• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
fans of... (should they exist) Gundam X

From what I've seen Gundam X is one of the few universally (for the most part) well regarded Gundam series.

Anyways, I'm one who enjoys being able to take control of my favourite characters and beat stuff up, so I have a lot of fun with this game.

Some of the challenges do make things pretty difficult. Took me half an hour to take down 2 Big Zams in a Zaku Tank.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
>The 08th MS Team
Wait, so did they finally include any suits from it this time around?

Quote:
or (should they exist) [fans of] Gundam X

Why'd you have to go there?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
>The 08th MS Team
Wait, so did they finally include any suits from it this time around?

Nope. The bulk of the new suits are from SEED and Destiny.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget that a fairly competent translation of Gundam ZZ was recently distributed online in its entirety by Anime Daisuki. I had a blast watching the whole series on my 3DS and my HDTV when time permitted.

I'm shocked & find it refreshing to actually see a review that doesn't lower itself to the typical Dynasty Warriors meme (Nintendo Life did it recently for their Hyrule Warriors preview and it read like arse).

Unfortunately, I think DW Gundam Reborn came out a little underwhelming anyways. I loved almost everything about DW Gundam 3 except for its missing MS Units from the first two games and it's small pool of generic MOBA-esque maps. Reborn just sadly.....feels really rushed and lacking in the depth and difficulty department. Any challenge present in the previous two games seems to have evaporated in most spots.

The English localisation further magnifies that since they chopped out a lot of the custom music slots (didn't even include older DW Gundam generic music) and there are typos in a few spots.

I don't mind the SEED focus and I like playing the different mobile armor units, but the combat just doesn't feel as tight as it has in previous games - and I think this is probably its largest fault. Where I once would combo a launcher attack string into an aerial juggle into a Musou finisher, they've now made aerial combos practically infinite & the crazy Burst special attacks explode everything without much issue.

One thing that DID catch my attention was the original MS Gundam series recreation in Official Mode. It looks like they re-drew practically every scene in BluRay-ish quality and the whole thing was one of the most awesome experiences I've ever had watching/playing Gundam.

......but then the next Official Mode recreation was Zeta's New Translation movie rather than the actual series. The exclusion of the Psycho Mark II and all of the other omitted conflicts really made that one crash and burn for me.

With that said, I kinda like the game for its vast number of characters and MS Units, but it's not my favorite. I'd have liked to have gotten DW Gundam 3 with DWG2's missing units and maps/story modes, but I think I got the sub-par One Piece Warriors 2 game with a Gundam coating instead. Here's hoping an eventual DW Gundam 5 and the Hyrule Warriors games do not make the same mistakes.

Anyone else who has gotten a chance to play have any thoughts and comments?
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Hoping for depth from a DW Gundam game is hoping for a little too much. After all, it's almost entirely based on a concept of coating the "classic" DW with a coat of Gundam paint. At best it is a retelling of the stories of the various series, which is what story mode has been.

The difficulty part has always been the main obstacle for the series. At its heart you can't have the sort of super-massive swarm of enemies typical in these games without making the grunts relatively easy to swat down before it becomes laboriously difficult to make progress. At the same time you would have hoped they could make boss enemies and mid-bosses a little more of a challenge.

Overall I'd probably rank it a little bit higher, maybe a B or B-. It's definitely not a game for everyone, especially if you're not a Gundam fan. Non Gundam fans will be bored by the content in general, and Gundam fans in general are gonna find something not to like about their favorite series' representation. Not a bad game, just not for everyone.
IanC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
Digital only? Hahaha *hugs his UK disc*

BTW I seem to keep saying this, but Seed and Destiny seem to be given a lot of love in this game due to timing, it came out as the HD remasters were airing/aired on Japanese TV. So it has a lot of Seed in it to capitalise on that.

The fact that the Zeta storyline was based on the movies annoyed me. Really.

MEh, I'm enjoying it anyway.. Ultimate mode has a lot to do, and its fun in a silly way. The DLC seems to be nice too, just picked up the bundle of it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote
Gundam X is a fine teen action series and way better then it´s 2 sisters series. But one questiuon remains. What do Gundam and Dynasty Warriors have in commen ? One is a respectable media franchise and one is a turd of a game series that sells way to good to be true. Dear Bandai if you are reading this.
Please rip off ZoE, Front Mission or Armored Core. You know. Actual Mech games that are good and use more then two buttons. And no "new Translation" adaptations and no love for Seed(Destiny) next time. I will buy that game glady. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
For anyone that is a hardcore Gundam nut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NtV7An8asVw#t=266

If you look at that point in the YouTube video, it shows an example of what I'm talking about. The original series DID NOT look that good originally.

If you crank the difficulty up to Hard and have the original MS Gundam OST installed to your PS3 (since the game uses custom soundtracks), they basically have almost every major plot point covered in the game adequately enough that it knocked my socks off. I would almost argue that the game is worth buying for the sole purpose of experiencing the original MS Gundam with Unicorn's animation quality (though most scenes are still images with voices, there are a LOT of them).

Once the custom soundtrack is set up properly, the combination of the missions and the timing of the music make for THE most epic MS Gundam moments I've ever had the pleasure of playing through.
bin1127

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Gundam, but with all honesty, if ANN never reviews another Gundam game ever again I would totally understand.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Anyone else who has gotten a chance to play have any thoughts and comments?

One step forward, Two steps back. That's how I view this game. It's not bad by any means, but I can't say it improves much either. Some things are done right--while others were neglected entirely.

It's strange, but I can't say this game is better than the previous one. I greatly miss the graphics and online mode of #3. It seems odd to me that they removed features for this sequel.

As stated in the beginning, its not horrible, and the variety of suits/pilots satisfy my gundam needs without giving me a story (all I want is to blow things up)--yet at the same time it's underwhelming. I feel that I could have easily played #3 for another few years if this game didn't exist, there is nothing groundbreaking about this sequel that make the previous game obsolete.

If they ever make a #5, I hope they go back to the style of the 3rd game with the added features of Reborn.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1