• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sailor Moon Crystal 2014 + 2015 merge?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Why is Sailor Moon Crystal split into two series? There's no name change, no schedule interruption, no change in staff, and the episode numbers don't change. Shouldn't it be one ongoing series?
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Seconded. There is no reason why anime#15693 and anime#16591 should be separate. The numbering continues on, and while the word "season" has been used in reference to the second arc in translated articles, I've seen reports that the Japanese word used is much more vague, and can simply refer to it being the second arc.

Even more of a point, is that there is no definitive "end" for the first series. Episode 14 is listed as part of the second series, yet it's quite clearly the final episode of the previous arc, at the same time as being the first episode of the new one.

This isn't a case of the original anime, where there's clearly a change between seasons, or other series that differentiate between their first and latter portions by denoting a II with them. This is simply a continuation of the same series, just with a new storyarc.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
I also agree, since there was no break it should be one entry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
The official policy is to split series whenever they can be
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
^
Just FYI: the link "series" is dead.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
Fixed. (moved from staff to public forum)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
The "split" thread really isn't valid in this case. There was no gap between the episodes, and with it only being 26 episodes, you can't really argue that it's "long running" to the point where the staff list would be too long (Precure runs for the same amount of time with double the episodes, yet no one clamors to split its entries).

"Series" also is looking more at movie anthologies or things that have multiple seasons. As I stated above, the word "season" is used in English-language articles, but the Japanese word is much more ambiguous and can refer to story arcs.

"Whenever" is also not valid in this case, as it refers specifically to long series, and references One Piece specifically as an example.

"They" does acknowledge shorter, 26-episode series, but I'm still not convinced that Sailor Moon is 2 seasons. It was, from the start, advertised as a 26-episode series (not 2 13-episode series, like other shows that are split). This is why, when the word "season" was used in articles for the second arc, people thought there were going to be more episodes.

"Can be" actually supports the two being a single entry. The reasons for splitting a show in that thread are as follows: a) very different characters/casts (no, the cast is staying on, other than a couple new characters and a change in vilains); b) length of production leading to changes in staff (nope, only a year, there's not a huge difference in staff); c) the series is an anthology with different staff for each segment (nope, one series).

I still see no reason these should be separate. By this reasoning, honestly, the original Sailor Moon R should be split into two entries, since there were two storylines. Or the first however-many episodes of Sailor Moon Stars, finishing up the Neherenia storyline, from the stuff with Galaxia. There's as much difference between those as there are between the first and second halves of Sailor Moon Crystal. Heck, in SMC, the arcs switch in the same episode, even, making that episode part of BOTH arcs.

What about Slayers? At least the first two series (the only ones I've seen) have two clear story arcs, with a bunch of filler in the middle. Should they be split into two seasons per series?

Or, going to an even longer series, Fullmetal Alchemist (either version). There's multiple storyarcs for that, that just continued into each other. Announcements were made for new cast joining, and other cast left. So should each new story arc have its own entry for being a different "season"?

I think, at this point, we need to define what constitutes a "season". Obviously, a change in title, or a definitive gap (at least a cour, not 1-2 weeks where other programming is shown), constitute a separate season. But what about long-running shows, like One Piece? Do you separate them out based on story arc? What about shorter shows, like Sailor Moon Crystal? If there's no indication that there is a "season change," do you arbitrarily pick the halfway point? Pick where the opening changes (SMC doesn't have an opening change)? Or should there be a minimum length for a show to be split?

IMO, a 26-episode series without a change in title, gap in airing, or staff changes (baring partial cast changes due to new characters showing up) doesn't constitute two "seasons".
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
^ Everything they just said. There's no gap between seasons, it's only 26 episodes (a standard series length before the extremely recent glut of 12-13 episode series), the story arcs overlap in episode 14, there's no significant staff and cast changes other than a few villains (and again, some of them overlap, so you'd have to list them in both series), there's no change in title (no added subtitle like you find with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, no "2" or "II," you have to stick in an awkward parenthetical year at the end), and it's not so old that it can be argued that it's "grandfathered" in. None of those links explain why merging them doesn't make sense in this specific instance.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
I created entry #16591 because

1) The official website had specifically stated a "second season/series," along with a disambiguating suffix 「ブラック・ムーン編」, new key visual, etc.
Quote:
さらに、来年1月よりニコニコ動画ほかにて配信開始予定のアニメ第2期「ブラック・ムーン編」のキービジュアルも当イベントで初解禁となりました! キービジュアルには、キューティムーンロッドを手に持つセーラームーンら5戦士に加え、2期より登場となる人気キャラクター・セーラーちびムーンも描かれています。

2) It is not uncommon the US licensee separated a single series into two or more series, or the other way around. With the reason stated in the paragraph above I'd say the case of Sailor Moon Crystal is more justifiable than those.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
We still have the problem of the first half of episode 13 containing the conclusion of season one and the second half having the beginning of season 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
We still have the problem of the first half of episode 13 containing the conclusion of season one and the second half having the beginning of season 2.

I agree that it's a bit odd splitting, but I remember at the Animate Girls' Fair they said it was "2-ki," or second season. Since the Japanese officials are treating it this way, I say we keep it this way on the encyclopedia. I PERSONALLY would feel better having it all on one page, but meh, what can ya do, it's Toei.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
I'm against the splitting. If the episodes continue the numbering scheme, the series should not be split, IMHO.
The way anime is getting made has changed, so things like months-long hiatuses are going to become more and more commonplace. In those cases, I don't think the series should be split either.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
I personally like having separate seasons spilt, so that you can put each season as "seen all" on your anime list as you finish a season. I think it would be confusing for new seasons to get added to old entries as a lot of people might leave it set to "seen all" even if that is no longer true (especially when there is a long gap between seasons). Also, the quality of different seasons can vary greatly, and I want to be able to give them different ratings. So I disagree greatly with mrsatan's suggestion.

For a case like Sailor Moon Crystal, where I don't think there was a gap in production, it is less important to me that the seasons get separate pages, but I still would prefer two entries like there is now.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Reviving this since this article is specifically saying that 1-26 is the "first series", and that a second is coming this summer. I still feel that 1-26 should be a single entry, and I feel that this supports combining them, and using the 2015 entry for series 2, coming this summer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1