• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ryō Ishiyama's Mitsukubi Condor Manga to End Saturday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
That one got axed pretty quickly, not even 6 months.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Wait, this series will end with 16 chapters. How is it getting 3 volumes? These are typically 2 volumes.

And yea, it's been expected for the past month plus. This cancellation round is basically Mitsukubi Condor and Yoakemono getting the axe while Naruto wraps up.
yappers4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Why are Shounen Jump titles getting axed more frequently than ever? What do the readers actually want or look for in the latest titles? FYI, "something that does not suck/isn't garbage" are not reasonable answers as everybody has different tastes and preferences than the person making such a comment.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Not exactly an answerable question since the frequency of WSJ titles getting axed is still basically the same. 4-5 rounds a year; 2-3 series a round is the norm.
But if you want to assert that the frequency is going upward, you're welcome to make an attempt to prove it.
yappers4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I have found a list of titles that have been cut recently:

Hachi -Tokyo 23 ku-
Iron Knight
Illegal Rare
iShojo
Stealth Symphony
Tokyo Wonder Boys

With Mitsukubi Condor ending this week, that makes 8 so far this year.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Now, when you say more frequently, there is a second component. When comparing A and B, you present not only A, but B as well. In this case, you would then follow up with the cancellation rate of previous years.

For example, in 2013, the series that people would generally agree to be axed would be:
Kurogane, Date-senpai, Hungry Joker, Kiruko-san, Cross Manage, Koisuru Edison, Mutou Black, Smoky BB, Kurokuroku, and Hime-dol; 10 cancellations.
And so forth and so forth.

Edit: Alternatively, you can count the number of new serializations in each year. The number of series that WSJ runs at a time tends to stay within a particular range, so while not exact (plus doesn't account for short series), you can estimate 1 new series = 1 finished series. Then you can look through the list of series run in WSJ on wikipedia and count for any given year the number of new series. Like 13 serializations started in 1985. Or 19 in 1981. Or 20 in 1980. That was a...different era.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
iShojo

Wasn't it transferred to a different magazine though?
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
iShoujo failed out into Jump Plus.
It's somewhere in between survival and definitely cut, but way closer to axed than not. It was a bottom dweller for a majority of its short WSJ life.
Speaking of which, there's also Soul Catcher(S) getting demoted to Jump NEXT. Same with Beelzebub (which I've heard as being a 1 year swan song...but only from 1 source I can't verify, so grain of salt).
(when you get bumped down from WSJ to something that publishes 6 times a year due to your low rankings/sales/revenue, that's an axing with some measure of dignity)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1