• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Mystery Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chipp12

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
SHIN HAYARIGAMI

The artist for this is also working on new Fatal Frame/Zero manga adaptation.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I haven't seen that Final Fantasy comic ad in about two decades, even though I could probably dig out some of the comics where it appears in a few minutes. I seem to remember searching eBay once or twice for ashcans of those comics after finding out that they were never actually released. Maybe one day they'll surface, but for now, that Famitsu spread (which is a great find on its own) will have to do.

Also, I don't think the Persona series will ever graduate high school. A version set in college or the working world would be really interesting, though.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
YAKUZA ZERO GOES TO 1988, DOESN'T MEET SHENMUE
Quote:

I can't help but laugh at this. I've heard so much about this game and it's massive fan following. It would be cool to see this game again.

I'm really getting sick of Nintendo with this constant release of new consoles. I mean GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!!

I'll admit I've never seen this FF comic before but I guess I better hold my tongue now after know big time guys were responsible for the art and you found yourself cursing it. And I love Mignola's work. Well, his later work, didn't know much about him then. Shows what you don't know when you were growing up back in the 80's. Unless you were a comic collector then you'd know.

Zerreth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
In regards to him being in highschool. I'm pretty sure the screenshot that was provided was the dead giveaway. I'm pretty sure that was a school emblem on where his left breast pocket would be.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Also, I don't think the Persona series will ever graduate high school. A version set in college or the working world would be really interesting, though.

But the thing is, it already has. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment had a full cast of adult playable characters. It would be nice to see that again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
But the thing is, it already has. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment had a full cast of adult playable characters. It would be nice to see that again.

Ah, my bad, I wasn't aware of that ^^; Good to know.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bungie also made the strange choice of locking off the multiplayer mode at first.

That is sure to piss off some fans. I personally think it's a great idea. shows they know the mentality. "What single player?"

On another note, the game looks old already. like, Halo 3 old. Guess gameplay outweighs the graphics.

Quote:
SHIN HAYARIGAMI
Been waiting for this for a while.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Bungie hasn't released any pre-review copies kinda irks me a bit. Look, between myself and my roommate I have an Xbone, PS3, a PS4, and a 360, but this doesn't make me want get Destiny for any of them until I know it's a good time.

Also, the Street Fighter movie had something quite rare in animation. Actual fight choreography. In this case, Seidokaikan founder Kazuyoshii Ishii and professional K-1 badass the late Andy Hug made the fights look authentic, which you don't get most of the time in animation. (Apparently Avatar the Last Airbender had a fight choreographer, but that's Y7).
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
R. Kasahara wrote:

Though to be fair, said adults were side characters in "Innocent Sin" (except maybe Baofu?), and the plot still ultimately revolves heavily around Tatsuya (even if you're not viewing from his perspective). Not to mention it was before balancing daily-life and dungeon crawling became a part of the series, so it's definitely not the same as putting the player in an adult-oriented environment/having to deal with adult issues.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:

The JAPANESE fans who play Persona--like, maybe, teenagers, as opposed to twenty-something geek-connosseuir adults--don't mind the "High school orphan" plots at all.
(Either the "Boarding-school dorms" of P3, or the "Living on your own in a new town" of P4, either way it's the Independence Fantasy that drives most anime shows for the age group...Yeah, Dad, remember when you wished you could time-manage your own independent schedules and funds all to yourself and that was a big deal? Maybe that's why we get so many shows about city-sized school academies.)

Whether P3 and P4 were hits or not, it's like Final Fantasy ignoring everything that ever happened before FFV: P1 and P2 were ancient history. Anything from here on in is going to follow P3/4's model, which is why we still have the Glasses fetish.
Innocent Sin has now been downgraded to just a P3 in-joke, and the sighs of gamers long gone by. Sad
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
So, does this version of the Street Fighter II anime include the much-demanded uncut shower scene?
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
The JAPANESE fans who play Persona--like, maybe, teenagers, as opposed to twenty-something geek-connosseuir adults--don't mind the "High school orphan" plots at all.

I don't mind it either. I was simply making an observation.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:

Of course then you might as well do a whole new series because Persona has been tied to the high school setting ever since its inception much like how the main Shin Megami Tensei entries are ALWAYS centered around Tokyo.
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Innocent Sin has now been downgraded to just a P3 in-joke, and the sighs of gamers long gone by. Sad

If you're talking about the in-universe online game, that was Atlus USA's translators (the Japanese version was a reference to the original "MegaTen"). If you mean the "Who's Who" thing, I don't think that's meant as a "joke," just a little nod to those who played the earlier games that the characers have moved on with their lives.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Of course then you might as well do a whole new series because Persona has been tied to the high school setting ever since its inception much like how the main Shin Megami Tensei entries are ALWAYS centered around Tokyo.

And given how spinoff MegaTens have taken place in non-Tokyo locales, there's certainly non-high school potential for a new Persona offshoot Wink

But again, this is just an observation. I have no actual say in what Atlus can/should/etc. do with the Persona series. All I can reasonably ask for is that the games maintain a certain standard of quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2