• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kuroko's Basketball Manga to End

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Ah, it looks like the long journey will come to an end. This was expected imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
And how did ANN confirm this?
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

(The image pictured is the cover of the 39th issue.)
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Bye, Felicia.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

(The image pictured is the cover of the 39th issue.)

But the chapter in the 39th issue, which already released and was on sale on 8/25 officially, said nothing about it ending. Unless ANN has a copy of the 40th issue and the chapter says end....
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Thank god they didn't do an all-star game. That would've sucked. I'm looking at you, Eyeshield 21.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I find it hard to believe that WSJ would let its 2nd best selling series to end, and with such short notice too. Especially with Bleach and Naruto approaching their finales too, who's gonna bring the money in? The previous chapter didn't hint any such thing either, are you sure you're not mistranslating something?
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I presume that what Reverse is alluding to is that distribution of the magazine's next issue has been pushed back a day or two (as part of the effort to combat piracy). Ergo, how does one find news such as this?.... Twisted Evil

Currently floating around is a statement that Kuroko is ending, from Weibo (Chinese microblogging). How trustworthy that is, is something that's up in the air, since there are no scans available to confirm.

Edit:
Now on the sales subject... there's a new crop of stars coming in.
Haikyuu!! got a big boost from its anime. The sales of its latest volume are in the same territory as what Kuroko hit when it got its anime boost. It's not unreasonable for this series to replicate Kuroko's numbers.
Assassination Classroom has the potential to be the next superstar if the anime does well. As it is, right now with no anime, it outsells Bleach. It brought in more money for Shueisha than Bleach did last year. Certainly, a star at this very moment.
Shokugeki no Souma is a pick of mine to be the next in the line of stars. Its sales have plateau'd at hit levels without an anime, but nowhere near bonkers like Ass Class. If its inevitable anime gives it a boost similar to the one Nisekoi got, its sales will push up past the Gintama/Toriko levels, but probably close, but not quite, current-Bleach levels.

Last edited by Somewhere on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hospodar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I find it hard to believe that WSJ would let its 2nd best selling series to end, and with such short notice too. Especially with Bleach and Naruto approaching their finales too, who's gonna bring the money in? The previous chapter didn't hint any such thing either, are you sure you're not mistranslating something?

All WSJ Manga end on short notice. This is normal for them. They usually do a “next chapter big announcement” and then then end the Manga the next week. This is normal for them, at best you get a “this manga ends in 3 chapter” notice. Plus I don’t think it it’s the second bestselling one (at least on Volume Base which is what counts the most). Both One Piece, Naruto and HxH sell definitely more per Volume. I think Assclass and Bleach might too. And I think Haikyuu!! has reached around that level.
They do not have a choice than to end it. It has reached it “natural” end. While it has never stopped them from prolonging a series, this usually doesn’t end well and they are forced to end it like for which Death Note and Eyeshild 21 are good examples for.
leesahlynn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the last chapter say something about some surprising new development next week or something like that?
youwhatsup

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
it was kinda predictive
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Post heavy in manga spoilers

Storywise it would sort of make sense for it to end since spoiler[ Kagami and Kuroko's goal of defeating the GoM has been accomplished and even Akashi went back to his normal self], howeverspoiler[ the final match vs Rakuzan just ended in the last page of last chapter, so I find it hard to believe Fujimaki's just gonna wrap up all of Kuroko's traumas and a very necessary reuniting of the GoM, plus the post-victory celebrations in just one chapter]. It honestly feels too abrupt, and Fujimaki did mention that he hoped to reunite the GoM at some point.

And then there's of course the economic side and Kuroko is massively popular and selling like crazy right now, I can't imagine WSJ will just let it end like that.
simona.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
It would be very silly on both Jump and Fujimaki's part not to do a second series. it's also *very* weird that they finish such a best seller with no notice whatsoever. we'll see.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Freakmasta wrote:
Thank god they didn't do an all-star game. That would've sucked. I'm looking at you, Eyeshield 21.

I actually liked that. Take the best Japanese boys and throw them into a team.
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
MORE HAIKYUU PLEASE! I lost interest in Kuroko No Baske after the first few episodes of season 2 anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5