• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film in Early Talks With The Wolf of Wall Street Actress Margot

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Well this is surprising.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jajanken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
This has to be a first next to Dragon Ball evo.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Eh. At this point, this has been in production way too long for me to have any faith in it. It's perfectly possible to make a good Ghost in the Shell live action movie but only if they actually step up with the funding and talent required. And that seems increasingly unlikely the longer it gets kicked around.
daichi383

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I've not seen anything she's been in and she's a tad young but i can see it. All she really needs is an air of intelligence and a commanding presence which shouldn't be too hard for an good actor to pull off but as i said i'm unfamiliar with her work. Gonna stay cautiously optimistic if she does get cast.

The writer however i would be wary of. Not got much faith on that front, wish studios would actively seek good writers and not just guys they have hanging around. Not even a good director (which Sanders hardly is) can save a bad script.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh lord. That entire staff has nothing but bad movies behind it's belt.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I can't say am excited when you have the director of Snow White and the Huntsman on it. If only Ridley Scott weren't past his prime I'd have him direct it.
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I think it's about time this movie is made. It's a great story concept, worthy of what people expect from movies these days.

My only problem is can the movie measure up to what we've already seen in other futuristic films???

There's been all kinds of visions of cyborgs, from "Terminator" to "A.I.", not to mention we've seen every kind of future city in many movies already.... "Blade Runner", "I Robot", "Star Trek" (2009 & 2013), "Thor", Star Wars"..... need I go on?? Unless a GITS movie can stand out with what's already been done, it might be ignored ("Oh, it's just another futuristic movie again").

I hate to say this, but when I think about a GITS movie, my first images are of the movie "I Robot", meaning "It's been done already".

My hope is the that the storyline is based in Japan, where it's easy to believe this could take place.

Also, although I don't have a problem with Margot Robbie, I'm thinking that Olivia Wilde could also play the Major... it's just a thought.

Here's hoping....... Wink
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Oh lord. That entire staff has nothing but bad movies behind it's belt.

their* Rolling Eyes

The future is not a mirror image of the past no matter how dated your opinion is. Rolling Eyes
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Eh. At this point, this has been in production way too long for me to have any faith in it. It's perfectly possible to make a good Ghost in the Shell live action movie but only if they actually step up with the funding and talent required. And that seems increasingly unlikely the longer it gets kicked around.

I agree. It's been way too long coming.....
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
The future is not a mirror image of the past no matter how dated your opinion is.

No, but it's usually a good indication of what they're capable of, otherwise you'd never have high expectations for directors you do like. I'd rather these films not get made as I'm sure it's more likely to become another Robocop 2014 and not Dredd 3D. The best you could hope for is just a harmless dumb action film with a sanitized, unchallenging, and neatly packaged script that's under two hours and doesn't entirely butcher anything Shirow or Oshii were aiming for.

I'm still under the impression that Edge of Tomorrow is more a fluke than anything else.

Jajanken wrote:
This has to be a first next to Dragon Ball evo.

A first for what? It can't be the first Hollywood film made off of Japanese anime/manga property, your post makes no sense.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Maybe their plans are in more development that James Cameron's Battle Angel.
SonOfaMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
The people making this movie better have watched Stand Alone Complex. Rolling Eyes
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a live action Hollywood movie based on a well known anime/manga property is actually making progress? Color me shocked!

I just hope that this doesn't pull an Akira and just cast a white actor to play characters with obviously Japanese names and that if you're going to cast a white actor, you either change it or if you don't change it and just keep the original Japanese name, then why not go all the way and just hire a Japanese actor for the role instead?
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
I just hope that this doesn't pull an Akira and just cast a white actor to play characters with obviously Japanese names and that if you're going to cast a white actor, you either change it or if you don't change it and just keep the original Japanese name, then why not go all the way and just hire a Japanese actor for the role instead?

Well, since they can move peoples brains into artificial bodies, they could say that a Japanese national decided to have a cybornetic body that looked like a white person, yet kept their Japanese name.
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sobe wrote:
The future is not a mirror image of the past no matter how dated your opinion is.

No, but it's usually a good indication of what they're capable of, otherwise you'd never have high expectations for directors you do like. I'd rather these films not get made as I'm sure it's more likely to become another Robocop 2014 and not Dredd 3D. The best you could hope for is just a harmless dumb action film with a sanitized, unchallenging, and neatly packaged script that's under two hours and doesn't entirely butcher anything Shirow or Oshii were aiming for.

Actually, the best one could "hope" for is far more than you could sum up throughout your life it seems given your post history. Rolling Eyes Deciding if the apple is rotten or not before it even falls from the tree is a good indication you're the type that is surprised at the minor details than the big picture because of your "hope."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3