• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Sols Launches Streaming Campaigns for Dororo, Gordian

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I thought the campaigns for Dororo and Gordian were for streaming instead of DVDs.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
GVMan: It's fixed.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Dororo certainly has an interesting premise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
F-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Dororo is:

• One of Osamu Tezuka’s best anime.
  • From an all-star crew of anime makers. (Gisaburô Sugii, Yoshiyuki Tomino, Osamu Dezaki, Noboru Ishiguro, Isao Tomita, etc.)
  • Based on one of Tezuka’s best manga. There’s a good reason it had a PS2 game and live-action movie in recent years. It has a timeless quality to it.
  • Its streaming is possibly the best Tezuka fandom news in 5 years.
  • For fans of classic anime, this is the oldest TV anime ever to get a chance at a subtitled release.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Dororo and Gordian both sound interesting. Dororo reminds me of Casshan/Casshern (I don't know why), and Gordian sounds like an interesting little adventure.

Somewhat related: My fingers are still crossed that some sort of magic is performed and the "Wonder Three" English dub is released completely intact.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
Dororo and Gordian both sound interesting. Dororo reminds me of Casshan/Casshern (I don't know why), and Gordian sounds like an interesting little adventure.

Dororo & Casshan aren't exactly similar, but I guess there are some similarities between them. For anyone who remembers the PS2 game Blood Will Tell from Sega, an absolutely awesome game, it was another adaptation of Dororo.

As for Gordian, I really didn't know anything about it, other than the fact that it existed, but it does sound admittedly neat. Also, as Mike Toole pointed out on Twitter, the mech designs were by a 19-year-old Shoji Kawamori, which sounds awesome. That's about as cool as when I saw ANN's encyclopedia entry for the Dororo anime & saw that a young Yoshiaki Kawajiri (19 as well to be exact, & literally one year out of high school!) did the in-betweening for the show.

Seriously, as F-Man pointed out, the Dororo anime has a staff that now sounds absolutely impossible to duplicate, especially in the episode director list.

Quote:
Somewhat related: My fingers are still crossed that some sort of magic is performed and the "Wonder Three" English dub is released completely intact.

Leave that for Right Stuf. Last time Shawne Kleckner was on ANNCast he mentioned that he's been searching for good quality video of The Amazing Three dub for years so that he can give the show a quality release, ala Princess Knight.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Even as a fan of old anime, there's still a line that's drawn once I get to about 1969/1970. The low budgets and lack of animation just become too noticeable and the shows are still like 100+ episodes long. I'd rather see Cleopatra and Senya Ichiya Monogatari be Tezuka's representative anime of that era. They're wacky, bizarre, funny, and just really unique pieces of art. Also helps that they're in color and 'Scope making them not feel so dated.

For Gordian, is there anything that makes it special or is it another Giant Gorg or Ideon that get talked up forever only to be let down once you can actually watch the damn things subbed? The premise provided here doesn't sound any more interesting than any other giant robot anime of the late 70s. The term dime a dozen literally applies here.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Even as a fan of old anime, there's still a line that's drawn once I get to about 1969/1970. The low budgets and lack of animation just become too noticeable and the shows are still like 100+ episodes long. I'd rather see Cleopatra and Senya Ichiya Monogatari be Tezuka's representative anime of that era. They're wacky, bizarre, funny, and just really unique pieces of art. Also helps that they're in color and 'Scope making them not feel so dated.

Dororo is only 26 episodes long & was made in B&W because Fuji TV didn't want to pony up the extra money. Also, it's generally stated that Dororo being made in B&W was for the better because it helps add to the eerie mood of the series. As for the quality of the show itself, Dororo was the first entry in what would become the World Masterpiece Theater series, a series generally known for quality work.

I understand your hesitations regarding TV anime of that time, but Dororo is mostly an exception to your rules.
F-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Dororo isn't that different from some kid animes made today. Usually limited in animation but with the occasional moment of beauty.

Its backgrounds are also constantly breathtaking. And it's so much more entertaining than Cleopatra and Senya Ichiya Monogatari. Definitely knows better how to set a certain tone.
spinja446

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
F-Man wrote:
Dororo is:

• One of Osamu Tezuka’s best anime.
  • From an all-star crew of anime makers. (Gisaburô Sugii, Yoshiyuki Tomino, Osamu Dezaki, Noboru Ishiguro, Isao Tomita, etc.)
  • Based on one of Tezuka’s best manga. There’s a good reason it had a PS2 game and live-action movie in recent years. It has a timeless quality to it.
  • Its streaming is possibly the best Tezuka fandom news in 5 years.
  • For fans of classic anime, this is the oldest TV anime ever to get a chance at a subtitled release.

F-Man wrote:
Dororo isn't that different from some kid animes made today. Usually limited in animation but with the occasional moment of beauty.

Its backgrounds are also constantly breathtaking. And it's so much more entertaining than Cleopatra and Senya Ichiya Monogatari. Definitely knows better how to set a certain tone.

Man you are really greasing the wheels pushing for this aren't you? Posting bullets, got your very own avatar and posting gifs. You are trying to work us to hard. coaxing us to no end... I'm sorry but there will be a lot of people that won't come around to your way of thinking.

The good news is that Dororo only needs $2700 goal for streaming of episodes 1-13. If this was set for a DVD release it'd be dead on arrival and who knows how much that goal would be.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree I was surprised by how well Drororo held up when I watched the first episode.
u6064vision

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
People are paying pledges for streaming?! WTF? I would not pledge $50 to help someone sub either of these releases with no dvd release. I don't care how good the quality or masters are for these anime.

All you get is a "Thanks" back? If I get nothing but a "thanks" than I'd rather give money to a homeless person that needs the money and receive a "thanks" from them instead while feeling really good about my good deed for the day. What a shoddy alternative and attempt even for a crowdfunding site. I'm not that desperate to see either of these subbed and pay for it. I'd probably feel different and would support these releases if it were being funded for physical dvd releases but it's not that.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
u6064vision wrote:
People are paying pledges for streaming?! WTF? I would not pledge $50 to help someone sub either of these releases with no dvd release. I don't care how good the quality or masters are for these anime.

We've always been paying for the subs for streaming. The DVD funding costs were never solely for DVD production. It was for that to an extent, but all of the previous pledges also accounted for things like site maintenance as well as paying for the subs being made. That's why titles that didn't get a single set funded never went beyond what the first set entailed; Anime Sols would have been essentially throwing money away subbing more episodes. Hell, they're kind of doing that with Black Jack TV, but have slowed down to one episode every month to reduce losses.

These streaming-only drives, should they succeed, would more than likely remove the cost of subbing from a potential future DVD set drive. To make a comparison, with some guesstimating since we don't know the exact details, let's compare Dororo to Dear Brother, which are both Tezuka Pro titles (yeah, I know Dororo is actually a Mushi Pro title, but Tezuka Pro is behind it being on Sols). Each 13-episode set for Dear Brother needed $13,000 to succeed, so it would only be reasonable to think that future 13-episode sets for Dororo would need a similar amount.

Now, let's say that Dororo's subs get fully paid for. Since those costs would be a non-factor for the DVD drives, we could reasonably remove them from the total costs, making each Dororo 13-episode DVD set drive require $10,000-$11,000 (depending on if Sols rounds up or down from $10,3000) to succeed instead of needing $13,000 like Dear Brother's sets needed. Sure, it's a difference of only $2,000-$3,000, but that can easily make the difference between an absolute failure & a potential success.

You want DVD sets to put your money towards? Fine, and if these subs drives work then those DVD sets can become easier to fund from a coast perspective.
u6064vision

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
u6064vision wrote:

We've always been paying for the subs for streaming. The DVD funding costs were never solely for DVD production. It was for that to an extent, but all of the previous pledges also accounted for things like site maintenance as well as paying for the subs being made. That's why titles that didn't get a single set funded never went beyond what the first set entailed; Anime Sols would have been essentially throwing money away subbing more episodes. Hell, they're kind of doing that with Black Jack TV, but have slowed down to one episode every month to reduce losses.

These streaming-only drives, should they succeed, would more than likely remove the cost of subbing from a potential future DVD set drive. To make a comparison, with some guesstimating since we don't know the exact details, let's compare Dororo to Dear Brother, which are both Tezuka Pro titles (yeah, I know Dororo is actually a Mushi Pro title, but Tezuka Pro is behind it being on Sols). Each 13-episode set for Dear Brother needed $13,000 to succeed, so it would only be reasonable to think that future 13-episode sets for Dororo would need a similar amount.

Now, let's say that Dororo's subs get fully paid for. Since those costs would be a non-factor for the DVD drives, we could reasonably remove them from the total costs, making each Dororo 13-episode DVD set drive require $10,000-$11,000 (depending on if Sols rounds up or down from $10,3000) to succeed instead of needing $13,000 like Dear Brother's sets needed. Sure, it's a difference of only $2,000-$3,000, but that can easily make the difference between an absolute failure & a potential success.

You want DVD sets to put your money towards? Fine, and if these subs drives work then those DVD sets can become easier to fund from a coast perspective.

I'm all for them experimenting and trying new things but I just can't wrap my head around this. It's beyond me. A $2 to $25 pledge might seem a little more realistic to me for just a sub stream but even that is still a little silly. If both of these are a success then good for them I suppose. I won't be a lab rat participating or investing in this Anime Sols experiment especially for these 2 particular anime. Good luck to them nevertheless.
F-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
Man you are really greasing the wheels pushing for this aren't you? Posting bullets, got your very own avatar and posting gifs. You are trying to work us to hard. coaxing us to no end... I'm sorry but there will be a lot of people that won't come around to your way of thinking.

To be honest I've been a die-hard Dororo fan long before it was revealed to be coming to Anime Sols. I even made that first gif a while ago.

I became a huge Osamu Tezuka fan 6 years ago when I watched the Metropolis movie and then bought the Astro Boy manga. While reading Astro Boy I thought it was so good that I also bought the first volumes of Dororo and Phoenix. Now I have every Tezuka manga released in English AND French, and Dororo, one of my first titles, remains one of my absolute favorites.

Sure, it may not have a powerful and deep story like some volumes of Phoenix, but the characters grow emotionally, and you get attached to them a lot. This is more than just some "Tezuka title," it's a franchise. And I'm so glad that both the video game and movie made for it turned out to be good (mostly the video game). I was even more glad to see that the anime, after a few episodes got fansubbed, turned out to be one of the best Tezuka anime as well, and I've seen a lot.

u6064vision wrote:

To be honest $50 is a bit much. Personally I did donate twice that amount because I love Dororo so damn much that I'd do anything just to make it less long until I can just watch a few more episodes (I actually donated the same amount to the fansub group only 10 days before the Anime Sols reveal, just to help them hurry up with their release). But to the average person, only $10, or even $5, would be extremely helpful. $50 would make you a saint.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3