• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods with Justin Cook, Chris Sabat, and Sean Schemmel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
GREAT interview! Sean, Chris, and Justin are really funny guys, and its always cool hearing about the behind-the-scenes stuff!

My only concern is that it seemed they had to rush the dub, although I suppose they can always fix any problems for the Blu-ray.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Schemmel only gets it half-right. Goku never killed Freeza; he barely survived before King Kold finds him.

Also, Justin Cook sure is Cool, I agree.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
If it was an interview with with the Japanese with both the Funimation & Ocean voices Vegeta and Goku, that would a huge honor.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We dubbed the show for the first time back in 1999, it got on television, and I was never embarrassed by anything we did back then.

I'm just going to let that sink in.

Quote:
Thematically, it's much closer to what I think he was interested in, because it was my understanding that he wanted to finish the series after Frieza.

There's another amusing nugget of information.

These guys are really high on themselves. And why not? The majority of DBZ "fans" in America still wonder why DBZ Kai didn't have Bruce Faulconer's music and why Chris Sabat's voice has changed. They've come a long way from random people in Funimation's offices that were pushed into a recording booth for an afternoon to become voice actors. To a large group of people, they are the real stars of DBZ.

That said, I think I need a drink.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
At least the Funimation in house English dub improved. Grew up with DBZ in Italian, where the scripting and voice acting were pretty good, compared to the English dubs. In fact, we got one of the few good DBZ dubs worldwide. The German dubs, French dubs, Spanish-Spain dub and other major dubs were atrocious, along with most English versions of this franchise. I think I admire the VAs in this. To believe that the girl* who deeply loved DBZ in Italian now loves the English version. Good job, Funimation. It only took 14 years(11, counting in house attempts).

*Yes, I am a girl. The "man" thing refers to human, not male.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
It shouldn't take over a decade for the voice actors to become mildly proficient at what they're doing, especially in a flagship property like DBZ. Many of the Japanese VAs were already celebrated veterans when they took on their roles, and, with very few exceptions, absolutely still spank the English cast in quality.

But yes, yes Funimation's dubbing for DBZ, and at large, has improved dramatically over time. I would dare say that they're probably the best active dubbing group in the game. I'll probably buy their BoG release, even.

I just find some of the comments from these now experienced VAs to be amusingly ignorant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
There's lots of stuff in this I didn't know, and it's very interesting. It's neat to see how far they've come since dubbing the Frieza saga in 1999. I knew they dealt with sketchy Engrish translations from Japan, but had no idea they had to work with the people who did the Spanish dub. English anime dubbing in general has come a long way. It would be interesting to hear what the DBZ dub would've sounded like had FUNi stayed in Silicon Valley (they probably would've done it in LA). Actually, quite a bit of the anime dubbing industry (or voiceover in general) would be completely different today.

What exactly has FUNi tweaked for the new Blu-rays? I know they did a bit for the orange bricks (that carried over to the Dragon Boxes), but what did they do specifically for these?

I'm excited to see this in theaters. It's actually playing at one right near me. I just wanna see DBZ on the big screen. I've wanted to do that since I first watched got into the show 13 years ago.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
We dubbed the show for the first time back in 1999, it got on television, and I was never embarrassed by anything we did back then.

I'm just going to let that sink in.

So, they aren't allowed to be proud of accomplishing something that was pretty much unheard of at the time? Yeah, it was rough, but when everyone involved was new to the process, how could it not be? I'd say getting anime on American TV and having it be a massive success is absolutely something to be proud of. I don't see why they should be embarrassed by what they produced at the time.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
They can be proud of the result, the show got on TV (though it already had been on TV), but proud of what they had to do to accomplish it? Come on, even other dubbed anime on TV at the time were better off than DBZ. Yeah, extremely popular, but at what cost? They butchered it.

Mind you, Sabat started in 1999. DBZ had already been on TV in America for three years, and anime with more faithful and better acted dubs were already on at that point. We're not talking 1996 here.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
They added photoshop glow to the battle of the gods poster. Yuck.

You heard this before but....Sabat, you will never be the voice of Vegeta. It will always be Horikawa, but in the english dub you are still a place holder for Brian Drummond. I've bought every VHS tape Funimation released and still didn't feel you even came close to the Ocean dub of Vegeta. Sure Goku's father may have been a "brilliant scientist" "sent to the next dimension" and Goku's power level was "over 9000" but man, no one could scream like Drummond. Sabat sounds like a raspy brodog in comparison.

This history they reminisce are for dub fans only, ya know those of us who bought the DBZ soundtracks with Deftones and what not. Funimation has money in mind, being respectful is not what they are about. They delve out a byproduct. Let the brain dead legion enjoy it. The 90's are long over. Its 2014 are we are still talking about DBZ, and if thats the case, its going to be around another 100 years if it can help it. And ill bet the next ten generations will be just as vocal as we are about the dub that was changed when they last heard it. What then?

Funimation doesn't own DBZ so they can only do so much damage.

Regardless I'm still seeing this movie in theaters. I keep this DB hot mess going as I did when no one knew what Dragonball was and the only place you could find it was the local Chinatown. Ah the pre funi past.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If it was an interview with with the Japanese with both the Funimation & Ocean voices Vegeta and Goku, that would a huge honor.

Not only a huge honor, but super-epic. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It shouldn't take over a decade for the voice actors to become mildly proficient at what they're doing, especially in a flagship property like DBZ. Many of the Japanese VAs were already celebrated veterans when they took on their roles, and, with very few exceptions, absolutely still spank the English cast in quality.

But yes, yes Funimation's dubbing for DBZ, and at large, has improved dramatically over time. I would dare say that they're probably the best active dubbing group in the game. I'll probably buy their BoG release, even.

I just find some of the comments from these now experienced VAs to be amusingly ignorant.

I've love to know which DBZ Japanese VA that penguintruth (at times, he seems like a sub elitist) feels aren't good as the DBZ Funi cast.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I've love to know which DBZ Japanese VA that penguintruth (at times, he seems like a sub elitist) feels aren't good as the DBZ Funi cast.

Well, none. I'm just saying the gap is getting shorter between them, mostly because the Japanese cast is getting older.

I'm not a "sub elitist" if I prefer the Japanese cast, even by a lot. I'm a "sub elitist" if I don't give English dubs a chance at all, which I do.

That said, there are some VAs that were pretty good in their DBZ roles from the beginning. Chuck Huber as 17, Meredith McCoy as 18 (though I've come to like Colleen Clinkenbeard's just as much), Chris Rager's Mr. Satan, Kyle Hebert's older Gohan (Brad Swaile also did a good job in this role for the Ocean dub of the later material, one of the few bright spots), and a few others. But they're rare cases.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I'm not a "sub elitist" if I prefer the Japanese cast, even by a lot. I'm a "sub elitist" if I don't give English dubs a chance at all, which I [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypiKGMyWhNc]do
Perhaps, but you do tend to be obnoxiously condescending about expressing your opinion. Unfortunately that seems to be a prevailing trait in internet discussion.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I watched a few clips of the old DBZ dub on Youtube the other day after not having watched it for many years. Way more shaky than I remember it being. It's fine overall but Chris Sabat's Vegeta was a bit off and some of the translation choices (Such as giving Jeice an Aussie accent) still make me scratch my head to this day.

Admittedly I've watched so many remastered versions of the show since then (As well as playing the games and watching the Dragonball and GT dubs that came later) that I could barely even remember the original dub sounded like but now that I've gone back to it it's really driven in how much they've improved since then.

Although hearing about the process I can't really blame them for a lot of those things. Actually, I think they did a fantastic job with what they had.

Can't wait to watch Battle of Gods. I'm actually glad I decided to put it off until now. I just can't get that same nostalgic feeling from watching it with the Japanese voices that I'm only familiar with because the Australian version of the first Budokai game didn't have an English dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2