesting. Why do I get the sense that in about six months, I'll be hearing Steve Blum say "We love Gurren Lagann and the team that brought you this series has done another title that we're proud to announce will be on soon."

*Cue Kill La Kill OST*
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
Yeah, see, here's the thing, doubters - I own Gurren Lagann, have watched it many times. I first saw it on Syfy too. And guess what? I'm STILL excited for it to be on Toonami, because it's the perfect fit for the block. And I'm sure there's still people that actually did miss it when it was on Syfy and never bought the DVDs (or don't want to pay those asinine Aniplex prices for them now), so there's still a great reason for the block to air this.

Seriously, since when did it become a problem for an awesome show to be aired on a block regardless of whether it's old or not?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote
Remember when Macross Plus aired on Tech TV? Man those were some gooood times.
ki_881

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:01 am Reply with quote
u6064vision wrote:

Don't forget G4 even though their anime block was terrible lol

I believe they aired Gungrave, R.O.D: Read or Die, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, RahXephon and Cromartie High School.

Not exactly a stellar line-up but they did air some of that stuff If I correctly remember. They also aired Vipers Creed which was awful. xD

You forgot Banner of the Stars.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
Chance to finally watch Gurren Lagann = found.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6