• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: John Lasseter Gave A Heartfelt Speech About Miyazaki

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I always liked John Lasseter. He and his Pixar comrades saved Disney from the creative hell Eisner put them in back in 2005. Before John took over the animation department, they were making crappy movies, and they stupidly got rid of hand-drawn animation in order to become a factory of Shrek retreads (Chicken Little anyone? Ugh!). But look what Disney put out under Lasseter, The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Winnie the Pooh, Wreck-it Ralph for the gamers and geeks out there, and of course... Frozen (perhaps their biggest hit as of 2014). All great movies that take risks, are just overall good movies, and projects Walt Disney himself would have done. Of course there's also the upcoming Big Hero 6. I can't wait to see that one, especially because of the anime influences it has, and the fact that it's set in a Japanese-controlled San Francisco (or in this case, San Fransokyo). What more could you ask for? You can definitely tell Lasseter's Disney put their heart and soul into this film, especially because of Lasseter's love for Japanese animation and Hayao Miyazaki's work in particular. By the way, Bang Zoom! Entertainment debuted an English dub of Stand By Me Doraemon at that same festival. Wonder if Lasseter stuck around to see that particular movie. hmmm...

Last edited by CastMember1991 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Wait they have an English dub of the new Doraemon movie and we don't have a DVD release for it? Shocked Exclamation
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Well this is very touching and inspirational, I agreed what Lasseter gave was heart touching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I remember Lasseter saying any time they [pixar] got stuck they would watch a Miyazaki film.

I also remember him talking about their first meeting and how Miyazaki was so dazzled by what they had done with computers. His exchanges about their friendship are just endlessly entertaining.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
And according to Miyazaki, it was "Red's Dream" that first made him a John Lasseter fan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKgK2jagELw

(And if we don't get at least somebody trying to release the Bang-Zooms of either the '14 Doraemon series or SBMD by this time next year, something's seriously wrong.)
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
And according to Miyazaki, it was "Red's Dream" that first made him a John Lasseter fan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKgK2jagELw

(And if we don't get at least somebody trying to release the Bang-Zooms of either the '14 Doraemon series or SBMD by this time next year, something's seriously wrong.)

I think we should give Doraemon time to gain its legs here in the States. It took Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z a while to get popular here, and look where they are now.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
These men's relationship together is so charming. When it comes down to it they're really just grown children doing what they love. And I wonder if Lasseter has seen The Tale of Princess Kaguya yet? I'd like to assume he has considering how big of a fan he is, but I'm also aware that he is likely very busy with other things. I don't think I've ever heard him talk about Takahata before so...
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I love and admire both John Lasseter and Hayao Miyazaki. They're two of my hero's in the world of art and animation. They're just two amazingly creative people. It just amazes me that two of my hero's are both very good friends! It's just too cool!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I think we should give Doraemon time to gain its legs here in the States. It took Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z a while to get popular here, and look where they are now.

That was also when the market was slim-pickens and Toonami corralled kids into watching anime with a convenient time slot when they got home from school on a basic cable channel. And you're also talking about a series aimed at an even younger crowd, I doubt I would have cared to watched Doraemon when I was 12.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

That was also when the market was slim-pickens and Toonami corralled kids into watching anime with a convenient time slot when they got home from school on a basic cable channel. And you're also talking about a series aimed at an even younger crowd, I doubt I would have cared to watched Doraemon when I was 12.

Have you even WATCHED the current dub? Smile
(I don't get X-D, but I was on vacation, and set my alarm for 6am every morning just to catch the Disney reruns.)
It's pretty sellable. And that's from someone who used to watch the syndicated DB:Classic dub when it was on local stations.
Drac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
John Lasseter makes an impassioned speech about Hayao Miyazaki? How sweet.

I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing Disney get slammed with that lawsuit over their little Wage Cartel they've been running.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote
I remember when the first three Ghibli DVDs came out from Disney all at the same time (Kiki, Castle in the Sky, and I think Nausicaa?), each with an introduction from Lassiter at the front, all seemingly shot at the same time and delivered with the same sincerity ("you're so lucky, because you get to watch Kiki's Delivery Service")… my wife and I would kind of make fun of it and do "this is my faaaaaavorite movie" (because they're all his favorite) in our best John Lassiter voice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1