• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY - By Request

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely going to check out Vinland Saga as soon as I can; all the praise I've heard about it has to warrant at least that.

I'm thrilled to see my instincts towards Gangsta were on-point. It felt early on like a cousin to Shirow Miwa's DOGs: Bullets & Carnage series, but so far it's painted a clearer picture.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to hear about your dog, Rebecca. Sad

About three weeks ago my dog Harley was put down as well; he developed a cancerous mass on his lung, and sadly I had to find out via a text message from my mother. Luckily I was able to get to see him for a few minutes before he was put down. He was about 12 years old, and I know he lived a long, happy, and enjoyable life. The pain is the hardest thing to get over, but the worst of it will pass in time. Just try to think of the positives whenever it's possible.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
My condolences about your dog, Rebecca.

My parents recently had to have one of our cats put down due to kidney failure, so I know how it feels. He also had a fairly long life, but I still cried a lot when I heard about it. Especially since our other cats are getting up in years, too, so I know I'm going to have to deal with even more grief soon. Pets are like family, and losing one is always really hard.

--

It's a bummer to hear that Happy Marriage flounders so much. Confused I have the first couple of volumes and haven't gotten to them yet, but I've been really eager to read them when I'm in the mood for some josei romance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Condolences for your dog. It's always hard to say goodbye to your animal companions, especially when they've lived with you for so long.

I've been reading Vinland Saga myself from the beginning, and it is amazing! I don't think I've ever read something that so utterly fairly presents the old viking culture/warrior culture thing as this one, good and bad sides taken into consideration... from multiple angles.

Also, thank you for bringing up Aria. I was almost beside myself when Tokyopop picked up ADV's slack and even went a little beyond it, and patiently waited for each volume. I think I had to wait two years for volume 6 to be released, and that was to be the end of it.

It's amazing to think that the anime -- well, the first season -- will reach ten years of age next year. At least Rightstuf released the anime in its entirety, and I do mean entirety... for which I will be forever grateful.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about your dog Sad I've never had dogs, but I've lost a few cats to cars, so I know the pain of losing them.

Gangsta sounds like something I might want to check out. Also Blood Lad.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Aria actually had 8 volumes published by Tokyopop, sort of.
The two volumes of "Aqua" were the first two volumes of the Aria series.
Volume 1 of "Aria" was volume 3 of the story.

Tokyopop's volume 1 of "Aria" starts with this:
"STORY SO FAR
If you haven't read the two volumes of "Aqua" that precede this book, here is what you missed:
..."

The title was changed in Japan because of a change of publishers.

Due to the nature of the story it really was possible to start with the third volume and not notice that you had skipped two volumes. I do not consider that to be a bad thing. It is one of the more attractive aspects of the series for me.

I think that the anime started with "Aria" and went back and got the "Aqua" stories later.

In case I did not mention it, I love Aria. Manga and anime.Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
It's funny, Happy Marriage?! doesn't seem like my cup of tea...but I'm very curious about it ever since I saw it on a RTO awhile back. Think that I may eventually jump into that one, but I can at least continue to read about it here. Laughing

On Blood Lad, I hadn't realised that YenPress were releasing that one in the omnibus format. From what I can see, it seems like they're close to catching up to the Japanese releases.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
First, I'm very sorry for your loss. I had to put my dog down last November - it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. She had a wonderful life, but I still miss her terribly. I wish you the best.

Vinland Saga spoiler alert...spoiler[I was genuinely surprised with the twist in Thorfinn's storyline. Vinland Saga could have easily been a typical shonen-styled piece where Thor becomes a stronger and stronger warrior who eventually uses his strength for some mega-battle. Although I'll miss his epic fighting scenes, I appreciate how Yukimura guides the story in a different direction. It's a lot like how Flowers of Evil pushes itself after the festival scene, even though a typical manga would have stopped there.]

Vinland Saga's pacing, artwork, characterization, and storyline are superb. I hope your review helps it find an even bigger fan base.

PS: Do you think they'll ever make Vinland Saga into an anime?
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:39 am Reply with quote
I guess some readers who particularly liked Vinland Saga for its action will be disappointed by this new arc spoiler[especially if they are expecting Thorfinn to fight his way out of slavery...], but i absolutely loved it.

It was the first time i actually became interested in Thorfinn as a character. Before he's just your typical revenge-driven but otherwise rather boring brat and pretty much everyone, especially Askeladd, is more interesting than him. But in this arc he's finally starting to grow as a person and become a main character i'm able to root for.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. It really means a lot to me.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca have you ever seen the poem "The Power of the Dog" by Rudyard Kipling? I recommend it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1