• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Zatch Bell

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
I prefer to call it the "Adorable Cockfight" genre.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I love this series, and have always found it to be a tighter, more interpersonal version of One Piece. You're not gonna find a lot of stuff in the same demographic that compares.
EastN3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I am vaguely insulted, seeing as Zatch Bell is one of my favorite series, and I'm certainly not 14 or under. But I agree it can be too stupid for it's own good sometimes. Rolling Eyes
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Underground muppet fighting

WHY IS THIS NOT A MANGA ALREADY.

Disney, get on this. Make a billion dollars. All I ask in return is Gonzo's autograph.

MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I do not agree with the author that this manga is "not very good".

In my opinion, this is one of the best manga of shonen genre:
1) striking, unique drawing style;
2) it has character development;
3) elements of very emotional drama;
4) sense of awe, wonders of magic, cool fights;
5) cute and funny scenes, wits.

There is nothing more I can ask from this genre. Of course, some may think that the beginning is slow, and that the manga has double ending -- those are legitimate concerns. They were not issues for me, though.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
EastN3 wrote:
I am vaguely insulted, seeing as Zatch Bell is one of my favorite series, and I'm certainly not 14 or under. But I agree it can be too stupid for it's own good sometimes. Rolling Eyes

Gash Bell is a shounen series so it's for kids, but then again so is One Piece, Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and other insanely popular shows so I don't see how that's an insult.

I disagree with saying the edits are fine though. Censorship is never okay, especially when it results in ruining character backstories and moments like Sherry's. Though I guess you can't expect much from Viz.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
"pokemon rip off"...."pokemon rip off"...."pokemon rip off"...."pokemon rip off"...."pokemon rip off"...."pokemon rip off".... Mad
Are you freaking kidding me. Pokemon has nothing on this. Mr. Thompson is just insulting one of the greatest adventure stories of all time. It's cuteness is a charm and a nice side visual to the great characters and epic fight scenes. No show/manga had made me more excited to see a new attack. Definitely one of your worst articles.
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Zatch Bell was canceled, even if it sold poorly. Raiku bought the publishing rights to it so it couldn't be reprinted.
TropicaliaSoup

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow this brings back memories of watching the show as a kid. I came across the manga in middle school but I didn't get that far into it. I'm quite tempted to buy the first 100 episodes of the show dubbed that New Video put out. I still enjoy some shounen and I recall Zatch Bell being quite silly but also pretty exciting.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
I don't think Zatch Bell was canceled, even if it sold poorly. Raiku bought the publishing rights to it so it couldn't be reprinted.

Kodansha reprinted it. I don't think something that ran for 33 volumes can be considered a poor-seller. The original publisher, Shogakukan, were careless with Raiku's manuscript, so he packed up shop and moved in with Kodansha, who published Animal Land. The Kodansha re-release is definitely still in print.
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Wooga wrote:

Kodansha reprinted it. I don't think something that ran for 33 volumes can be considered a poor-seller. The original publisher, Shogakukan, were careless with Raiku's manuscript, so he packed up shop and moved in with Kodansha, who published Animal Land. The Kodansha re-release is definitely still in print.

It got reprinted in Japan but in the US, Viz stopped printing it at volume 25. So sad when there was only 8 volumes left. Kind of like how Tokyopop had to stop printing RAVE (or Rave Master) when there were only 3 volumes left (although those were under slightly different circumstance). Apparently the Spanish edition of Zatch Bell made its way to all 33 volumes.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Zatch Bell, a shame I didn't get to finish this one via the anime (a hilarious combination of awesome and zaniness). Same with Rave Master. I never seem to finish these longer running series.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I loved Gash/Zatch Bell the series was great with some really awesome fights. There were also some amazingly dramatic tearjerker moments in the manga. spoiler[The "deaths" of Bari, Danny, Ponygon, Kanchome, Gash/Zatch's backstory, the fight between Kanchome and Goomu, after Kiyomaru's book glows gold in the final battle] just a lot of good moments in the series. Not a perfect series but still a hell of a lot of fun with great heart.
merr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Viz and ShoPro were pushing this property hard in America about ten years ago, and I've never understood why. If they wanted to recapture the waning Pokemon audience, there had to have been better properties to do it with than this. It's just not that appealing.

The show itself felt like young Saturday morning cartoon fare (Viz's edits didn't help with that), but it aired at 9:30 pm on Saturdays in a block aimed at much older children. It also had almost no preexisting fanbase in the US. Whatever fans it did have were likely turned away by the title change and censorship. Yet there were toys, video games, and trading cards. I don't think many people bought them.

Maybe it was just part of some elaborate deal between Shogakukan and Shueish to finally get Naruto on the air in the US.
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

Gash Bell is a shounen series so it's for kids, but then again so is One Piece, Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and other insanely popular shows so I don't see how that's an insult.

I disagree with saying the edits are fine though. Censorship is never okay, especially when it results in ruining character backstories and moments like Sherry's. Though I guess you can't expect much from Viz.

What was censored about Sherry? I never read her backstory in the manga, but I vaguely remember that (in the Toonami broadcast) her mother's strictness drove Sherry to try to commit suicide but was saved by Koko. Was there something else?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3